Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunters Trespassing

• 13-03-2017 10:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I'd like your opinion on something. Over the last 3 months I've seen a steady increase in hunters (with fox hounds) entering my land without permission. Before I go any further I'd like to make it clear that I am not anti hinting in any way, but I have the following issues/concerns;
    1. Risk posed to my cattle, horses & pets.
    2. Liability
    3. Privacy/security - not a fan of strangers walking around my property unannounced.
    4. Access gateways to fields being blocked by vehicles, sometimes for hours on end.
    5. Damage being caused to ditches/fences.
    6. The general attitude I'm met with when I approach and question these people as to what they are doing when I see them on my land.

The latest incident was last Friday afternoon, when they went straight through the middle of my farm, many of them (dogs and men) through my lawn and around my house. My wife, not knowing what was going on at first, asked them what they were doing and they ignored her and ran off. She approached a guy sitting in a van on the road to ask him and he drove off at speed. She tried to stop them entering fields across the road where we have horses and they ignored her once more. They then did something that really annoyed me, left the gate of the field (containing horses) open, onto a public road. Worried about an injury to one of the horses (one was startled previously, went through my electric fence, sheep wire and then the neighbors barbed wire) she called me and asked me to go talk to them. I caught up with them about a mile away, but I was wasting my time. All they did was deny any knowledge, 'that wasn't us at all, must have been someone else' was the answer to every every question. They only thing they did admit to was being members of a club. I took the reg numbers of every vehicle they had, and made it obvious I was taking them. I'm not a tyrant and don't want to come across as one, but their complete lack of respect for landowners has really irritated me. I'd prefer not to go down the route of plastering signs all over my gates, but I may have no choice. Going to ring the IFA later this morning for advice. Was also thinking of contacting whatever body this club is affiliated to for advice.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

If their trespassing ring the guards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

If their trespassing ring the guards.

To be honest it might have to come to that, but it would be a last resort. I'd prefer to sort it out without resorting to that. Small place, don't want to be the crank that call the guards in if you know what I mean.

Thanks,
    Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    To be honest it might have to come to that, but it would be a last resort. I'd prefer to sort it out without resorting to that. Small place, don't want to be the crank that call the guards in if you know what I mean.

Thanks,
    Dave

As someone who hunts and shoots on other peoples land.

Call the guards.. You tired approaching them, you tried begin civil and you got nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,785 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Do you have no trespassing signs up? Also bull in field sign.

Thanks guys. No signage up at the moment. Again, small village etc, but I'll have to put some up. Some locals do walk through my land on occasion, which I have no problem whatsoever with and I don't want to appear hostile towards them. I assume it's illegal to have 'lands poisoned' signs?

PS; forgot to mention I'm in Glas and have a few habitats on the land which I assume they have entered as well given their location, as well as traditional hay meadow which I assume should not be entered either.

Thanks,
    Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Maybe I'm very different because I'm from closer to the city but if I say someone on my land I wouldn't dare approach them. Ringing 999 would be the first thing I would be doing.

Try getting a lock on your gates. And get in contact with the club and ask them to pay for the damages.

Approach your local gun club. They should help you out. They should also put up signs. They can give you a list of their members so you know they are covered

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

This topic comes up from time to time and without being a dick it has nothing to do with hunting. It's a matter regarding trespass and so it's the purview of An Gardaí.

The matter is obviously, and understandably, bothering you but any advice you get here will be simply that, advice. You need to deal with this matter properly and that involves An Gardaí. The IFA and any local gun club will tell you the same. I#d also wager that the local gun club has nothing to do with them as they wouldn't risk alienating a local land owner or the wrath of An Gardaí by acting in such a manner.

If it's your land and they don't have permission from you to be on it then they are breaking the law. Again not being a dick, but if someone broke into your house you wouldn't ask the home owners association for advice, you'd ring An Gardaí.

I don't mean to come across as gruff or blunt, but it's really a clear cut case of trespass and you need the professionals to deal with it not the advice of people from a hunting forum. the fact you have registration numbers, etc will be a good starting point for any possible inquiries or investigation.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

whelan2 wrote: »
    Approach your local gun club. They should help you out. They should also put up signs. They can give you a list of their members so you know they are covered

Thanks for that. Just to clarify though, this is not a gun club. We have had people enter our land for various other reasons in the past and have always obliged as permission was sought, proof of insurance was provided,no risk posed to live stock and there was no violation of our REPS/Glas agreements. I've been looking at signage online this morning and I think I might install a few occupiers liability signs along with a lands preserved sign on the worst effected area. My wife used to take part in hunts (on horse back) in the past and they always visited landowners weeks in advance to seek permission and give insurance details. They were also followed by members on foot checking for and repairing any damage caused to stone fences etc. The vast majority of people involved in hunting are very respectful of other's land and I don't want to persecute those people.

Thanks,
    Dave

Cass wrote: »
    This topic comes up from time to time and without being a dick it has nothing to do with hunting. It's a matter regarding trespass and so it's the purview of An Gardaí.

The matter is obviously, and understandably, bothering you but any advice you get here will be simply that, advice. You need to deal with this matter properly and that involves An Gardaí. The IFA and any local gun club will tell you the same. I#d also wager that the local gun club has nothing to do with them as they wouldn't risk alienating a local land owner or the wrath of An Gardaí by acting in such a manner.

If it's your land and they don't have permission from you to be on it then they are breaking the law. Again not being a dick, but if someone broke into your house you wouldn't ask the home owners association for advice, you'd ring An Gardaí.

I don't mean to come across as gruff or blunt, but it's really a clear cut case of trespass and you need the professionals to deal with it not the advice of people from a hunting forum. the fact you have registration numbers, etc will be a good starting point for any possible inquiries or investigation.

I appreciate your comments and will take them on board. I warned them that I would report any trespassers going forward when I spoke to them on Friday. I'm hoping that will nip it in the bud, but given your comment (and those of previous posters) I will make the call next time. And I don't think you're blunt! I got the exact same response from the local ranger when I called him Friday (after he mentioned it was 4.55 and he was finishing in 5 minutes!!).

Thanks,
    Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

That really boils my blood. Those guys give all the genuine folks who go out of their way to get permission a bad name.
    I find that behaviour completely unacceptable, hunting is an activity carried out completely at the grace of landowners. That type of carry on can poison a community against hunting and hunters.

Unfortunately as Cass says above it's a difficult thing to give advice on. The only thing I can think is try to find out who owns the dogs (usually 1 or 2 guys in a fox hunting scenario) via the gun club or through local gossip and talk to them directly. I understand it may not be local gun club people involved but they may know the individuals and be able to get contact information.

If a discussion doesn't get the desired result then it's definitely the Gardai next :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

999. Hello guards? there are several people on my property, outside my house with guns.

Also I know you dont want to have to do it but a chain and lock on any gates along the road will give you some peace of mind

whelan2 wrote: »
    Also I know you dont want to have to do it but a chain and lock on any gates along the road will give you some peace of mind

To be honest I'm going that way anyhow in case anyone inadvertently leaves a gate open. I've spoken to the IFA legal department, and at least know I'm satisfied that I'm covered legally. I think I'll go with a few occupiers liability and lands preserved signs as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Did you see any with firearms?Be unusual as the season is closed now and it would be then armed /aggravated trespass,a lot more serious.If not,it wasn't shooters..It sounds like a local foot pack acting the dick on your property,or lads out trying to chase up foxes and acting the dick.
    Either way ALL unacceptable carry on. As you said your missus has rode to hounds and you have described the correct protocol for a hunt be they mounted or on foot to cross anyones lands.Hunts or those with any cop on realise they need the landowners and farmers co operation 100% these days to continue hunting or shooting.
    It's Twts like this that destroy it for us all.:mad:
    Anyways, best post your land and lock your gates.And in Nov stick a message in the local rag,that your lands,at... are preserved to fur and feather.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Did you see any with firearms?Be unusual as the season is closed now and it would be then armed /aggravated trespass,a lot more serious.If not,it wasn't shooters..It sounds like a local foot pack acting the dick on your property,or lads out trying to chase up foxes and acting the dick.
    Either way ALL unacceptable carry on. As you said your missus has rode to hounds and you have described the correct protocol for a hunt be they mounted or on foot to cross anyones lands.Hunts or those with any cop on realise they need the landowners and farmers co operation 100% these days to continue hunting or shooting.
    It's Twts like this that destroy it for us all.:mad:
    Anyways, best post your land and lock your gates.And in Nov stick a message in the local rag,that your lands,at... are preserved to fur and feather.

No one with guns, I'd have had the ranger out if they had! All it would have taken on the day was a bit of respect towards me, and an apology, but they just seem to not to give a ..... about my opinion.

Thanks,
    Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Just to point out and while the OP can work away and get the ARW involved on this, I know of a similar problem locally to me.

There is a distinct advantage of getting the local gun club involved and asking them to sign the land as a Sanctuary (Assuming he doesn't want shooting). Signs with XYZ Gun Club, Game Sanctuary no shooting has impact.

1. No gun Club member wants to get in bother by shooting on a Sanctuary its a hang-able offence, even if they aren't a member of the specific local club, especially if the local club puts out a few birds.

2. Gun clubs are recognised bodies under the widlife act and have the power to prosecute. This occurred in our local club in the 1980's when lads where coming in and shooting on farmers land without permission. It involves the secretary of the club moving the prosecution with a Solicitor and the Farmer/land owner saying he only gives permission to the xyz gun club to hunt shoot or in this case put in place a sanctuary.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1977/si/335/made/en/print

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1976/act/39/section/44/enacted/en/html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

No one with guns, I'd have had the ranger out if they had! All it would have taken on the day was a bit of respect towards me, and an apology, but they just seem to not to give a ..... about my opinion.

Thanks,
    Dave

I don't know why but I assumed they had firearms with them. Don't know how I missed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Do you let the local gun club hunt on your land?

blackpearl wrote: »
    Do you let the local gun club hunt on your land?

To be honest I've never been approached by a gun club. Must check to see what ones are about.

• Advertisement

give the reg numbers to the local clubs and see what they come up with ,then take it from their i would say this can be sorted without people crying ring the garda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

blackpearl wrote: »
    give the reg numbers to the local clubs and see what they come up with ,then take it from their i would say this can be sorted without people crying ring the garda.

the garda are the correct body to deal with it. nothing brings a stuck up git back down to earth quicker than seeing a squad car pull up outside.

These boys were you will find were not part of any gun club ,a crowd of chancers i would say causing trouble for local clubs.

No gun club member would treat a famer like this.if they did they should be put out of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

Alot of chancers out there chairman of local gun club, also a farmer, told me that this season was shooting his own land and came across a lad shooting and that lad tried to run him!!!

Get the guards involved next thing stuff will go missing half those lads just casing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Thanks guys. No signage up at the moment.
    Thanks,
    Dave

It's your property. You owe nobody an explanation.

http://www.gamer.ru/everything/no-trespassing-violators-will-be-shot-survivors-will-be-shot-again

Most farmers have a gun for vermin control ect,put a sign like that up and the gards would be coming to take his gun,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Call the Gardai Dave. In the meantime you can install infrasound devices in your field. They tend to spook the dogs and horses.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Call the Gardai Dave. In the meantime you can install infrasound devices in your field. They tend to spook the dogs and horses.
    Are they the devices that the doogooder antis use when they try to cause trouble at fox hunting meets,this man has horses not a good idea.

• Advertisement

Gents,

thanks again for your advice. I drop into a neighbors farm on my way home from work yesterday and it turns out he had run the same guys from his place previously. They dropped the same name (of someone who lives in the area) when asked what he was doing there. Seems that we have a guy going around telling people they can hunt on our land, so I'm going to have a chat with him later and set him straight. Will also speak to the land owners on the other side of my farm. He's going erecting the same signage as me so we'll be delivering a uniform message to these guys. I've also been told that I've had two different groups. The ones last Friday were part of a club, and I have the chairman's details now, and the previous groups were not. Either way they'll be set straight and reported to the guards if they are silly enough to try again.

Regards,
    Dave

Advertisement