Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on areas of Balbriggan

Options
  • 13-03-2017 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm currently viewing houses in Balbriggan with a view to buying, if I see the right house in the right area. I'm completely new to the town so lack the local knowledge of particular areas and streets that would be useful in this situation. Does anyone have any advice on particular areas of Balbriggan to look out for?

I have a young family so our priority is living in a quiet, safe environment. Balbriggan appears pretty well equipped with local schools and amenities so it ticks all the boxes there, the only question mark is the quality of life in various estates/streets of the town. If any locals have advice or opinions to share I would be really grateful, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

See this thread started by someone with a similar query a while ago. The advice is still relevant... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91279170

• Registered Users Posts: 11 e06

Thanks for the link to the previous thread. The verdict seems to be that Balbriggan overall is a safe and pleasant place to live, with the odd bit of trouble from teenagers but not to the point that it would put you off living there.

Most of the houses I'm viewing are in the Chieftains Way area. A friend of a friend who lives in Balbriggan said it wouldn't be top of their list, but having now visited the area I didn't see anything that put me off on first glance. I read that it's affectionately referred to as "Legoland" due to the built-up nature of the houses, but it felt very quiet and safe to walk around. Is this a fair summary of the Chieftains Way area, or would I see a different side of it living there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

I live close by and that is a fair summary of the area. The biggest problem with Chieftain's Way is the build quality of some of the houses and obviously pyrite.

I don't see much in the way of anti-social behaviour around and would certainly regard it as a safe place to walk around day or night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 e06

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    I live close by and that is a fair summary of the area. The biggest problem with Chieftain's Way is the build quality of some of the houses and obviously pyrite.

I don't see much in the way of anti-social behaviour around and would certainly regard it as a safe place to walk around day or night.

Thanks, really appreciate your reply. Good to know the area is safe, and I see what you mean about the build quality of some of the houses. I assume the houses there date from the latter stages of the celtic tiger? I didn't hear any noise resulting from paper-thin walls during any of my house viewings, but then again they weren't at midnight on a friday night either so it's hard to be sure! I did notice some damp issues in one of the houses too, but that's not just a Balbriggan-centric problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jbryc04

Hi thinking of buying in Balbriggan max purchase price is €160k which isnt much but better than paying €1200 month in renting. i know there are good and bad areas of Balbriggan - which estate would I be best to stay away from. TIA

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

jbryc04 I've merged your thread with a recent one on the same subject, and if you scroll back up to the second post there's a link to another thread with relevant information :)

Advertisement