Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Di2 battery removal

Options
  • 13-03-2017 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭

After a few failed attempts to repair the clamp part of my seat post, it looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and get a new post.
    I've removed the useless Rose item and am now faced with the task of removing the battery. There seems to be 2 halves of a rubber grommet securing the battery into the post, but no amount of pulling is making any difference, and one side is starting to tear.
    I've tried washing up liquid and hairspray with no luck. Any other ideas??

I'm also on the look out for a new carbon seat post if anyone has anything lying about. 27.2mm diameter and preferably a 25mm set back.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

After a few failed attempts to repair the clamp part of my seat post, it looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and get a new post.
    I've removed the useless Rose item and am now faced with the task of removing the battery. There seems to be 2 halves of a rubber grommet securing the battery into the post, but no amount of pulling is making any difference, and one side is starting to tear.
    I've tried washing up liquid and hairspray with no luck. Any other ideas??

I'm also on the look out for a new carbon seat post if anyone has anything lying about. 27.2mm diameter and preferably a 25mm set back.

Thanks in advance

What model is it? And have you checked for a "hatch" under the bike? I know nothing about Rose bikes btw, just wondering.

Is there a C clip in play? http://www.jensonusa.com/images/Default-Image/Zoom/5/BR308Z06.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

There's no circlip there. There is a rubber grommet in two halves and the whole thing is pretty solid in there

There's no circlip there. There is a rubber grommet in two halves and the whole thing is pretty solid in there

You're life line seems really strong.

I'd tell you more, but there is a blurry black thing in the way.

Not a great picture (phone). There were two tabs but the one on the right ripped off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Is the seat post toast?

If so cut the top of and push the battery through I think those black bungs work like a fish hook.

That's one option I'd already thought of. I'll see what I can source locally first. Another option, with less hassle but more cost, is to get the same post from Rose and just use the new clamp. If a LBS can help me I can be back on the road quicker.

Looks like this is covered by Rose warranty so hopefully a resolution soon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

If you google di2 battery holder for seatpost, you'll find various rubber things to hold the battery in place. That might give you some ideas about to deal with it. I had a Rose with a di2 battery in the post, but TBH it came in and out, with the rubber bung, handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Perhaps try some silicon oil (2.99 in Lidl), as it reduces friction between rubber / plastic parts and metals...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sprite0

I have a 
    Rose Xeon with the same set up. Rubber grommet was a bit tight but sprayed a bit of WD40 down each side and it came out. Rotated it the post first before pulling it out.

Thanks all. I've left it in with LBS at the moment but hopefully Rose are replacing it under warranty now, so it will be sorted soon one way or the other

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Sorry to hijack but on a related note did anyone remove a battery from a Canyon?

Now hopefully I won't have to do it anytime soon but it looks like it could be a pig of a job.

It's in a holder in the downtube, so for starters I'd say you'd have to write off and replace the bottom bracket.

Seven Worlds will Collide

Sorry to hijack but on a related note did anyone remove a battery from a Canyon?

Now hopefully I won't have to do it anytime soon but it looks like it could be a pig of a job.

It's in a holder in the downtube, so for starters I'd say you'd have to write off and replace the bottom bracket.

I doubt it's in the down tube - seat tube more like.

From what I've seen these ones are held in with padding and not like the seat post ones. There might be a little tab to pull the battery up and out.

Why would you write off the bottom bracket either way?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Why would you write off the bottom bracket either way?

I was under the impression that when you hammer out a pressfit that's the end of it.

Seven Worlds will Collide

I was under the impression that when you hammer out a pressfit that's the end of it.

I don't actually know to be honest I would imagine they can be removed without any hammering and re used but then I guess they're unlikely to be removed unless the BB is shot.

Problem solved. New seat post on its way from Rose under warranty.

2a61cw4.jpg

Would it come out the bottom via the cable cap?

Advertisement