Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye wateringly expensive Chocolate in Dublin

Options
  • 13-03-2017 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Any ideas where I can buy some damn expensive chocolate in Dublin?

I'm looking to buy some as a gift, and want to spare no expense. Realised I cant think of anywhere with expensive choc off the top of my head.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

Cocoa Atlier on Drury st would be the best shout I think!

Boom jnto the Shelbourne - presume that'll be €300 or €400 - just to get the chocolate on your pillow. Take the chocolate and go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

BT do a box for €46, Butlers for 40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Butlers is relatively expensive but really good quality. And locally made.

Dont be buying that foreign muck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Just hand a shopkeeper 200 quid for a Mars Bar and tell them to keep the change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've moved this to the Dublin City Forum which is more appropriate.

Please pay attention to the local charter before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Cocoa Atlier on Drury st would be the best shout I think!

+1 for this.
    Best fancy pants chocco you're likely to get... and it's local business too.
    Will leave a good impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭antonymous

whiskeyman wrote: »
    +1 for this.
    Best fancy pants chocco you're likely to get... and it's local business too.
    Will leave a good impression.

Sounds like the place then.Although I like Butlers, I'm looking for something a little more pricey, high quality, with more wow factor. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Proper Order, a cafe off Smithfield, has a curated selection of Cocoa Runners rather expensive chocolates from around the world.

Bean & Goose are doing some higher end Irish chocolate. Should be in Industry, Lilliput Stores, Indigo & Cloth, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Isn't butlers just remelted Belgian chocolate? Does anyone in Ireland actually make chocolate from Cocoa beans??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Space Dog

enda1 wrote: »
    Does anyone in Ireland actually make chocolate from Cocoa beans??

Hazel Mountain Chocolate are Irish and make their own chocolate, they have shops in the Burren and in Galway and probably an online shop, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

enda1 wrote:
    Isn't butlers just remelted Belgian chocolate? Does anyone in Ireland actually make chocolate from Cocoa beans??

Bean and Goose also Wilkies.

OP any of the Irish roasters mentioned or Coco Atelier would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Maybe Leonidas in that arch place off Dawson street. Wouldn't describe it as "eye watering", but it's certainly premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Iolar Iontach

Space Dog wrote: »
    Hazel Mountain Chocolate are Irish and make their own chocolate, they have shops in the Burren and in Galway and probably an online shop, too.

It's sold in Urbanity in Smithfield. They have a pretty good selection of bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

Another vote for Cocoa Atelier from me. The chocolates are delicious and they look gorgeous and packed lovely. They do special Easter Eggs too if it's for Easter, or can make up a box of chocolates there for you either. Check out their FB for an idea of what they look like!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Cocoa Atelier.
    Also Fallon & Byrne on Exchequer St have a good selection of chocolate - Irish made and also foreign brands.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Booja booja truffles from down to earth or another health shop, amazing

http://www.boojabooja.com/chocolate-truffles/collections/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

enda1 wrote: »

Yep, probably that 70% one from Lidl. €1.29. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

antonymous wrote: »
    I'm looking for something a little more pricey, high quality, with more wow factor. :cool:

It's chocolate, not cocaine.
    A box of chocolates for €300 isn't going to be infinitely more amazing than a box for €50.

Unless you leave the price on them the recipient more than likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference... unless of course they are a chocolatier or something.

If you do purposely leave the price on them or tell them the price you will probably come off as a bit of a twat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Any chocolate in your eye would make it water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I've a box of gone off roses op, yours for 600 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

kleefarr wrote: »
    Yep, probably that 70% one from Lidl. €1.29. :rolleyes:

What? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Regardless of price, think of the person you're gifting it to.

Some people, myself included, get absolutely vile 'wine-hangover-like' headaches after a cocoa heavy chocolate binge.

Leonidas might have some here eye rolling, but it might be perfect for someone that gets cocoa headaches. Not everyone tolerates it.

Valrhona box of samples in M&S

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

A box of chocolates for €300 isn't going to be infinitely more amazing than a box for €50.

Unless you leave the price on them the recipient more than likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference... unless of course they are a chocolatier or something.

If you do purposely leave the price on them or tell them the price you will probably come off as a bit of a twat too.

Well, aren't you just a bundle of joy ! :rolleyes:

You most definitely can tell the difference between the seriously good stuff and, the priciest box of chox from Butlers imo. Butlers chox are pretty damm good, but they are hardly the Rolls Royce of chocolate.

+1 from me to for Coco Atelier. My cousin and her new hubby were given gift vouchers from there as a wedding prezzie. ( Hey, it beats a toaster ! ) They were raving about how good it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

ProudDUB wrote: »

You most definitely can tell the difference between the seriously good stuff and, the priciest box of chox from Butlers imo. Butlers chox are pretty damm good, but they are hardly the Rolls Royce of chocolate.

+1 from me to for Coco Atelier. My cousin and her new hubby were given gift vouchers from there as a wedding prezzie. ( Hey, it beats a toaster ! ) They were raving about how good it was.

Blind taste taste and your typical pretentious "connoisseur" won't have a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,079 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Chocolates melt, and it will all taste the same when you lick it off of her.
    Why not buy her a piece of Jewellery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Charbonnel and Walker truffles are delicious - liquid caramel. Brown Thomas.
    BT also sell a few Irish brands like Skelligs, Chez Emily etc.
    As well as having Godiva, Valrhona etc.
    If you didn't fancy Cocoa Atelier.

Uh......

High quality items usually demand a premium. The person I'm buying it for never had expensive chocolate before.

Its really as simple that. Spare me your salty BS please.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »

Yes, I'm sold on Coco Atelier, I'll be passing by there Thursday so will pick something up

Advertisement