Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions on Privacy Policy, cookies, etc...

Options
  • 13-03-2017 4:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm working through an ecommerce build for a small company here and next on my task list is getting a Privacy Policy done up. It's a Wordpress / WooCommerce build, selling physical products, payment undecided but likely via Stripe or Sagepay... nothing too out of the ordinary.

I've had a look around at some other small Irish online shops and looked at templates and pointers here and there to get an idea of what's required. I'm happy enough that I can get something written up myself and I've avoided the various template generators available as most of them seem to be aimed at the US market.

I've two main questions to begin...

1. The site will be selling and shipping physical products and offering onsite services across Ireland and Northern Ireland for now, possibly selling products into the UK mainland in a few months. The actual site and content is hosted in Dublin and the company I'm building for is registered in the Republic. Most Privacy Policies I've seen quote something like "in accordance with the provisions of the Data Protection Act of 1988 and 2003" and link to the DPC website. As this site will be selling into NI also, is the site bound by UK data protection laws also or just Irish data protection laws?

2. This EU Cookie nonsense. I hadn't thought of this until I started reading some sample policies and noticed most detail cookie use. I'm not knowingly using cookies but having a quick check here, it seems Wordpress uses them and WooCommerce uses a number of them to manage items in basket, etc. Do I have to have one of those ridiculous "we use cookies" popups on this site or what's the story with that? I really hope not. Those drop-down cookie banners are a plague and most are so badly implemented that they ruin user experience, some even making navigation impossible

Apologies if this isn't the appropriate forum

Thx

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Re the EU Cookie nonsense, it's just something you have to do. Total PITA, but there you are. The UK sites can look forward to removing it after Brexit. ;)

I used a template service to implement it on my own business site.
    https://cookieconsent.insites.com/

A bit of CSS trickery enabled me to brand it exactly how I wanted it and remove any unwanted linkbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭sat matt

Dades wrote: »
    Re the EU Cookie nonsense, it's just something you have to do. Total PITA, but there you are. The UK sites can look forward to removing it after Brexit. ;)

I used a template service to implement it on my own business site.
    https://cookieconsent.insites.com/

A bit of CSS trickery enabled me to brand it exactly how I wanted it and remove any unwanted linkbacks.

Hmm... I guess I'll have to add it to my to-do list so

Thanks for the insites link. I like how most of their samples have it at the footer. I might go for a small informational bubble bottom-right of the home page. I like how boards have a Cookie Policy section detailing the cookies used and what they're for so I might add something similar into my Privacy Policy

Advertisement