Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adopted in Dublin Born in July 1983

Options
  • 13-03-2017 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

My Fiancé was born on the 27th of July 1983, he doesn't know the exact hospital he was born in but he thinks holles street and he thinks he was in temple hill for three months. He doesn't know anything about his adoption and feels uncomfortable asking his adopted mother about it. The only thing he knows for sure is that there is diabetes in his birth family.
    This is such a long shot, but where do u start looking without knowing any information only a birth date?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭180567

Check out the adoption rights alliance website as there is a lot of very useful information there. Also the trace guides explain ways to get what's called non-identifying information, which you can then use to work out more information.

If you just have the birthdate you can go to the general records office in werburg Street and for 2 euro check the record books for the year of birth. But it may take all day or more as without the name you will need to find all the births on the day of birth. Then you can try to narrow them down , possibly by seeing if the mother's maiden name is the same, (there's a lot more detail on how to do this in the adoption rights alliance website).

Good luck with your search. I found my original birth certificate this way through the general records office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Caireann27

Thank you, we actually found out more information today from his adopted mother. He was born in holles street, was in temple hill in blackrock under a sister Gabrielle. Birth Mother was a student accountant and liked to make dresses. Thats all she could tell us. She thinks he was baptised in south William Street so we will go and look for his baptism cert hopefully that may have some more information on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

I wouldn't take that info as gospel. Adoptive parents were told many fibs about the birth mother. Dh's adoptive parents were told his birth mother was a student in a Dublin college - she'd never set foot in it! Also, unfortunately his Baptism Cert may not be given to you with his original name. Dh was refused his and told he'd have to request it from the archbishop! He didn't bother.
    I'd say a trip to the GRO is your best bet to start with. He can write to the adoption agency and request non identifying information. It may give his mothers first name and age. This would help narrow down any potential certs you may get at the GRO.

Advertisement