Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

helmet

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Lumen wrote: »
    I'd like to have had more choices but I'd take a properly fitting helmet over one with nice features.

For the next one I'll probably go up north.

You can have both mate.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,128 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    You can have both mate.....
    Sure, but where in Dublin has good prices and a wider selection than Cotters?

In Dublin not so much lol, but from Dublin Crossans is 35-45 mins away thats nothing on a bike. And you can take the scenic route home having said that Bikeworld do have a very good selection but prices I dont know about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Live65a846d0ee

JayZeus wrote: »
    I'm not bashing you. I'm not having a laugh at your expense. I'm pointing out to you that it's a rating system, not a certified test.

If you're looking at helmets with ECE 22.05 and M2010/M2015 certification, SHARP is pretty much a waste of time. There are better developed testing standards for additional approvals and ratings of helmets already applied. Look up the lid by all means, but not having a SHARP rating available shouldn't put you off picking that helmet.

Even if your helmet only gets 3 stars on Sharps rating system that wouldn't bother me a bit if it has Snell M2010/2015 certification. I'd take that over a helmet with ECE 22.05 and a 5 star Sharp rating but that won't pass Snell certification.

Your posts are going on about corruption and bribery and how manufacturers will pay for stickers under ECE 22.05 or Snell. Paranoid rubbish.

Now now, this is not what my sources tell me. I know a person who works in one of these companies and he is a close friend of mine, he works in one of the top positions. He told me all about the procedures and how they work. Unfortunately I cannot share this with you as it would compromise the industry.

Lumen wrote: »
    I found the range at Cotters OK. I'd like to have had more choices but I'd take a properly fitting helmet over one with nice features.

For the next one I'll probably go up north.

Just go to bikeworld, Cotters or TheVisorShop and try on their helmets and then go back home and buy online. That's what I did. TheVisorShop usually can match the prices so don't even need to buy online if you go there. Not far from Dublin anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

You can just try in the shop then go home and buy cheaper online
    Just go to bikeworld, Cotters or TheVisorShop and try on their helmets and then go back home and buy online. That's what I did. TheVisorShop usually can match the prices so don't even need to buy online if you go there. Not far from Dublin anyway.

And someday soon, just like Music Shops and Camera shops amongst others, that facility won't be there and your online shopping will entail sending helmets back and forth because they don't fit.
    Seems to me you want the service (that you're getting by going to shops trying stuff on) but you don't want to pay for it.
    IMO it's worth paying that bit extra for that service and backup. I can understand when the prices are so far apart so as to be unrealistic but when shops here are willing to drop a little to come close then that's good enough for me.

(BTW, I have no affiliation with any retailers of any description other than as a customer.)

And someday soon, just like Music Shops and Camera shops amongst others, that facility won't be there and your online shopping will entail sending helmets back and forth because they don't fit.
    Seems to me you want the service (that you're getting by going to shops trying stuff on) but you don't want to pay for it.
    IMO it's worth paying that bit extra for that service and backup. I can understand when the prices are so far apart so as to be unrealistic but when shops here are willing to drop a little to come close then that's good enough for me.

(BTW, I have no affiliation with any retailers of any description other than as a customer.)

Why would I want to pay almost double the price for the gear? Don't know about you but I don't have so much spare money to splurge out like that.

Now now, this is not what my sources tell me. I know a person who works in one of these companies and he is a close friend of mine, he works in one of the top positions. He told me all about the procedures and how they work. Unfortunately I cannot share this with you as it would compromise the industry.

That's strange. I too know somebody working in one of these organisations in one of the top positions. He's a close personal friend of mine. I was his best man and we've spent many an hour discussing the corruption that's rife in the industry. He told me all about the procedures and how they work. Unfortunately I cannot share this with you because it's pure conjecture, most likely made up and is a weak attempt at lending credibility to an already undermined argument it would compromise the industry.

If you want to believe in santa claus, the tooth fairy and the SHARP rating system then fire away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Why would I want to pay almost double the price for the gear? Don't know about you but I don't have so much spare money to splurge out like that.

I certainly don't have the money to splurge either but I'd prefer that what I do spend went to keep a neighbour / friend / local in a job. Bedsides that, it's not too often that gear is 'double the price' nowadays. Between sales, shopping around and bargaining it's usually possible to get what you want at not a hell of lot more than the Internet price.

BTW, Internet shopping wipes out local competition. As shops close down the surviving ones have less competition and therefore can charge more. This is especially true of niche or specialty shops such as Bikes and the aforementioned cameras and music shops.

I've seen a guy in a local bike shop try to beat down the price of a €300+ helmet by another €30 to match the internet price which the dealer wouldn't / couldn't do so he got in a huff and was muttering about shocking service !! Service isn't all about price. Another fella I know is delighted with the fact that he can buy a guitar capo for 'only €18' against the local price of €21. This guy earns €100k+ a year !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,128 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I certainly don't have the money to splurge either but I'd prefer that what I do spend went to keep a neighbour / friend / local in a job. Bedsides that, it's not too often that gear is 'double the price' nowadays. Between sales, shopping around and bargaining it's usually possible to get what you want at not a hell of lot more than the Internet price.

BTW, Internet shopping wipes out local competition. As shops close down the surviving ones have less competition and therefore can charge more. This is especially true of niche or specialty shops such as Bikes and the aforementioned cameras and music shops.
    Regardless of the economic arguments, it's just plain rude to go into a conveniently local bricks-and-mortar shop to try on a helmet and then buy it from an online competitor with drastically lower overheads and just-in-time stocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

For something like a helmet where you should be getting 5 years out of it I think its better to buy local. If you were racing/track daying and constantly going through lids then fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Im starting to get sick and tired of all the threads on this forum being dragged down into an arguement and bitchfest.
    Its happening way to often here now.

This is also not helping out the OP 1 bit.

I think MR STEPHEN is back, these troll have no interest in helping the OP as you say its just forced opinions and bull****.

That's strange. I too know somebody working in one of these organisations in one of the top positions. He's a close personal friend of mine. I was his best man and we've spent many an hour discussing the corruption that's rife in the industry. He told me all about the procedures and how they work. Unfortunately I cannot share this with you because it's pure conjecture, most likely made up and is a weak attempt at lending credibility to an already undermined argument it would compromise the industry.

If you want to believe in santa claus, the tooth fairy and the SHARP rating system then fire away.

I want to believe in factual information instead of opinions. Yours is an opinion.

• Site Banned Posts: 95 ✭✭EIRE forever

you live in Dublin?? if so go into cotters in ballymount they have a good selection of helmets etc. in stock,you'd be better off trying them on instead of buying online because some lids might not fit ya even if you think your a L.
    as far as helmets with built in earphones, you might pay more for that than a normal lid, you can get cheap intercoms on ebay that are good, ive a BT intercom (with mic)that I bought off ebay, works perfect with good sound inside the helmet an you can hook up your phone for answering calls or listening to your music on your phone,or hook up to sat nav an to other intercoms if ye want.

I'm newish to bikes have a basic helmet ..Box ..50 quid worth. I'm confused with so much available.
    I'm looking for a decent make ..With pinlock ..So that visor will not steam up ..And sun visor in built and can be used as and when required....
    As well is it possible to get a helmet with built in earphones and a Mike only ..I don't need to talk to passengers ..Other bikers...Just to connect to the phone. I have the phone on bike as satnav ..But would just like to be able to hear it in helmet ...And maybe take a call using auto answer on the phone

Thks

I have a big bowl of popcorn at the ready here.

Carry on boys.:D:D:D
    Im starting to get sick and tired of all the threads on this forum being dragged down into an arguement and bitchfest.

Did you run out of popcorn? :rolleyes:
    I want to believe in factual information instead of opinions. Yours is an opinion.

I'm not going to keep arguing with you here. You made your point and I made mine. Let's call it a day.

Amnesia?

To the OP......

MegaBikes,Cotters,Bikeworld,D15 Motorcycles and RPM in Drogheda.

Have a look in any of those and talk to the shop owners,explain your needs and your budget.;)

Crossans in Newry have a good selection too.
    Adrian and Amelia up there allways look after me when I pop up to them.:)

Theres also AKB out in Swords.:)

where's akb in swords? I know all the others
    To the OP......

MegaBikes,Cotters,Bikeworld,D15 Motorcycles and RPM in Drogheda.

Have a look in any of those and talk to the shop owners,explain your needs and your budget.;)

Crossans in Newry have a good selection too.
    Adrian and Amelia up there allways look after me when I pop up to them.:)

Theres also AKB out in Swords.:)

where's akb in swords? I know all the others

Business park across the road from The Kinsealy Inn Pub.
    The school is right beside the business park.

AKB Distribution
    Swords Enterprise Park, Drinan, Swords, Co. Dublin
    01 897 1167

• Advertisement

cheers man ill check them out
    Business park across the road from The Kinsealy Inn Pub.
    The school is right beside the business park.

AKB Distribution
    Swords Enterprise Park, Drinan, Swords, Co. Dublin
    01 897 1167

I'm going to open up this rusted shut can of worms.

SHARP isn't completely useless after all IMHO after spending a fair bit of time reading up on it today. It's definitely not a primary indicator of a quality helmet but it looks like it may be a good indicator of energy transfer to the brain inside the head inside the helmet in some circumstances. It's additional information, not definitive decision making stuff as far as I can see.

I will still want ECE 22.05 followed by SNELL M2015 but if it has a half way decent rating from SHARP AFTER that, that's good too.

If it's a cheap and generally nastily built helmet with ECE 22.05 and a 5 star SHARP rating I will gladly ignore SHARP and go look for a better helmet. There are quite a number of 4-5 star rated helmets there that I wouldn't want to wear if I had to stand under a heavy stream of cow pish.

Just got a fantastic deal on leather and race gear over in Cotters.
    Bet the UK prices and Euro online prices for the stuff I wanted
    All I did was ask for his best price.

Thanks to Simon in Cotters for that deal.:D

They have an open day this weekend,
    Big reductions on all items.
    Big tyre deals too.
    Open Saturday and Sunday 25th and 26th March.
    Shark helmets will be over from the UK for fitting and sorting peoiple with crash helmets.

New website comming this weekend,according to Simon.

http://www.cottermc.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Anyone tried carrying a helmet through an airport lately?

I'm thinking of bringing one to Abu Dhabi. I've done it before ok but things are changing now.

Korat wrote: »
    Anyone tried carrying a helmet through an airport lately?

I'm thinking of bringing one to Abu Dhabi. I've done it before ok but things are changing now.

Carried mine through UK, Netherlands, USA and Singapore airports in the last few weeks with no issues. Into a tray and through the Xray machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Carried mine through UK, Netherlands, USA and Singapore airports in the last few weeks with no issues. Into a tray and through the Xray machine.

Ja, it's an easier object to scan than a case full of electronics. I'm going East anyway. :)

..I'll report back on my experience.

Advertisement