Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Query

Options
  • 13-03-2017 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone might be able to answer this! We are living in swords currently and avail of the fantastic broadband living there provides :P
    Just gone sale agreed on a property near the Naul and am wondering now am I going be transported back to the internet stone age or is there reliable broadband in the region? Basic location on the map below. Thanks in advance for any help :)

naul-broadband.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I seem to remember someone mentioning a few years back that there's eir broadband but only in the village. Maybe that's changed since then - you could try asking in the eir Talk To forum as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Benjy

Check out Imagine LTE. They are currently setting up a mast which covers Naul and is expected to be available beginning of May.

https://www.imagine.ie/lte-irelands-rural-fibre-speed-coverage/lte-fibre-speed-broadband-co-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭plodder

Do you have access to the phone number of the house? If so, you could put it into one of the broadband checkers to see what is currently available.

You say "near the Naul". If you are much further than 1.5km from the town, then high speed VDSL will not be great. You could be looking at less than 10Mbit (or worse).

The last thing to check is if the house is on one of the blue lines at the map below (http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/). This shows Eir's plan for 1000Mbit FTTH. From what I can see, houses along the Balbriggan road will get this, though it's not clear exactly when.

-- Just noticed your map. You could be in luck with the third option, whenever it happens. But the house would need to be on the blue line. Failing that, there is the national broadband plan, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that. Wireless service like Imagine, might be a reasonable stopgap.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 irishd

plodder wrote: »
    The last thing to check is if the house is on one of the blue lines at the map below (http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/). This shows Eir's plan for 1000Mbit FTTH. From what I can see, houses along the Balbriggan road will get this, though it's not clear exactly when.

There seems to be renewed emphasis on the North Dublin area at the moment so there are some grounds for optimism. @plodder - you are in Oldtown, right?

irishd wrote: »
    There seems to be renewed emphasis on the North Dublin area at the moment so there are some grounds for optimism. @plodder - you are in Oldtown, right?
    Yes, I'm in Oldtown. Naul has had much better services than Oldtown. But, we live in hope... (as in Oldtown being supposed to get 1000Mbit fibre Spring/Summer this year).

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm in Oldtown. Naul has had much better services than Oldtown. But, we live in hope... (as in Oldtown being supposed to get 1000Mbit fibre Spring/Summer this year).

The openeir map seems to have been updated recently with a lot more fibre showing around Oldtown/Ballyboughal - previously they were isolated but now appear to join up, also Eir are doing roadworks in nearby Garristown.

The Oldtown exchange status moved to "Fibre build commenced" a while back and KN networks were cutting trees in the village in February. Eir have advertised a road closure on the L1065 (Orchard, where the exchange is) for first week in April so I would say these are all good portents!

The openeir map seems to have been updated recently with a lot more fibre showing around Oldtown/Ballyboughal - previously they were isolated but now appear to join up, also Eir are doing roadworks in nearby Garristown. The Oldtown exchange status moved to "Fibre build commenced" a while back and KN networks were cutting trees in the village in February.
    Yes, I've been following the map updates "closely"
    Eir have advertised a road closure on the L1065 (Orchard, where the exchange is) for first week in April so I would say these are all good portents!
    I didn't know that; it does sound like good news. It's possible they might make high speed DSL available before the FTTH rollout. It might make sense for some people, eg in The Orchard. I suspect my own line(s) aren't connected to the Oldtown exchange, as my house is around a lot longer than it. So, I probably need to wait for the FTTH fibre service.

Yes, I've been following the map updates "closely"

I didn't know that; it does sound like good news. It's possible they might make high speed DSL available before the FTTH rollout. It might make sense for some people, eg in The Orchard. I suspect my own line(s) aren't connected to the Oldtown exchange, as my house is around a lot longer than it. So, I probably need to wait for the FTTH fibre service.

There's never been any mention of FTTC for Oldtown to my knowledge, in contrast to the surrounding villages.

I could be wrong, but given the sparse layout, ancient cabling and the fact that half the homes are connected to the distant Ballyboughal exchange and the other half are connected to the newer Oldtown one which never had any DSL at all, I'd say the most straightforward option is FTTH only. Can't see them installing a vDSL cab for the few houses close enough for it to be useful. They show blue lines going into the Orchard and other estates so probably will just use the existing ducts for the fibre.

Will keep an eye on the roadworks, that should give a better idea of what they are up to ...

There's never been any mention of FTTC for Oldtown to my knowledge, in contrast to the surrounding villages.

I could be wrong, but given the sparse layout, ancient cabling and the fact that half the homes are connected to the distant Ballyboughal exchange and the other half are connected to the newer Oldtown one which never had any DSL at all, I'd say the most straightforward option is FTTH only. Can't see them installing a vDSL cab for the few houses close enough for it to be useful. They show blue lines going into the Orchard and other estates so probably will just use the existing ducts for the fibre.

Will keep an eye on the roadworks, that should give a better idea of what they are up to ...
    I'm only going on the information on that map page, which has a green dot for Ballyboughal, meaning a cabinet up and running (recently) and a blue one for Oldtown, meaning one is planned. If it makes sense to supply VDSL for only 10 houses then I figured that might be easier than blowing fibre through the ducts. But, it's pure speculation and I know that map is kind of a square peg hammered into a round hole, as regards FTTH and what the map symbols really mean. Either way, it'll have to be FTTH for me, to replace my 1Mbit connection to the Ballyboughal exchange, and which can't come soon enough..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

Cheers for the replies. I should be able to get the phone number or some information on what package they are on from the current owners who are very nice. I work from home and rely on a half decent service to get work done.

• Advertisement

The Oldtown exchange status moved to "Fibre build commenced" a while back and KN networks were cutting trees in the village in February. Eir have advertised a road closure on the L1065 (Orchard, where the exchange is) for first week in April so I would say these are all good portents!
    I didn't see any sign of a road closure or activity at the exchange last week. Any idea what's (not) going on?

Advertisement