Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I study art therapy?

• 13-03-2017 6:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi all, ive got a level 8 fine art degree and some experience working with special needs children. Id love to peruse a career in art therapy but im wondering what the job prospects are? I won't be doing the masters yet, I want to gain a teaching degree first so I can find stable work and save up for the art therapy degree, in the mean time im going to sign up for some short weekend art therapy courses in Dublin to gain personal experience but im aiming for completing the masters within the next 5 years. As a career is it a total waste of time or worth perusing? does anybody know what its like to work in this area? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks x

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I don't know much about art therapy but you should look into studying occupational therapy to see would that suit you better. Jobs still hard to get but it will widen your options a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Teapot30

I don't know much about art therapy but you should look into studying occupational therapy to see would that suit you better. Jobs still hard to get but it will widen your options a little.

No, i cant afford to and I don't want to do another 4 year level 8 course. Art therapy is a 2 year masters course. Its entirely different.

Teapot30 wrote: »
    No, i cant afford to and I don't want to do another 4 year level 8 course. Art therapy is a 2 year masters course. Its entirely different.

You can qualify as an OT in two years in UL as a postgrad. I think the opportunities would be limited enough for art therapy. It would work best alongside the teaching as a supplement to income rather than in and of itself. I'm basing this on a good friends sister who did the course and found the above to be true. There are some limited opportunities (e.g. In Crumlin hospital) I believe to be employed full time in this role.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Teapot30

Oh im sorry, I didnt know I could do it as a masters without the undergrad in a similar discipline, I just looked it up, it looks good. Thanks for your help

Advertisement