Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea v Manchester United FA Cup Match Thread k/o 19.45 BBC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    What's the story with the pluralisation of individuals? Is there more than one Conte? Im aware of only one Guardiola.

Dramatic effect. Of which, I know a thing or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Any verifiable links to back that up because all indications from any kind of sources I can find suggest the exact opposite.

It's not hard. Just google every player transfer fee and you will get all the transfer fee published by BBC and Sky. Add them up.
    domrush wrote: »
    The current United squad cost about 100m pounds more than city's I believe

No. ManCity squad costed more and that is excluding 112 Million pounds worth player out on loan

I can find roughly 4-5 widely recognized sites that would back that up. Odd one to pick up on and argue about when literally all evidence points to otherwise.

Check what is the source of all those sites. For a person who praises himself a lot about intellectual this shouldn't be that difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

domrush wrote: »
    The current United squad cost about 100m pounds more than city's I believe

Jaysus, you could get what looks like a French hairdressers test dummy to swan around your midfield for that and still have change.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Check what is the source of all those sites. For a person who praises himself a lot about intellectual this shouldn't be that difficult.

I say take your case national, when you get the rebuttal piece written and published by a trusted organisation then I'll take your case a bit more seriously. But, for now, it doesn't amount to all that much really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

This Chelsea side are the most boring title winning team to watch seen I've started watching football. They play a 5-2-3 (that's 5 bloody defenders) playing counter attack week-in week-out against the likes of Hull & Swansea.

I love boards.

:pac:

5 goals weve scored through counter attacking (opta stats) football but because jose said chelsea play counter attack and defend it must be true.

Anyway, I will take my leave but I am going to quote a paragraph of Barney Ronay's piece on the match for The Guardian, simply because it made me laugh a bit.

"This was the strategy from the start as Mourinho set out to shackle, restrict and generally thwart Hazard’s creative influence at the heart of Chelsea’s attack. So, not really that much of a change from last season you might say."

I say take your case national, when you get the rebuttal piece written and published by a trusted organisation then I'll take your case a bit more seriously. But, for now, it doesn't amount to all that much really.

Wow, that reply. When ManUtd lose next time, surely use the same "Most expensive squad" **** again and again even though it's clearly wrong.

Like i said, you can't even make 1 proper post without lying, contradicting or posting wrong stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

GavRedKing wrote: »
    5 goals weve scored through counter attacking (opta stats) football but because jose said chelsea play counter attack and defend it must be true.
    That's it.

Nice job on your predictions tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Call it a jab, call it whatever you want, looks a stamp to me.

https://twitter.com/noizeuk/status/841408125110505472

Looks worse than the one at the weekend. Not a whole lot of force in it either mind you but like Mick (i think) said the high profile one at the weekend means more focus on these types of incidents.

• Advertisement

• I watched a van damme flick called derailed the other night.
    Good show, kinda like this thread!
    Man Utd boards 4 life!

I missed the Jose interview. Anyone care to fill me in with what he said?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

LOl, just lol :D

Obviously missed the last 3 years of Utd games :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Costa missed some sitters tonight , disappointed it was only 1-0, performance deserved a lot more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

M!Ck^ wrote: »

The main take from it was urged to talk about sending off incident, he said he didn't want to then proceeded to say similar incidents occurred but players weren't given such treatment, when prompted to add more he then said Michael Oliver has such potential basically a roundabout way of saying he's a p1ss poor ref :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

For a start City squad cost more than ManUtd.

it makes me laugh to read about expensive squads, like horses, the price of a player often has no relative value to their actual ability.

By that I mean, you see cheap players play a vital part week in and week out and expensive players go missing week in and week out.

The price of a player is often defined by entirely random things, like a good tournament, agents doing their job, the need of the buying club, future potential, current form and many other things.

an expensive squad is not a guarantee of success, case in point Leicester last season, utd, city etc didn't want to spend what they did, they had a figure they were prepared to pay and paid it that is all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Top of my head all competitions
    Google it maybe if you want to be pedantic about numbers
    16 actually, not really close to 30+

OH Christ l, two people on the beeb said to then it must be true..

If you took a moment to rewind and watch it you can clearly see he JABS him with his toe and tries as soon as possible to move out the way
    As you'd say yourself...hahahahaha :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Vanolder wrote: »
    What's a charity bet? If we could edit our monikers i'd offer you naming rights for the rest of the season.... I did say Chelsea 'should', mate - not that they 'would' so no need to get so uppity - But i'll take the bet depending on T&Cs.

You never got back to me

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Hazard rolled towards Rojo foot, it is not clear cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

RobertKK wrote: »

This is some sort of joke surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

it makes me laugh to read about expensive squads, like horses, the price of a player often has no relative value to their actual ability.

By that I mean, you see cheap players play a vital part week in and week out and expensive players go missing week in and week out.

The price of a player is often defined by entirely random things, like a good tournament, agents doing their job, the need of the buying club, future potential, current form and many other things.

an expensive squad is not a guarantee of success, case in point Leicester last season, utd, city etc didn't want to spend what they did, they had a figure they were prepared to pay and paid it that is all

You can't honestly believe that! A players valuation is 100% very relevant to their ability/potential when a club pays the mad figures for a player they expect a return on their investment.

Yeah very regularly you see cheaper players play out of their skin week in week out and the opposite also can be true for the ones on bigger figures,but largely the teams near the top don't feature these cheap players.

Leicester last year was absolute fairytale stuff, like Stuttgart winning the Bundesliga, Atletico winning La Liga or Montpelier lifting Lique 1 in the last few years. No one suggested they were going to start a trend the kinda of trend that sees Chelsea,Man City,Man United,Bayern,Barcelona,Real Madrid, etc hanging around the heights regularly...£££

If you are using Leicester as an example for anything it's their manager paid the ultimate price for not getting a return on the players that the club shelled out around 100m for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

You can't honestly believe that! A players valuation is 100% very relevant to their ability/potential when a club pays the mad figures for a player they expect a return on their investment.

Yeah very regularly you see cheaper players play out of their skin week in week out and the opposite also can be true for the ones on bigger figures,but largely the teams near the top don't feature these cheap players.

Leicester last year was absolute fairytale stuff, like Stuttgart winning the Bundesliga, Atletico winning La Liga or Montpelier lifting Lique 1 in the last few years. No one suggested they were going to start a trend the kinda of trend that sees Chelsea,Man City,Man United,Bayern,Barcelona,Real Madrid, etc hanging around the heights regularly...£££

If you are using Leicester as an example for anything it's their manager paid the ultimate price for not getting a return on the players that the club shelled out around 100m for.

Its a completely fair point. The best example I can think of right now is the difference between Pogba and Kante. Had United paid Kante money for Pogba, we'd be saying he's had an okay season and about right for the type of midfielder he is. Had Chelsea paid Pogba money for Kante, we'd probably be saying that he doing what is expected of him for that price. Instead, Chelsea paid much less for Kante due to arbitrary factors such as a reasonable release clause and a player playing for a club below his level. United paid stupid money for Pogba because he was coming from a team that are above United right now in the European pecking order, he had a large contract, he was highly sought after and United needed a big name signing.

He was never ever going to be worth the money United paid for him and you can check my post history for examples of me saying that when his signing was just a rumour. The type of player that breaks world records is almost always a goalscorer or at the very least, hugely attack minded. At some point we will need to forget the price tag and actually evaluate him based off how he is doing, not some arbitrary price tag that we are supposed to be amazed by. He'll never actually reach that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Didn't watch the game but have seen the Rojo stamp. That's clearly intentional. He'll be getting a three game ban for that one.

RobertKK wrote: »

In much the same way as Mings head-butter ibrahimovic's elbow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Ref makes it clear after the Jones foul. Man Utd set out to target a player and unlawfully kick him off the pitch, next foul on him was a yellow. Nobody's fault but Herrera's that he rashly fouled that same player only a few seconds after the ref gave the warning. Conte said post game that for the first 30 Hazard wasn't allowed to play, this was done through illegal means and the ref did well to see to that.

You are an idiot.. Hazard is a constant diver, plays the game to always get his opponent sent off..

I think you have directed this post at the wrong person. I wasn't the one who was obsessed with the squad cost.

If you have AIG on ignore then fine.

Barr wrote: »
    Obviously missed the last 3 years of Utd games :pac:

Maybe you missed 3 years of football? Did ManUtd win the league title in 3 years? The post was specific about title winning team.
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    I love boards.

:pac:

Interesting how they consider the goals on counter attack, according to them Leicester scored only 5 goals on counter attack last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Barr wrote: »
    Costa missed some sitters tonight , disappointed it was only 1-0, performance deserved a lot more.

Chelsea had plenty of half chances and some decent really good chances. Costa free header and late slide in the two. Cahills chance and Hazards first half were V close too.

United had only Rojos free header, rashford one on one and two half assed attempts from Pogba to show as a threat. I think anyways can't remember anything else.

I think 2-0 would have been a fair scoreline given united defended well but Chelsea so so dominant 2nd half.

• Advertisement

I think you have directed this post at the wrong person. I wasn't the one who was obsessed with the squad cost.

If you have AIG on ignore then fine.

Italy league leaders- Juventus
    Most expensive Italian squad-Juventus

Spanish league leaders-Real Madrid
    Most expensive Spanish squad- Real Madrid

German league leaders- Bayern Munich
    Most expensive German squad- Bayern Munich

Generally the correlation between league position and wealth is quite high so not sure why anyone would be trying to discount its importance.

I watched a van damme flick called derailed the other night.
    Good show, kinda like this thread!
    Man Utd boards 4 life!

Who watches Van Damme films in 2017?

Italy league leaders- Juventus
    Most expensive Italian squad-Juventus

Spanish league leaders-Real Madrid
    Most expensive Spanish squad- Real Madrid

German league leaders- Bayern Munich
    Most expensive German squad- Bayern Munich

Generally the correlation between league position and wealth is quite high so not sure why anyone would be trying to discount its importance.

England league leaders - Chelsea
    Most expensive squad - ManCity

England league leaders - Chelsea
    Most expensive squad - ManCity

Literally can't find a single article to back that up. In fact going on the advice of a poster on this thread last night, I looked up the numbers and there is a 100 million pound gap between the 2 squads ( 1 and a bit Pogba's or 3 and a bit Kante's if you do your currency in football players).

Literally can't find a single article to back that up. In fact going on the advice of a poster on this thread last night, I looked up the numbers and there is a 100 million pound gap between the 2 squads ( 1 and a bit Pogba's or 3 and a bit Kante's if you do your currency in football players).

One more lie. Keep them coming.

One more lie. Keep them coming.

Look you've clearly been itching to produce this squad cost analysis of both clubs that you've clearly got already saved onto your documents folder so just get it over with, post it up here and I will run through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Has Jose ever tried to go toe to toe in a big away game. If they need the points for top 4 surely he will have to come up with another plan for games at city, arsenal and spurs.

Look you've clearly been itching to produce this squad cost analysis of both clubs that you've clearly got already saved onto your documents folder so just get it over with, post it up here and I will run through it.

Since you are asking, here is the list of present day squad.

David de Gea - 17.8 Million (BBC)
    Eric Bailly - 30 Million (Sky and ESPN)
    Phil Jones - 16.5 Million (Telegraph)
    Marcos Rojo - 16 Million (Sporting website)
    Paul Pogba - 89 Million (Juventus website)
    Juan Mata - 37.1 Million (ManUtd website)
    Zlatan Ibrahimović - 0 (Free Transfer)
    Wayne Rooney - 25.6 (ManUtd PLC)
    Anthony Martial - 36 Million to 58 Million (BBC, Monaco VP)
    Chris Smalling - 10 Million (Sky)
    Jesse Lingard - 0 (Acadeny Player)
    Michael Carrick - 18.6 Million (Including addons, BBC and David Gill)
    Daley Blind - 13.8 Million (BBC)
    Ashley Young - 16 Million (Sky)
    Marcus Rashford - 0 (Academy player)
    Sergio Romero - 0 (Free transfer)
    Ander Herrera - 29 Million (Sky, BBC)
    Henrikh Mkhitaryan - 26.3 Million (Sky)
    Luke Shaw - 27 Million (BBC)
    Timothy Fosu-Mensah - 0 (Academy player)
    Antonio Valencia - 16 Million (BBC)
    Marouane Fellaini - 27.5 Million (Guardian)
    Bastian Schweinsteiger - 6.5 Million (ESPN)
    Matteo Darmian - 12.7 Million (BBC)
    Axel Tuanzebe - 0 (Academy player)
    Joel Castro Pereira - 0 (Academy player)

Total: 471.4 Million, if you include Martial fee with addons then it's 493.4 Million. All the transfer fee are taken from BBC, Telegraph, ESPN, Guardian and offical sites.

Man City Squad:

Claudio Bravo - 16 Million (Barca website, BBC)
    Bacary Sagna - 0 (Free transfer)
    Vincent Kompany - 6 Million (Offical announcement)
    Pablo Zabaleta - 6.45 (Guardian)
    Fernando - 12M (BBC)
    Raheem Sterling - 44M to 49M (BBC)
    İlkay Gündoğan - 20M (BBC)
    Nolito - 13.8 (BBC)
    Sergio Agüero - 38M (BBC)
    Aleksandar Kolarov - 16M (BBC)
    Willy Caballero - 4.4M - 6M (BBC)
    Jesús Navas - 14.9M (Sky)
    Kevin De Bruyne - 55M (BBC)
    Fabian Delph - 8M (BBC)
    Leroy Sané - 37M - 46.5M (BBC, ESPN)
    David Silva - 24M (BBC)
    Gaël Clichy - 7M (Sky)
    John Stones - 47.5M to 50M (BBC, Sky, Guardian)
    Fernandinho - 34 Million (Shakhtar site)
    Nicolás Otamendi - 28.5M to 32M (BBC)
    Gabriel Jesus - 27 Million to 31M (BBC, Guardian)
    Yaya Touré - 24M (BBC)
    Kelechi Iheanacho - 0
    Aleix García - 0

Total: 483 Million excluding addons. If you include then it's 508.5 Million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Gotta stay with those winning teams afterall and Chelsea are the best in England.

I just don't get it ...

Total: 471.4 Million, if you include Martial fee with addons then it's 493.4 Million. All the transfer fee are taken from BBC, Telegraph, ESPN, Guardian and offical sites.

Man City Squad:

Fernando - 12M (BBC)
    Nolito - 13.8 (BBC)
    Fabian Delph - 8M (BBC)
    David Silva - 24M (BBC)
    Gaël Clichy - 7M (Sky)
    Yaya Touré - 24M (BBC)
    Kelechi Iheanacho - 0
    Aleix García - 0

That's nice but the problem is that because you have an agenda how do I know if you've not taken different reported costs from different sources and used the least expensive in the case of Man Utd and the most expensive in the case of Man City? Unfortunately, when you go in with a prior agenda inevitably I will doubt the validity of your workings. Whereas a source like CIES Football Observatory is a neutral party and also more informed on these matters so I know which argument I'd value slightly higher (pun intended).

That's nice but the problem is that because you have an agenda how do I know if you've not taken different reported costs from different sources and used the least expensive in the case of Man Utd and the most expensive in the case of Man City? Unfortunately, when you go in with a prior agenda inevitably I will doubt the validity of your workings. Whereas a source like CIES Football Observatory is a neutral party and also more informed on these matters so I know which argument I'd value slightly higher (pun intended).

CIES site that said Jones was the best young CB in the world, Smalling as the 4th best, Rojo as the 8th CB in the world and Milner as the 2nd best LB in the world. Yeah highly reputed site like caughtoffside and clearly level above BBC and Sky.

It's not surprising that you started spouting random ****, it was obvious.

If you check properly you will see most of the fee is from BBC and Sky. Why don't you take an example of what you are saying instead of nonsense you are posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Man City Squad:

Fernando - 12M (BBC)
    Nolito - 13.8 (BBC)
    Fabian Delph - 8M (BBC)
    David Silva - 24M (BBC)
    Gaël Clichy - 7M (Sky)
    Yaya Touré - 24M (BBC)
    Kelechi Iheanacho - 0
    Aleix García - 0

Is the second one for Sane not the € cost? I could have swore I read somewhere that he could cost up to €46m?

I think there was a similar discussion about 12/24 months ago about squad cost and at that stage United were pretty high up the list. Shows how much Van Gaal moved on and to a lesser extent Jose.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Is the second one for Sane not the € cost? I could have swore I read somewhere that he could cost up to €46m?

I think there was a similar discussion about 12/24 months ago about squad cost and at that stage United were pretty high up the list. Shows how much Van Gaal moved on and to a lesser extent Jose.

BBC and ESPN reported 37 Million pounds.

CIES site that said Jones was the best young CB in the world, Smalling as the 4th best, Rojo as the 8th CB in the world and Milner as the 2nd best LB in the world. Yeah highly reputed site like caughtoffside and clearly level above BBC and Sky.

It's not surprising that you started spouting random ****, it was obvious.

If you check properly you will see most of the fee is from BBC and Sky. Why don't you take an example of what you are saying instead of nonsense you are posting.

Assuming those were based on particular statistical workings so...

Also squad accumulation costs aren't the same as giving an opinion on player performance. One is far more open to interpretation than the other.

Just looking at the CIES page. Here's some info about them
    http://www.football-observatory.com/-About-

Now, after reading that, do I trust those guys or do I trust Giggsy11 off Man Utd Boards.

Assuming those were based on particular statistical workings so...

Also squad accumulation costs aren't the same as giving an opinion on player performance. One is far more open to interpretation than the other.

Just looking at the CIES page. Here's some info about them
    http://www.football-observatory.com/-About-

Now, after reading that, do I trust those guys or do I trust Giggsy11 off Man Utd Boards.

Again you fail to understand the simple point.

Do you trust CIES page or BBC/Sky?

Still spouting random **** and nothing to do with numbers. Like I said, do the math. At least I did and not blindly follow some random **** site.

I'm sure you also believed the sits which said "Wowzzzz Shaw is paid more than Lahm".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Who cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Man City Squad:

Fernando - 12M (BBC)
    Nolito - 13.8 (BBC)
    Fabian Delph - 8M (BBC)
    David Silva - 24M (BBC)
    Gaël Clichy - 7M (Sky)
    Yaya Touré - 24M (BBC)
    Kelechi Iheanacho - 0
    Aleix García - 0

Great post, and well done on taking that much time to go about proving your point, but as you can see it's a fruitless task.

There is no point, he's been asking you to prove it for hours now, you take the time to do it and again the goalposts are moved.

Last night was the first time I've succumbed to using the ignore feature in 14 years as a boardsie.

It's incredible that every single thread can be picked apart by a single poster and nothing has been done for 2+ years now.

Again you fail to understand the simple point.

Do you trust CIES page or BBC/Sky?

Still spouting random **** and nothing to do with numbers. Like I said, do the math. At least I did and not blindly follow some random **** site.

I'm sure you also believed the sits which said "Wowzzzz Shaw is paid more than Lahm".

That's work if Sky or BBC compiled such a list. But they haven't. You have, and, due to your agenda, are an untrustworthy source. As I say, because your figures come from a variety of sources and, considering your agenda, your research is open to question.

Also, since you keep talking about trust and such, both Sky and The Guardian (2 sources you used to compile your data) posted articles stating Man Utd to be the most expensive squad in football history, citing the CIES research. So now are you questioning the validity of the sources of your own research?

So, while your cursing and playing to the crowd, I'm debating, and, as you can see, I'm rather good at it.

Great post, and well done on taking that much time to go about proving your point, but as you can see it's a fruitless task.

There is no point, he's been asking you to prove it for hours now, you take the time to do it and again the goalposts are moved.

Last night was the first time I've succumbed to using the ignore feature in 14 years as a boardsie.

It's incredible that every single thread can be picked apart by a single poster and nothing has been done for 2+ years now.

This is the best news I'll get today and nothing will possibly top it on this thread so I'm gonna leave on a high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    You are an idiot.. Hazard is a constant diver, plays the game to always get his opponent sent off..

if you say such a think I presume thats your observations, if so, clearly, you are the one who is an idiot :mad:

KwglTtm.jpg

No need for words now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Man City Squad:

Fernando - 12M (BBC)
    Nolito - 13.8 (BBC)
    Fabian Delph - 8M (BBC)
    David Silva - 24M (BBC)
    Gaël Clichy - 7M (Sky)
    Yaya Touré - 24M (BBC)
    Kelechi Iheanacho - 0
    Aleix García - 0

The CIES Football Observatory in Switzerland and Sky Sports along with many other sports sites disagrees with you. United current squad cost £623m according to them. Real was £553m and City £533m.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement