Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastway courier keeping parcels in own home?

Options
  • 13-03-2017 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

So someone on my street (bad news apparently) has recently started delivering for Fastway. He uses his own car, bears no clothing with the Fastway logo. Just your average guy delivering parcels. The thing is, in his garden, he has another unused car, which always appears to have big cardboard boxes in. Could be unrelated though. He's delivered to me twice, and both times I just signed a piece of paper with other names & addresses on. Nothing like those touchscreen things they normally do.

Last week, and this morning, I noticed a big Fastway van outside of his house, dropping LOADS of packages into his house. Last week when it happened, New Delivery Guy With No Uniform's wife was keeping a watch out while they brought parcels into the house. Shifty like she was making sure nobody was looking.

This morning, I've got pictures & videos of stuff being brought into the house and I've got the couriers number plate, name and mobile number. Obviously if it's all legal, I leave it here. Otherwise, I will push it. I've had parcels go missing before so it annoys me how he could be pretty much pocketing a parcel. I've heard they are bad news.

Legal or nah?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Allinall

So someone on my street (bad news apparently) has recently started delivering for Fastway. He uses his own car, bears no clothing with the Fastway logo. Just your average guy delivering parcels. The thing is, in his garden, he has another unused car, which always appears to have big cardboard boxes in. Could be unrelated though. He's delivered to me twice, and both times I just signed a piece of paper with other names & addresses on. Nothing like those touchscreen things they normally do.

Last week, and this morning, I noticed a big Fastway van outside of his house, dropping LOADS of packages into his house. Last week when it happened, New Delivery Guy With No Uniform's wife was keeping a watch out while they brought parcels into the house. Shifty like she was making sure nobody was looking.

This morning, I've got pictures & videos of stuff being brought into the house and I've got the couriers number plate, name and mobile number. Obviously if it's all legal, I leave it here. Otherwise, I will push it. I've had parcels go missing before so it annoys me how he could be pretty much pocketing a parcel. I've heard they are bad news.

Legal or nah?

MYOB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

I see a lot of this with couriers lately

Presumably it's cheaper to have these people deliver the packages but I'd wonder about the legalities re: car insurance for business use etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 whatthefrig88

Allinall wrote: »
    MYOB

How did I know someone would come back with this? So original

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

How did I know someone would come back with this? So original

it's the couriers wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

He doesnt work for fastway, he's an "independent business".

Fastway dont care.

Fastway are the dregs of the logistics world.

They wont do anything. Not paid enough to care. Its not post so no legal protections. And if they're scrotes like you suspect its not worth causing yourself the stress.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    He doesnt work for fastway, he's an "independent business".

Fastway dont care.

Fastway are the dregs of the logistics world.
    And if they're scrotes like you suspect its not worth causing yourself the stress.

Nail, Head.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Legal or nah?

I'd a friend who was a motorbike courier for years. When the recession hit the only way for them to make money was illegal which his boss wanted him to do, he picked the dole.

The courier companies don't give a toss about the driver/rider and most of the time recipient, the people who pay them are looking for the cheapest option so they don't care either. If people want proper courier delivery then the price for delivery will rise substantially and people won't pay that, so in the end it's the consumer who's responsible for the crap service.

• Site Banned Posts: 129 ✭✭nosilver

Legal?

Please quote me any LAW that this would fall under.

nosilver wrote: »
    Legal?

Please quote me any LAW that this would fall under.
    Planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Allinall wrote: »
    MYOB

How about you mind your own beer!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

I know a couple of couriers doing this lately, its basically because things are getting busy again and they can't handle the run by themselves, however the run probably still isn't big enough to justify putting another van on the road so they pay someone (usually on the dole) a daily rate in cash to cover the extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I got a delivery today from a Fastway courier in uniform and driving a van with the company logo. I had to sign the piece of paper for a delivery I paid nothing for which arrived 2 days after dispatch in perfect condition.

The amount of other dockets the driver had there's no way it's a driver subbing out the work, most likely they have ran out of handheld scanners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I know a lad up north who was doing this for a few months for Yodel. A van would deliver the parcels to his house and he would spend ages sorting them into a route and go deliver them. He would have to attempt to deliver each parcel three times before he could send it back. He used his own car and his own petrol so I don't think he would have been insured to do it. The payment for delivering a parcel was 50p and there was no other payment involved like a minimum daily rate etc. So if he sorted and delivered 100 parcels in a day he would get £50 minus his expenses. No wonder lads are throwing them over walls or not bothering to even attempt deliveries out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

This practice is used widely in the UK. Watchdog had a segment on it last year. The people doing the delivering are paid a pittance. Don't even get your petrol money paid. If you want something delivered properly then just pay for it when ordering.

If you want something delivered properly then just pay for it when ordering.

How are you supposed to do that? Most companies do not give you a choice of who delivers, I have avoided buying from places that only deliver with DHL (never ever have they found the house), fastway (sorry mate I can't use eircode) and the worst of all DPD ( if we have to remove your package from the depot to be delivered then we will destroy your electrical item with water and blame someone else), DPD have a depot five minutes from my house, I have seen them drive past my house but yet they cannot (do not want to) find my house, several times I've had the call "is there anyway you can collect the parcel yourself (I couldn't be bothered me bol.lox delivering) Or "could you meet me somewhere like the village or the town?" ( must be trying to save on diesel). None of them give a sh.ite about us or our packages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement