Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail Fixed Penalty Notice, Rail Safety Act 2005

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Laura4193 wrote: »
    I did. €108 and they took it. I have no more to give, that €108 was tough enough.
    But the chasing after me for the previous fares I cannot and will not be able to afford.

So make an offer of some amount, even a small amount and explain your situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

If not, then yes I'll have to talk to IE but only after I see the solicitor on Thursday evening.

Surely the cost of going to see a solicitor is going to get you halfway to paying the fine???

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Laura4193

Surely going to see a solicitor is going to get you halfway to paying the fine???

How so? It's free legal aid, as I had mentioned in an earlier post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,481 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

How so? It's free legal aid, as I had mentioned in an earlier post.

that will get you some advice. If irish rail bring you to court the free legal aid solicitor wont appear on your behalf. you will have to engage one then or appear as a lay litigant.

that will get you some advice. If irish rail bring you to court the free legal aid solicitor wont appear on your behalf. you will have to engage one then or appear as a lay litigant.

Yes I am going for the purpose of advice on where I stand, I'm aware that if it got as far as court they would not represent me.

To me, professional advice is better than nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Laura, I do think for all purposes here, that the figure of unpaid charges of the portion of the route is around €350.

I would contact them on the number on this letter they sent out, and suggest this is the amount you owe. And if they agree, even then you will need to pay off over a period of time. ( I know you cannot afford this, but ultimately if they bring you to court, this will go in your favor )

Even if it a proposal of 15 euro a month or whatever, anything, just make contact back. It may not go that far, but from experience, the more you make contact the more chance you have of ending this problem. I have no doubt that something like this may be causing stress as it was an innocent mistake and not intent.

If it all fails, and you end up in court, well you are at the very least armed with plenty of cases of making contact with them, paying fines, etc etc. It is up to the Judge after all but not getting to that point is the main argument.

When you first ring you should totally fight them on this, use whatever ammunition you have, threat of media, boards.ie whatever it may be. Let them know you have done your research and talked to people and you are not alone. On a compassion level someone, somewhere, in some office, may just get this written off before court.

Stay strong! Wish you luck!

flexcon wrote: »
    Laura, I do think for all purposes here, that the figure of unpaid charges of the portion of the route is around €350.

I would contact them on the number on this letter they sent out, and suggest this is the amount you owe. And if they agree, even then you will need to pay off over a period of time. ( I know you cannot afford this, but ultimately if they bring you to court, this will go in your favor )

Even if it a proposal of 15 euro a month or whatever, anything, just make contact back. It may not go that far, but from experience, the more you make contact the more chance you have of ending this problem. I have no doubt that something like this may be causing stress as it was an innocent mistake and not intent.

If it all fails, and you end up in court, well you are at the very least armed with plenty of cases of making contact with them, paying fines, etc etc. It is up to the Judge after all but not getting to that point is the main argument.

When you first ring you should totally fight them on this, use whatever ammunition you have, threat of media, boards.ie whatever it may be. Let them know you have done your research and talked to people and you are not alone. On a compassion level someone, somewhere, in some office, may just get this written off before court.

Stay strong! Wish you luck!

Flexcon, thank you so much!

It really was a relief to see someone on here so understanding - if only you worked in IR! :)

I'll definitely have to offer them something I'd say.

Thanks for your help :)

Well lads and lasses it has truly been a pleasure, with some people more than others :)

For those of you who were genuinely wishing the best outcome in my situation thank you very much and you'll be pleased to know I found out as of late last night that IR have dropped all the unpaid fares charges and today I received my leapcard back!

To those cynical pessimistic doubting Thomas' I hope you enjoy humble pie ;)

Happy Friday!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

If you havn't, write them a formal letter explaining the situation and apologising for the confusion.

I got done with a fine in my early 20's getting on in Broombridge which was a little warzone station with nothing and the inspector wasn't having any of it and hit me with a fine. Letter I got back thanked me for my correspondence, advised me that the current process is to pay for the journey at the final destination, but that broombridge is a known issue, and to forget my fine the matter would not be taken further.

Told that to about 4 people who got fines and all got dropped. So my assumption is a formal letter outlining an apology and it being a mistake, will just get it boxed off.

TheDoc wrote: »
    If you havn't, write them a formal letter explaining the situation and apologising for the confusion.

I got done with a fine in my early 20's getting on in Broombridge which was a little warzone station with nothing and the inspector wasn't having any of it and hit me with a fine. Letter I got back thanked me for my correspondence, advised me that the current process is to pay for the journey at the final destination, but that broombridge is a known issue, and to forget my fine the matter would not be taken further.

Told that to about 4 people who got fines and all got dropped. So my assumption is a formal letter outlining an apology and it being a mistake, will just get it boxed off.

Thanks for that TheDoc, but as of last night it has been cleared completely! I even have my card back today :)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,740 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Don't write to them. If you have received something in writing, great, but don't write to them.

Thread closed at OP's request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement