Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

helmet

• 13-03-2017 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I'm newish to bikes have a basic helmet ..Box ..50 quid worth. I'm confused with so much available.
    I'm looking for a decent make ..With pinlock ..So that visor will not steam up ..And sun visor in built and can be used as and when required....
    As well is it possible to get a helmet with built in earphones and a Mike only ..I don't need to talk to passengers ..Other bikers...Just to connect to the phone. I have the phone on bike as satnav ..But would just like to be able to hear it in helmet ...And maybe take a call using auto answer on the phone

Thks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

First thing you need to do is go to a local shop and find a helmet that fits your head. Then narrow it down from there.
    Ive never found any Shark helmet to fit me properly. Same goes for Nolan and a few other brands so you really need to try some on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Definitely go and try on a range of helmets and get a feel for what fits correctly.

You can get a helmet with all the bells and whistles you like but it comes down to how much your willing to spend.

Once you know what fits and what doesn't. you can do some pricing on the net and then give the shop you tried them on in an opportunity to match the price you saw online.

Personally I've been using "the visor shop" for years and I buy mostly Caberg helmets as they fit me great and have everything I really need.
    But there are loads of shops locally around the country that would be glad of the business.

Best of luck with the search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Thks a mill. Just one question the size of my BOX helmet and I see at the rear it says L...So I presumed I'm a LARGE size ..Despite that I take it is best to go in and actually try different types to see what's most comfortable...I had intended just ordering an L on line but I think it's best now not too. Thks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Thks a mill. Just one question the size of my BOX helmet and I see at the rear it says L...So I presumed I'm a LARGE size ..Despite that I take it is best to go in and actually try different types to see what's most comfortable...I had intended just ordering an L on line but I think it's best now not too. Thks

Best to go into a shop and try them on. You're under no obligation to buy from the shop, but if they'll match the price, give them the business.

I have a Shark Vision-R helmet and it's a superb beginner helmet. Great visibility, ventilation, sun-visor built in and it looks pretty slick too. Just my personal recommendation, but for the money it's a lovely lid.

Deffo try on before onlineordering. Im a medium in some brands and a large in others

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Live65a846d0ee

Don't recommend buying from shops as they are ridiculously overpriced in Ireland. Unless you can find a deal that matches which is very unlikely, the best you can really hope is €50 more expensive than the same helmet from the UK. Would also recommend to check UK website on helmet safety.
    https://sharp.dft.gov.uk
    Not much point in buying a 1 or 2 star helmet if it can't protect you. Some €500 helmets still have 2 or 3 stars while something like HJC IS 17 has 5 stars + all other features you need and is around 150-200

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Don't recommend buying from shops as they are ridiculously overpriced in Ireland. Unless you can find a deal that matches which is very unlikely, the best you can really hope is €50 more expensive than the same helmet from the UK. Would also recommend to check UK website on helmet safety.
    Not much point in buying a 1 or 2 star helmet if it can't protect you. Some €500 helmets still have 2 or 3 stars while something like HJC IS 17 has 5 stars + all other features you need and is around 150-200

Nonsense.

Got my Shark EvoOne cheaper in a shop here, than online. There are always deals and offers on.

And, when I had a warranty issue, they took care of it an got a brand new one with no quibble.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

goodlad wrote: »
    First thing you need to do is go to a local shop and find a helmet that fits your head. Then narrow it down from there.
    Ive never found any Shark helmet to fit me properly. Same goes for Nolan and a few other brands so you really need to try some on

Good point - Shark is the first helmet I've ever had I've not had to 'tweak' to fit.

Can't fit into an Arai at all, and Shoei uncomfortable - AGV good too.

It's as much about shape of head as size of head -trying on is the only way. Comfort, fit, quality - then look at the brand: you might be surprised how it works out.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Nonsense.

Got my Shark EvoOne cheaper in a shop here, than online. There are always deals and offers on.

And, when I had a warranty issue, they took care of it an got a brand new one with no quibble.

Adverts or donedeal don't count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I don't agree with that either.
    I've been looking for a helmet recently and find two local shops competitive on price - compared to UK and NI prices.
    The reassurance of trying-on the helmet and knowing my new lid hasn't been rattling about in a courier van is important too.

Having said that, I saw a few big discounts on a few of last year's models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Take a trip up to Crossans in Newry, great selection of lids and no VAT added. And as was said here doesnt matter if you are a large in one brand you might not be in another brand, and pay no attention to that sharp.dft.gov.uk website.

I have seen absolute bog standard helmets on that get 4-5 stars and Arai and Shoei helmets get one star ffs!

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Take a trip up to Crossans in Newry, great selection of lids and no VAT added. And as was said here doesnt matter if you are a large in one brand you might not be in another brand, and pay no attention to that sharp.dft.gov.uk website.

I have seen absolute bog standard helmets on that get 4-5 stars and Arai and Shoei helmets get one star ffs!

Do you have scientific evidence for your claim? SHARP is an UK government organization which do not look for profit. Random helmets are tested and their procedures explained.

I don't agree with that either.
    I've been looking for a helmet recently and find two local shops competitive on price - compared to UK and NI prices.
    The reassurance of trying-on the helmet and knowing my new lid hasn't been rattling about in a courier van is important too.

Having said that, I saw a few big discounts on a few of last year's models.

You can just try in the shop then go home and buy cheaper online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

I have a big bowl of popcorn at the ready here.

Carry on boys.:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

If you're on budget go for something like LS2, they do a nice range of lids for around the 100 mark with pinlock visors and inner sun shields .........or if you go with the 'how much do you value your head' crowd buy an Arai or Shoei ( tho I've never quite bought into the idea of valuing your head at 500 quid! doesn't seem alot for a head to me either )

Do you have scientific evidence for your claim? SHARP is an UK government organization which do not look for profit. Random helmets are tested and their procedures explained.

Pfft.

If you want something 'better' than ECE 22.05 certified then look for a Snell certified lid from the big manufacturers or if it's from a UK supplier an ACU gold rating. Those are effectively the motorsports approvals standards for the USA and UK respectively.

SHARP is nothing but a quango in the UK. They don't have to look for profit because they're funded by the UK exchequer. They pick and choose different parts from different international tests to make up their own test and rating system which has ZERO recognition internationally. Compare that to the ECE 22.05 or SNELL certification list and look at what's involved in the testing. SHARP doesn't come close.

http://www.smf.org/testing

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/content/animation

Random helmets are tested alright. They've tested only around 400 helmets in the last 10 years. That's pathetic. Look through their list and you'll see some of the most popular helmets in certain categories have NEVER been tested in their 10 years of existence as an organisation. Look for ANY Arai TX series lid. You won't find a single one. They're on the market and very popular for more than 10 years now. Miserable waste of space organisation. Misleading people who don't know any better. They'd put a rating on a pudding bowl if it kept them in their jobs. Waste of effort looking to them for guidance.

Look at ECE 22.05, SNELL M2010/M2015 and ACU Gold ratings once you've short-listed a few lids that fit you properly if you really want a good steer on what to choose.

None of that matters anyway if your helmet doesn't fit you right. Get advice in a decent bike shop from someone who knows what they're talking about.

Nonsense.

Adverts or donedeal don't count.

It wasn't either smart-4rse. It's a well known Dublin retailer by walking in the front door.
    And worth driving from Galway for btw.
    When I had the warranty issue they collected and returned to me at no cost as well.

Ode To The Motorist

JayZeus wrote: »
    Pfft.

If you want something 'better' than ECE 22.05 certified then look for a Snell certified lid from the big manufacturers or if it's from a UK supplier an ACU gold rating. Those are effectively the motorsports approvals standards for the USA and UK respectively.

SHARP is nothing but a quango in the UK. They don't have to look for profit because they're funded by the UK exchequer. They pick and choose different parts from different international tests to make up their own test and rating system which has ZERO recognition internationally. Compare that to the ECE 22.05 or SNELL certification list and look at what's involved in the testing. SHARP doesn't come close.

Random helmets are tested alright. They've tested only around 400 helmets in the last 10 years. That's pathetic. Look through their list and you'll see some of the most popular helmets in certain categories have NEVER been tested in their 10 years of existence as an organisation. Look for ANY Arai TX series lid. You won't find a single one. They're on the market and very popular for more than 10 years now. Miserable waste of space organisation. Misleading people who don't know any better. They'd put a rating on a pudding bowl if it kept them in their jobs. Waste of effort looking to them for guidance.

Look at ECE 22.05, SNELL M2010/M2015 and ACU Gold ratings once you've short-listed a few lids that fit you properly if you really want a good steer on what to choose.

None of that matters anyway if your helmet doesn't fit you right. Get advice in a decent bike shop from someone who knows what they're talking about.

Snell and ACU are bribed by the helmet manufacturers, so your comment is invalid. I used exact same argument as you that nobody is right and everyone is doing it just for the money so snell is bribed by the manufacturers prove me wrong? Sharp is bribed too. ECE is bribed as well. So don't trust snell either because they are supported by the helmet manufacturers even though they claim they are not becaue if they would nobody would trust them. Need to keep the game secret.

It wasn't either smart-4rse. It's a well known Dublin retailer by walking in the front door.
    When I had the warranty issue they collected and returned to me at no cost as well.

So if it's a well known retailer why don't you post the name so we all know where to get all this cheap gear. I went to bikeworld and found a helmet for €330 then went home and bought the same helmet for €180 with free shipping. Same with most other gear, jacket and boots. The closest ones that come the the mainland UK shops was TheVisorShop which are excellent. The VAT on safety gear is stupid, if they want to divert business to other countries then it is working very well, I will take my money elsewhere instead of paying rip off prices. The deals that you talk about probably happen once a year. Even when they do happen then the price is the same as online with 50% discount.

Snell and ACU are bribed by the helmet manufacturers, so your comment is invalid. I used exact same argument as you that nobody is right and everyone is doing it just for the money so snell is bribed by the manufacturers prove me wrong? Sharp is bribed too. ECE is bribed as well. So don't trust snell either because they are supported by the helmet manufacturers even though they claim they are not becaue if they would nobody would trust them. Need to keep the game secret.

ECE 22.05 is a regulation not a testing agency. And I didn't say SHARP is crooked just completely pointless.

Did I upset you by rubbishing the SHARP rating system you introduced to this discussion and how completely pointless it is? Sorry about that. You must have read about it in MCN or heard from a Halfords worker when they were trying to sell you a helmet. It's still a useless rating.

Would anyone take the RSA here seriously if they introduced their own tests and rating systems for helmets? No. The press would write about it and some sellers would put the ratings on their webshop filter and some die hard noddys would swear it was the best way to make sure you get a safe helmet.

Meanwhile in the real world nobody would care. ECE 22.05, Snell ACU Gold.

• Advertisement

So if it's a well known retailer why don't you post the name so we all know where to get all this cheap gear. I went to bikeworld and found a helmet for €330 then went home and bought the same helmet for €180 with free shipping. Same with most other gear, jacket and boots. The closest ones that come the the mainland UK shops was TheVisorShop which are excellent. The VAT on safety gear is stupid, if they want to divert business to other countries then it is working very well, I will take my money elsewhere instead of paying rip off prices. The deals that you talk about probably happen once a year. Even when they do happen then the price is the same as online with 50% discount.

Cotters motorcycles - €359 vs €399 online.
    Next ?

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Thks all. Got info I needed.

ECE 22.05 is a regulation not a testing agency. And I didn't say SHARP is crooked just completely pointless.

Did I upset you by rubbishing the SHARP rating system you introduced to this discussion and how completely pointless it is? Sorry about that. You must have read about it in MCN or heard from a Halfords worker when they were trying to sell you a helmet. It's still a useless rating.

Would anyone take the RSA here seriously if they introduced their own tests and rating systems for helmets? No. The press would write about it and some sellers would put the ratings on their webshop filter and some die hard noddys would swear it was the best way to make sure you get a safe helmet.

Meanwhile in the real world nobody would care. ECE 22.05, Snell ACU Gold.

''read about it in MCN or heard from a Halfords worker when they were trying to sell you a helmet. It's still a useless rating.''

This is where I stopped reading because my IQ started to drop after reading that. Your claim has no backup, you say that I heard it on MCN or halfords which is false and your assumption has no proof whatsoever. When I bought my helmet I checked ECE, Snell and ACU. My helmet has ECE, ACU and rated 5 stars by sharp. You literally say that SHARP is useless without giving any evidence as to why it is useless. Did you also check that helmets rated 5 stars by sharp also usually have ECE, Snell and/or ACU? And no you didn't upset me as why would this upset me unless this was my company, I just like to talk facts instead of baseless accusations. When I buy something I do my research and check everything and trust no one. After doing research you decide for yourself which is the best option. In my case I chose helmet that is SHARP, ECE and ACU approved. I do all my research myself as asking a salesman who's trying to rob you of every penny is a bad idea, so please don't insult my intelligence. You have very strong views about sharp rating system and I wonder why, you just seem like an angry man altogether. Bashing people for having different opinion from yours. Yes it is an opinion and baseless assumptions not based on facts what you wrote. How do you know that ECE, Snell and ACU are not bribed? The manufacturers can bribe in order to receieve the sticker. Are you saying it does not happen? What about police and government corruption? Never happens.

Cotters motorcycles - €359 vs €399 online.
    Next ?

Cotters has very limited stock in terms of helmets.

I wonder which troll this is with the new account only started 15 days ago with 98 posts.....

ALL I HAVE TO SAY TO YOU MY GOOD MAN IS....HAVE A LOOK AT MY SIGNATURE!

Pfft.

You Sir, should have your brain frozen and kept for scientific study you LEGEND.

Could not have put it better myself.

[Snip]How do you know that ECE, Snell and ACU are not bribed? The manufacturers can bribe in order to receieve the sticker. Are you saying it does not happen? What about police and government corruption? Never happens.

I'm not bashing you. I'm not having a laugh at your expense. I'm pointing out to you that it's a rating system, not a certified test.

If you're looking at helmets with ECE 22.05 and M2010/M2015 certification, SHARP is pretty much a waste of time. There are better developed testing standards for additional approvals and ratings of helmets already applied. Look up the lid by all means, but not having a SHARP rating available shouldn't put you off picking that helmet.

Even if your helmet only gets 3 stars on Sharps rating system that wouldn't bother me a bit if it has Snell M2010/2015 certification. I'd take that over a helmet with ECE 22.05 and a 5 star Sharp rating but that won't pass Snell certification.

Your posts are going on about corruption and bribery and how manufacturers will pay for stickers under ECE 22.05 or Snell. Paranoid rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don't recommend buying from shops as they are ridiculously overpriced in Ireland.

Then pretty soon we'll all be riding with incorrectly fitted helmets. If local shops aren't selling items then they'll stop stocking the items and not pay for manufacturer training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,128 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I found the range at Cotters OK. I'd like to have had more choices but I'd take a properly fitting helmet over one with nice features.

For the next one I'll probably go up north.

• Advertisement

In the past both cotters and megabikes have matched online prices for me when buying a lid. Both were price matching to helmetcity in the UK which are generally unbeatable, especially the clearence section.

Generally i will pop into either shop and just check out some lids and politely tell the lads that i would prefer to spend my money locally but they will have some at least come close to online prices. I never expect a price match but i at least need to see them trying to get as close as they can and still make a few quid.

Advertisement