Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian Pacific Wheel Race (Australia) 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

Apparently because of "Health Concerns" according to one Facebook Poster.
    The map said he was in third overall before pulling out.

Eoin is about to cross the border.

EDIT: Over The Hill CC have a post from him.
    He could not get to the next rest stop before it closed, as he was unable to turn the pedals.
    https://www.facebook.com/OverTheHillCyclingClub/posts/1389104221135127

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Maven still chugging along but he said in his recent video he just didn't put the time in beforehand so he's just going to crack on at a reasonable pace.

Less than 70Km separating the 2 front runners, Kristof Allegaer (Bel) & Mike Hall (UK), so will be interesting to see how they fair over the remaining 2000Km with most of the climbing to come.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sarah Hammond is "only" 100 km behind Mike Hall. Now she could have stopped later than him, but she is a machine and has already won Race to the Rock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Weepsie wrote: »
    Sarah Hammond is "only" 100 km behind Mike Hall. Now she could have stopped later than him, but she is a machine and has already won Race to the Rock

She also has several 'everesting' rides under her belt which may give her the advantage in the hills.

There's a a lot of climbing after 3500 km

I'm in a place with super slow internet (the tracker map take 2 minutes to load), so I'm missing all the craic.

• Advertisement

Eoin was hit by a car, he had to withdraw at 2,702km.
    Bad buzz, as he was going so well.

Slightly Graphic Content: https://www.instagram.com/p/BSKY9lUhG3z/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Cycling Maven just went off course by 20km so now he has to cycle back the way to get back on course.. Ooops. Perhaps he should've stayed with Rupe ;)

Mike Hall takes the lead, dude is a beast. He's ~20Km ahead of Kristoff Allegaert.

I think Kristoff might be boxing clever. He didn't willingly hand over 100km lead. It'll be interesting coming into the final stages.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I think Kristoff might be boxing clever. He didn't willingly hand over 100km lead. It'll be interesting coming into the final stages.

He's back in the lead now. It looks like they've about 2000m of climbing over the next 50Km so interesting times ahead.

• Advertisement

py wrote: »
    He's back in the lead now. It looks like they've about 2000m of climbing over the next 50Km so interesting times ahead.

He's well in the lead now. He has 100 km on Mike Hall again. He could be finished this time tomorrow.

Closer to a 200km lead now.

I'd say we're looking at the 123 there now I can't see Sarah Hammond catching Hall now. If she had any chance it would've been going into the hills but Mike seems to have found another gear there.

She mentioned that there's not much more she can pull out of the bag as she's only sleeping an hour or two. Gonna give it her all in the last shift but at that point they'll be thinking the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭thedudeinthehat

py wrote: »
    iwillhtfu wrote: »

Following the youtube channel "curve" and some interviews from Mike. Apparently what happened to Mike was the big push to overtake Kristoff involved lack of sleep, rest, re-fuelling. Facing into another night of climbing in the dark (up to 1500 meters) Mike then started having issues with eye sight. The glare and reflection from bike lights on signs, barrriers etc, were causing issues and I assume we are on the border of hallucinations at that stage. Given all that sleep was the best decision but has it led to too big a gap now? Either way epic racing and pro coverage could learn something from.this whole event. Social media and dot watching for.the win!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Inquitus wrote: »

https://twitter.com/Indi_Pac/status/847630565717065729

Absolutely crushing to see this end to such an incredible event, lot of people reporting it was Mike Hall involved in the accident. RIP and thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭thedudeinthehat

Depp wrote: »
    Inquitus wrote: »

https://twitter.com/Indi_Pac/status/847630565717065729

Absolutely crushing to see this end to such an incredible event, lot of people reporting it was Mike Hall involved in the accident. RIP and thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

Absolutely horrific. After two weeks of dot watching many people had come to check the race finish at Sydney and awoke to this news. Heartbreaking for everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Awful news

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Tragic news. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Rip Mike Hall, shocking news, and a horrible finish to what has been a great event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

OH NO....

• Advertisement

Really sad, RIP Mike Hall. :( Organisers made the right call.

That's awful. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Such a tragedy. RIP Mike and condolences to family and friends.

Wow.. I just logged on to see what the state of play was ans still haven't had a chance to read the article.

RIP Mike Hall very sad day :(

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

So sad. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lethal dose

RIP Mike Hall
    Terrible news.

i had seen concerns being raised by Cycling Maven about lack of sleep and rider fatigue earlier this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Desperate news. I feel sick.

Crowdfunding set up for any costs involved in getting him home: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/Mikehall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Terrible news. RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

RIP

Awful but a life of adventure preceded it.

My condolences to family and friends

Advertisement