Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coca Cola Boyne 10k 2017

Options
  • 12-03-2017 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

www.boyne10k.ie

3pm 30th April 2017 West Street Drogheda.

Early bird entry closing at midnight on Wednesday (15th March).

A great 10k, on an interesting course with spectacular views of the Boyne Valley. Fab finish on the main street of Drogheda, with live music and tremendous support. Add to that a great goody bag and really nice t-shirt, fantastic spread in the Laurence Centre post-race and a great local pub scene if you want to make the most of the bank holiday Sunday....sure what more could you ask for :-)

Hope to see you there.

Almost forgot to mention, large cash prize fund this year with all categories covered, and course bonus to boot. I can share prize listings if anyone wants them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭caseyjones1

Here's the attachment of the prize fund for this year's Coca Cola Boyne 10k. Nice soft men's course record of 32.01 ...there for the taking :D

And 34.14 is the ladies course record...for those interested :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Here's the attachment of the prize fund for this year's Coca Cola Boyne 10k. Nice soft men's course record of 32.01 ...there for the taking :D

nice prize fund

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

Hi
    Planning on running this race as my first 10k, can't wait.

A logistics question, where is the best place to park on the day?
    Thanks

Dealerz wrote: »
    Hi
    Planning on running this race as my first 10k, can't wait.

A logistics question, where is the best place to park on the day?
    Thanks

As it's a Sunday all outdoor parking is free, you could park opposite scotch hall(across the river), you could park beside the garda station.

If you dont mind paying you could park in the Laurences centre where the numbers & goodie bags are handed out, there's also parking around the streets outside the shopping center

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭positron

Parking in Scotch Hall could be an option - it's not that expensive and very handy if you are coming up from the south.

caseyjones1, are there any pacers this year?

There is but the times are tbc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm missing the GIR so thinking of trying out for this...though based on the interval session I've just done I should probably hold back from a 10k for a few extra weeks. :mad:

Pacers will be there for 50 and 60 mins. Parking will be free in the Laurence Centre as far as I know. Racoon Queen even if you just ran it easy it's worth it, great t-shirt/goody bag and one of the best post race spreads around. The fact that it starts/finishes on West Street means a great atmosphere but there's great support the whole way round. Lots of music/samba band etc along the course.

• Advertisement

Scotch Hall very cheap for parking and lots and lots of free street parking around Drogheda on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Scotch hall is free all day sunday. Far easier than lawrence street to get in an out of on race day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Would the train be an option..?

Yes absolutely, it's about a ten minute walk at most from the train station to the start/finish.

Little bit of geeky info on the Coca-Cola Boyne 10k

2010 Mark Hoey 34.17 Mairead Murphy (?) 40.29
    2011 Simon Ryan 33.17 Aoife Brady 39.38
    2012 Simon Ryan 32.12 Fiona Roche 35.39
    2013 Robbie Mathews 32.09 Kate O Neill 38.02
    2014 Simon Ryan 32.01 Fiona Roche 35.23
    2015 Brian McCluskey 33.07 Karen Lavelle 39.34
    2016 Gary O Hanlon: 32:09 Deirdre Byrne 34:14

Signed up last night

Preview of t-shirts!

Hi
    So this is my first race, what time should you get there to register etc? Is there a secure bag drop area?

Anything else to be aware of?

I am just after getting this in an email:
    Race number collection

Race numbers can be collected on Friday 28th April from 12pm to 8pm and Saturday 29th April 10am to 6pm in the Laurence Shopping Centre, Drogheda. Goody bags and T-shirt will be given out with your race number. There will be limited number collection from 12pm to 2pm on Sunday howeevletsr we suggest that you collect your number and bag prior to this as there will be large queues. T-Shirts will be distributed based on the shirt size provided during registration.
    Toilets, Bag drop and Late entry

There are limited amount of toilets in the centre, if you can please try and use alternatives along the way. A bag drop facility will be in operation in the Laurence Shopping Centre from 1pm to 5pm sharp. Late entry is available on Friday 28th April from 12pm to 8pm, Saturday 29th April 10am to 6pm and race day from 12pm to 2pm. The late entry fee is €30.00.
    Warm up

This year we are delighted to welcome Energie Fitness as a sponsor and they have offered to get everyone’s motor running with a lively warm up routine. The Warm-up will begin at 2.25pm at the steps of St Peters Church on West St

I was planning on getting the train but just seen this on the Irish Rail site.

Bus Transfers

Due to engineering Works taking place between Killester and Skerries on Saturday 29th and Sunday 30th April bus transfer will operate between Skerries, Donabate and Dublin Connolly and between Drogheda and Dublin Connolly. Iarnrod Eireann Irish Rail apologise for any inconvenience caused.

• Advertisement

Depending where you're coming from in Dublin, hopping onto a 'Matthews Coaches' bus (if you're not familiar with them, white buses with blue font on the side, stops on Cathal Brugha St, and drops to George's st. in drogheda, which is about a 5 minute slow walk to the start/finish of the 10k).

If you're not driving, I'd imagine there are fewer easier ways from Dublin.

Matthews is definitely easier and drops closer, than the train station. Bus Eireann's Station in drogheda is only about 5 minutes walk away from the start line, too. I think the distance from the train to the start line is too much messing, considering the buses are better options.

For those unfamiliar, here's a google map:

Train station to start line:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/53.712057,-6.3358234/53.7149734,-6.3525217/@53.7131883,-6.3488355,1334m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!4m1!3e2

Matthews stop on George's St to start line:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/53.7164481,-6.3570731/53.714981,-6.352442/@53.7158569,-6.3559915,334m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2

But neither is exactly a big inconvenience. Certainly better than navigating the ever-busy Dublin :)

Just got an email update- so no number collection today- tomorrow or Sunday only.

Dealerz wrote: »
    Just got an email update- so no number collection today- tomorrow or Sunday only.

Did you only get the email now? Should have gotten it yesterday at the latest, sorry about that.

Here's the info for anyone else with numbers to pick up:

Number and Race Pack Collection Arrangements for Coca-Cola Boyne 10k 2017

Online Registration – will close at Midnight on Friday 28th April
    Friday 28th April –NO RACE NUMBER COLLECTION AT LAURENCE SHOPPING CENTRE ON FRIDAY 28TH
    Saturday 29th April – Race number collection desks will be open from 9am to 7pm, upstairs in the Laurence Shopping Centre, next door to Boston Barbers, in the old Shanique Unit.
    Sunday 30th April – Race number collection and late entry desk will open at 11:45am and close at 2:30pm.

If you have any queries please contact us via our Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/Boyne10k/
    All other general information regarding race arrangements is available at www.boyne10k.ie/email

Thanks- got the email at 12.26 today.

Was going to go up this evening but luckily the email came first to save me a drive.

Ok great, well I'm glad you got it. Enjoy the 10k :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Great race as usual. Any chance of getting more races finish on west street, its made for a finish line.

First time running a 10k- god any ambition of a sub 50 got shot down at that hill around 7k. Really enjoyed the run and city centre atmosphere- brilliant for my first race. Finished with a 51.51.

Did Boyne 10k for the first time and now I can really appreciate all the good press about the race. Organisation is smooth, public support along the route is lovely, and the organizers have strategically placed the water station at around 6k mark just before the hill and there were half a dozen volunteers handing out jelly beans and shouting encouragement as you hit the hill at 7k - you couldn't possibly slow for a walk with all that going on! From there on, towns people have turned out in force to cheer you on and as you cross the river for last 400 meters or so, it's jam packed with people, music, noise - you couldn't help it but sprint to the finish line with a smile.

Minor room for improvement type suggestions would be that it would be great if they could get the announcements, music, noise and excitement all the way to the back of the column of runners, where most of the 50m+ crowd were - waiting there we couldn't tell if there was anything happening at the start line at all. Everything else was spot on, but may be throw in a medal? Or a fridge magnet perhaps?

Really enjoyed the race, many thanks to the organizers and super proud of this town as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

2nd time I did this 10k, 1st was '14. I like the route hate the hill but am not afraid of the challenge so I came back today. Top class event, great marshalling but also great Garda involvement too to keep the traffic at bay. Local support fantastic.

I was off script by the 6th km,happy with the 1st 5k but knew the hill awaited. Struggled up it but the downhill on the far side was equally immense, was at 5.55 pace at one point ..... and the world seemed good again until the man at the entrance to the park at 9k announced what time we were at and that kyboshed my comeback! Lost the faith after that but got home 50 secs off my pb so happy enough.

See ya next time!

• Advertisement
Advertisement