Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunters Trespassing

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

My gun club hand out letters to all land owners which has a list of contact details for the committee so if they have a problem someone can be contacted immediately. We also tell all members to carry their club cards with them and produce them whenever asked.

Eliminates this sort of situations.
    dmcsweeney wrote: »
    Seems that we have a guy going around telling people they can hunt on our land, so I'm going to have a chat with him later and set him straight.
    I would advise you approach this person with civility. I've seen it before and it could be this here, where the lads you have problems with either had permission from him at some point or never had it but knew he was a "soft touch" and just use his name.

One of my permissions is owned by such a lad. The level of trespass on his land got so bad that i stopped shooting it and two years ago the NPWS stopped accepting his lands as permissions for deer licenses.

So the land owner may be clueless to what these guys are doing.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 29,599 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

To be honest I've never been approached by a gun club. Must check to see what ones are about.
    I was the same, I sent a letter to the gun club that if they wanted to hunt my land it would be polite to ask , otherwise they are not allowed enter my land. I never remember them ever asking permission. They came down fairly quickly and sorted everything out They are not allowed near the yard with dogs. They put up signs around the place, it's basic manners to ask can you enter someones property not just assume you have a right to go there

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

blackpearl wrote: »
    Are they the devices that the doogooder antis use when they try to cause trouble at fox hunting meets,this man has horses not a good idea.

Antis? A guy I work with in the lab gave me a lend of his. My mother had a problem with a group of dogs running in her garden (nothing to do with hunting). Infrasound freaks out animals (and humans sometimes), I set it at a frequency that would effect animals with the auditory range of dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

just be careful these people use the dogs as a smoke screen to say they are lamping rabbits or got lost while out lamping and stumble on a farm yard they look into every shed to see what can be robbed, every farmer that i asked for permission around here always say '' are you in the gun club'' my response is i am they say shoot away. if you don't mind me asking what part of the country are you from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Thanks again. I will take the civil approach as he is a neighbour after all. I'd echo the warning in the post above. We recently had about €19k in cable stolen from one of our sites by people 'lamping'. It's the reason I photograph all the vehicles when I see them around. Reassuring to see, from the response on here, that these guys are the minority when it comes to disrespecting landowners. Must be a bit of an epidemic at the moment as Dairygold were sold out of signs when I popped in earlier!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Hunter456

Thanks again. I will take the civil approach as he is a neighbour after all. I'd echo the warning in the post above. We recently had about €19k in cable stolen from one of our sites by people 'lamping'. It's the reason I photograph all the vehicles when I see them around. Reassuring to see, from the response on here, that these guys are the minority when it comes to disrespecting landowners. Must be a bit of an epidemic at the moment as Dairygold were sold out of signs when I popped in earlier!!

It's an national epidemic bastards have nothing better to do than to go snooping on people's land robbing and stealing. I know a lads tools were robbed one day he decided to go to the market and what was sitting there his tools.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Hunter456 wrote: »
    if you don't mind me asking what part of the country are you from.

I'm in mid Cork. I won't be anymore specific than that as it'll be pretty obvious what club is involved!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Antis? A guy I work with in the lab gave me a lend of his. My mother had a problem with a group of dogs running in her garden (nothing to do with hunting). Infrasound freaks out animals (and humans sometimes), I set it at a frequency that would effect animals with the auditory range of dogs.

you did not say that in previous post you said dogs and horses,and the farmer had horses thats why i was getting on to you,will it work for cats?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

blackpearl wrote: »
    you did not say that in previous post you said dogs and horses,and the farmer had horses thats why i was getting on to you,will it work for cats?

I'm not actually sure man. My mother has cats and they don't seem affected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Cass wrote: »
    This topic comes up from time to time and without being a dick it has nothing to do with hunting. It's a matter regarding trespass and so it's the purview of An Gardaí.

The legal discussion forum might be a better suit, but I think the best place to get advice is the hunters forum. It's hunters that are trespassing and it's a good start to get the advice from some other hunters.

OP, I would let the Gardai know and pass on the information you collected. You will find that most hunters will not act in the manner these guys did. It's really not nice to hear at all. I think you have been very fair with them so far. Too fair maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 ldc

There is a Garda information night being held in the West Lodge Hotel in Bantry on the 09/04/2017 at 21:00 i think. All local gun clubs are being invited to attend and i am sure other groups as well. There is a new Super in situ i understand. A meeting like that gives you an opportunity to broach the subject in a wider sense if you liked either during the meeting or afterwards in an informal session and get advice and meet and greet some local Gardai without making a formal complaint. I understand that the crime prevention officer for the Garda Division will be there also.
    If attending you may need to check closer to the time in case there are any changes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The legal discussion forum might be a better suit, but I think the best place to get advice is the hunters forum. It's hunters that are trespassing and it's a good start to get the advice from some other hunters.
    I'd disagree on what might seem a pedantic point. They are not hunters. They lost any credible attachment to that title when they broke the law and trespassed.

Also i don't want the title of hunter to be bastardised by association with people that trespass and generally break the law.

As for the thread itself. I'm happy enough to let it run and for everyone to see that true hunters condemn this type of behaviour. My point about the topic itself is that the OP can ask for advice as much as they want, but as the thread and posts have shown the only real solution to this problem is to go to the Gardaí and have it dealt with.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement