Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing light switches

Options
  • 12-03-2017 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hope everyone can help me. I am looking to change the light switches in my house but I have a specific requirement.

My wife has to have all of the switches facing a particular way when she's going to bed. I am trying to source two way button type light switches(think fancy hotel or fancy office type).

Can anyone recommend a supplier. I have searched online and closest I can find is a company called ads electronics in the UK.

Gonna try to attach picture

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭jackreacher

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Bigger question to ask yourself is can you run the new necessary wiring?

These (or anything similar) will require more than what's already in the wall of your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,712 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Hope everyone can help me. I am looking to change the light switches in my house but I have a specific requirement.

My wife has to have all of the switches facing a particular way when she's going to bed. I am trying to source two way button type light switches(think fancy hotel or fancy office type).

Can anyone recommend a supplier. I have searched online and closest I can find is a company called ads electronics in the UK.

MK are a good brand of light switches.

Simple Google search should point you in the right direction. Once you identify the switch part number, most electrical wholesalers should be able to source them for you.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=MK+light+switches&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:%7Breferrer:source%7D&ie=UTF-8&oe=&gws_rd=cr,ssl&ei=z8HFWKOjBojcgAb7p5HwBA

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭jackreacher

Cheers Steve, I was hoping it would be just a case of changing the switches. Zero intention of running wires for it. Is there a similar switch available than can be retro fitted to the existing one?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Not really unfortunately.

I presume your dilemma is to require all switches to be 'up' for off.

This is normal for one-light-one-switch rooms but in the case of dual switches, such as halls and landings it just requires the switches to be in an opposite state (depending on how it is wired, this means both up, both down or opposite).

I'm not sure there is anything out there that can satisfy what you need without adding wiring. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 obrien88

Get a new wife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Where's the problem. Set the connections in 2 way switches so they are off when both set the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

If she's concerned enough that all switches be pointing the same way she can surely cope with always using the same switch in even number uses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If she's concerned enough that all switches be pointing the same way she can surely cope with always using the same switch in even number uses.
    Even number of uses? You switch them on they are on, off they are off....

Two way to be off when both rockers the same way requires wiring L1 to L2, L2 to L1 if using the traditional wiring method probably. If thats what the OP was looking for, not really sure.

Advertisement