Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handicap FAQ

Options
  • 13-03-2017 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭

GUI Handicap

To aquire a GUI handicap in Ireland you MUST first :

Join a GUI affiliated Golf Club

Play 3 casual rounds from the competition tee's and get someone sign your card.

The person signing the card must be acceptable to your club commite. Generally another member or GUI member will suffice.Generally your best 2 9 hole scores will be used.
    If you have a problem getting a card signed, be it not knowing other golfers etc, ask your Pro or Handicap Secetary and they should be able to join you to a group or ask a member for you.
    Returning to Golf/ GUI

If you previously held a GUI Handicap and are returning you will have to re-submit 3 cards to get a new handicap.
    If you held a GUI Handicap within the last 6 months your previous handicap is still valid

Open Competitions

To Play in an Away Open Competition you MUST :
    Have Played 3 Single competition rounds in your home club the previous year

If you have just recieved a new handicap this will count and you can play in Open competitons immediatly.

If you get cut from an away competition you must inform your Handicap Secetary. Also if you get cut and Golfnet has not adjusted your Handicap yet you must adjust this yourself until rectified.
    Eg: You win a competition today and get cut two shots from 18 to 16. Tomorrow you are playing another competition, in the event your HC is not updated you must play off 16 not 18.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Input on this appreciated in case I'm wrong in any areas. Hopefully once settled it should help for any handicap questions or at least the basic ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Who can sign the card, do they need to be a certain age, i'm sure they will have a handicap themselves. Can they mark in a two ball or must it be at least 3 ball etc.

red ears wrote: »
    Who can sign the card, do they need to be a certain age, i'm sure they will have a handicap themselves. Can they mark in a two ball or must it be at least 3 ball etc.
    I'm not sure on the age, my first H/C I had a junior sign mine on recommendation of the Pro.

No need for more than yourself and the marker from my experience.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

From what I get form that statement, you don't have to play the 3 rounds in a competition which is often mentioned here.

When i returned to golf from a small break it was 3 casual rounds (from the competition tees) that I played for my handicap.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    From what I get form that statement, you don't have to play the 3 rounds in a competition which is often mentioned here.

When i returned to golf from a small break it was 3 casual rounds (from the competition tees) that I played for my handicap.
    Changed it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

red ears wrote: »
    Anyone that the committee of the club you are joining deems acceptable can mark and sign your card for acquiring a new handicap. Finding out from the committee who is acceptable is the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭JP85

What's the process of handing in scorecard if you are playing on a "society" weekend trip? If its not an official competition within the away club, do i need to submit the scorecards to my handicap secretary for review?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

You've no requirement to submit cards for society golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Something I wondered for a while.say for example I play an open on a Saturday and shoot 36pts.i then play in my home club on the Sunday off the same exact handicap presuming I was in the buffer the day previously. I win in my home club with 40 odd points.
    On Monday in my golfnet account it comes up that in the competition on the Saturday the css was 34 and I get cut .4 which changes my handicap from say 7 to 6,but I played off 7 Sunday and won.
    What is the result of this bearing in mind I couldn't of known of the css being low the day before??

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭JP85

Ok cool, i thought there was a changed in the GUI rules that if you are playing in a society over a certain number of players you need to submit your card/s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

Incorrect, if your round is off tees with a SSS you have to report it.

8.12 Congu Manual

"it is mandatory for both clubs and players to report to Home Clubs all
    Non-Qualifying Scores from Team and Society Golf played over a course for which the Union has allotted a Standard Scratch score together with notification of the relevant SSS"

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭username?!

If I play in an away competition and I submit my card what happens next?

Do I submit my card to my club also for handicap review ( A copy of it)?
    Does the away club I played in update my Golfnet handicap, Does this mean I have to put my GUI number on the card if playing away?

Basically, how does the away card score and possible cut or increase come back to my home club?

Also, great thread idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,534 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

kieran. wrote: »

8.12 Congu Manual

Non-Qualifying Scores from Team and Society Golf played over a course for which the Union has allotted a Standard Scratch score together with notification of the relevant SSS"

Cheers Kieran. I stand corrected. I always thought that you could submit them for review, but there was no obligation to do so

Something I wondered for a while.say for example I play an open on a Saturday and shoot 36pts.i then play in my home club on the Sunday off the same exact handicap presuming I was in the buffer the day previously. I win in my home club with 40 odd points.
    On Monday in my golfnet account it comes up that in the competition on the Saturday the css was 34 and I get cut .4 which changes my handicap from say 7 to 6,but I played off 7 Sunday and won.
    What is the result of this bearing in mind I couldn't of known of the css being low the day before??

I would presume the onus is on you to check the previous day css and adjust accordingly. If not i think a DQ?

username?! wrote: »

Does the away club I played in update my Golfnet handicap, Does this mean I have to put my GUI number on the card if playing away?

Basically, how does the away card score and possible cut or increase come back to my home club?

Also, great thread idea.
    From my own experience the away competition will show up on its own. So either the away club does it or theybforward on the details to your club.

I always put my gui number on, most will require it on a login computer for the comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

dan_ep82 wrote:
    I would presume the onus is on you to check the previous day css and adjust accordingly. If not i think a DQ?

But in the case of a comp running over 2 days(sat and sunday) like some opens do?the css won't be calculated until Sunday evening at the earliest

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

If CSS is not published by time of next event entry, then you go by SSS

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

But in the case of a comp running over 2 days(sat and sunday) like some opens do?the css won't be calculated until Sunday evening at the earliest

There is (or should be) a CSS calculated for each day. So Saturdays CSS could be 34 and Sundays 35. As proof of this look at the scores from the Irish amateur last weekend. Separate CSS's each day.

If your comp sec/handicap sec isn't doing this its because of ::

A.) He doesn't know he neeeds to do it

B.) He doesn't have time to do it

But he should be doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

JP85 wrote: »
    What's the process of handing in scorecard if you are playing on a "society" weekend trip? If its not an official competition within the away club, do i need to submit the scorecards to my handicap secretary for review?
    kieran. wrote: »

8.12 Congu Manual

I remember sending numerous cards from society outings to the handicap secretary, but they were only for reductions. Never looking for .1 back. Nothing used to happen! Asked the fella one day and he said he got them alright and would put through a general cut of 3 shots. This long before the days of golfnet.

I'm sure if you were to take it to the later of the law and submit every card from all society outings for cuts and .1's back, the secretary would soon have a pain in his arse with societys!

Kieran, do you send all your Boards Society cards back to your club?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

username?! wrote: »

Also, great thread idea.

I think the competition club will basically update Golfnet and it will appear on golfnet as an unprocessed away score. Then your home club must sign off on it for the handicap change to be affected. I've seen this take a while to process in the past, all down to the effeciency of both clubs.

Now if it is to get .1 back, you must wait till your home club processes the change. So if you were off 12.4, you stay playing off 12 untill it is fully processed. But if it is a cut, then you must apply that yourself straight away. As stated above, if you don't know the CSS, use the SSS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

Hey. Another away score question here. I had an issue with my GUI account where it wasn't registered properly by my club and none of my away scores came thru for the last year or so. Eventually it was sorted but now there are still a few away scores still haven't been processed as they were played before the GUI registration mess up. Do I need to contact golfnet re this or is it a case of put pressure on my handicap secretary to sort it out.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dizzy_87

So just quick question on here, how long does it generally take once you have handed your 3 cards in to actually get your handicap? should i be complaining to someone that it has been over a fortnight since cards were handed in and no official GUI handicap yet.

dizzy_87 wrote: »
    So just quick question on here, how long does it generally take once you have handed your 3 cards in to actually get your handicap? should i be complaining to someone that it has been over a fortnight since cards were handed in and no official GUI handicap yet.

I wouldn't go as far as a complaint but a phone call is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Have you asked them how long it takes?

Instead of looking to complain, remember that these things are done by volunteers and although it shouldn't take two weeks to do it's quite likely that it has fallen by the way side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Who did you hand the to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭davegilly

That seems very long. I handed my third in on a Friday and got hcap on Sunday. Maybe give them a call and ask? I didn't get card and pin yet though so can't login to golfnet but not sure what's even in that to be honest,. Am I missing anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

Seve OB wrote: »
    I think the competition club will basically update Golfnet and it will appear on golfnet as an unprocessed away score. Then your home club must sign off on it for the handicap change to be affected. I've seen this take a while to process in the past, all down to the effeciency of both clubs.

Now if it is to get .1 back, you must wait till your home club processes the change. So if you were off 12.4, you stay playing off 12 untill it is fully processed. But if it is a cut, then you must apply that yourself straight away. As stated above, if you don't know the CSS, use the SSS.

You would expect in this day and age that every club would have a computer linked to golfnet that adjusted the handicaps based on the scores submitted rather than waiting for the various clubs involved etc.

slingerz wrote: »
    You would expect in this day and age that every club would have a computer linked to golfnet that adjusted the handicaps based on the scores submitted rather than waiting for the various clubs involved etc.

This is the GUI we're talking about here....

_DMac_ wrote: »
    Hey. Another away score question here. I had an issue with my GUI account where it wasn't registered properly by my club and none of my away scores came thru for the last year or so. Eventually it was sorted but now there are still a few away scores still haven't been processed as they were played before the GUI registration mess up. Do I need to contact golfnet re this or is it a case of put pressure on my handicap secretary to sort it out.

Thanks

You need to get onto your handicap secretary. Golfnet/GUI take no responsibility and take the stats they have from individual clubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 dizzy_87

Who did you hand the to ?

Just to the pro shop, he informed me that he just gives the cards into the back room and then someone else enters the scores in on the computer.

Advertisement