Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SuperValu MultiPacks Rip Off

Options
  • 13-03-2017 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭

I was in a SuperValu today buying a few bits. Was at self service till and noticed product would not scan, looked at barcode to see there was none only text saying" Part of a multi buy not for sale separately"
    Staff member came over with one with a barcode on it and scanned that one and took it with her then again, won't be shopping here again as I feel it's ripping off customers. Funny part is this product was on SV promo cycle a few months ago as I got a txt but staff said they didn't get any promo stock in, now I know where the promo stock ended up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Its not illegal , but is against the suppliers recommendation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Its not illegal , but is against the suppliers recommendation

Bollox

I suppose "not reccomended to be sold seperately as per suppliers recommendation" is too much text

It's cheaper goods for them, price remains the same

If it was dearer from their supplier it would go up in price in a heartbeat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

The promo was 9 packets for €12.50 their now selling them seperate for €3.45

Just googled promo this was

http://beadyeyebargains.com/water-wipes-in-supervalu-better-than-half-price-this-week-now-e12-50-for-12pks/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Water wipes - are they food or drink? ;)

Water wipes - are they food or drink? ;)

They do the same with the food promos no need to be so anal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

I worked in retail for years. What usually happens is customers themselves break apart multipacks. It was the bane of my life. You are then left with a broken multipack, which has to be sold really.

Being super valu and an absolutely massive operation I could not imagine them doing this practice on purpose. There was some mistake along the line, either a staff member opening multipacks by a mistake or customers breaking them. You just happened to purchase in the intervening period before a manager had dealt with it, and the staff handled it this way unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It was said in jest. Jeez!

But just a thought...
    You referred to a non-food item & a topic better related to the Consumer Issues forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

It was said in jest. Jeez!

But just a thought...
    You referred to a non-food item & a topic better related to the Consumer Issues forum.

My bad, apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Moved to Consumer Issues - liam7831, keep it civil, please.

• Advertisement

eurokev wrote: »
    I worked in retail for years. What usually happens is customers themselves break apart multipacks. It was the bane of my life. You are then left with a broken multipack, which has to be sold really.

Being super valu and an absolutely massive operation I could not imagine them doing this practice on purpose. There was some mistake along the line, either a staff member opening multipacks by a mistake or customers breaking them. You just happened to purchase in the intervening period before a manager had dealt with it, and the staff handled it this way unfortunately

They have a stand full of packets with no barcodes must be well over 100 on it.

Most Musgraves are franchises who own one or two stores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

liam7831 wrote: »
    They have a stand full of packets with no barcodes must be well over 100 on it.

Most Musgraves are franchises who own one or two stores
    Do they actually buy them cheaper from the supplier?

Does 100 singles Mars bars cost more than 100 multipack Mars bars when yourr buying them I'm huge bulk.

I have a sneaking suspicion they cost the same to Supervalu no matter which way they're packed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

I've noticed loads of issues with special offers not scanning correctly

Also they advertise a special offer on a packet of biscuits or a cereal for example but the shelf is then stacked full of a slightly different size product at a higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

What exactly is the rip off? if you buy one item at the individual item price, ie as advertised, you are no worse off.

the retailer increases his margin, but not at your expense.

Advertisement