Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG Freesat TV's - Switching Antenna to Sat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

STB. wrote: »
    Just get an enigma2 box. One remote.

I have a Vu+Duo2, and an Xtrend ET9000, and that's definitely not the solution.

What I want is no menus, no TV guide, no recording etc etc i.e the exact opposite of what I would buy for myself.
    I got him a 55" LG tv, it's got a sat tuner, it's got a terrestrial tuner, it's got a great picture, it's just using both tuners is so bloody difficult. The "best" solution is probably a combo box, which by definition means not using either tuner and only using the tv as a monitor, seems silly but that's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

I have an lg TV and agree that switching between tuners is very difficult. I recently bought a hisense TV which is a joy to use just set up channels once on favourites from either tuner and that's it. Bingo ! Maybe you could sell lg and get hisense ? the picture is better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I have a Vu Duo2, and an Xtrend ET9000, and that's definitely not the solution.

What I want is no menus, no TV guide, no recording etc etc i.e the exact opposite of what I would buy for myself.
    I got him a 55" LG tv, it's got a sat tuner, it's got a terrestrial tuner, it's got a great picture, it's just using both tuners is so bloody difficult. The "best" solution is probably a combo box, which by definition means not using either tuner and only using the tv as a monitor, seems silly but that's life.

You can turn a lot of stuff off on an enigma2 box.

You dont need a VuDUo2 or Xtrend ET9000. They'd be pointless as they are not combo boxes.

The pictures above are from a single tuner sat and saorview combo box. It is an enigma2 box, a gigablue. It doesnt have to be a gigablue. You can get a single dvb-t and dvb-s2 enigma2 box for less than a hundred quid.

e2 options allow near full slef configuration. You can turn off a lot of things, like menus etc.

If you want to use a different remote you can. It'll use the samsung remote (for example) if the normal one is too complicated. Many other e2 combo boxes could be forced to use a siimple rcu.

You can also reassign all the keys in e2. Thats your starting point. You will not be able to lock down an off the shelf non e2 combo box as they use closed software. I doubt you are into decrompressing formware and trying to hack it!!

You can turn a lot of stuff off on an enigma2 box.

You dont need a VuDUo2 or Xtrend ET9000. They'd be pointless as they are not combo boxes.

The pictures above are from a single tuner sat and saorview combo box. It is an enigma2 box, a gigablue. It doesnt have to be a gigablue. You can get a single dvb-t and dvb-s2 enigma2 box for less than a hundred quid.

e2 options allow near full slef configuration. You can turn off a lot of things, like menus etc.

If you want to use a different remote you can. It'll use the samsung remote (for example) if the normal one is too complicated. Many other e2 combo boxes could be forced to use a siimple rcu.

You can also reassign all the keys in e2. Thats your starting point. You will not be able to lock down an off the shelf non e2 combo box as they use closed software. I doubt you are into decrompressing formware and trying to hack it!!

I know m8, been in the sat game since D2mac, I actually have a gigablue somewhere in the attic.
    The Vu+Duo2 is a combo box, and the Extrend 9000 is too as it has an external tuner but anyway I don't really see the point of using E2 for FTA stuff.
    Actually any of the boxes like the old Ferguson Ariva 120 can be configured to arrange the channel list with a combination of sat/terrestrial.
    I know most of the solutions m8, was just agreeing with the op that if the likes of LG put a little effort into their software, it would be a nice clean boxless solution.

What I din't know until this thread was that it appears that Walker or Hisense can do this although until now, they were brands I would ignore.

I know m8, been in the sat game since D2mac, I actually have a gigablue somewhere in the attic.
    The Vu+Duo2 is a combo box, and the Extrend 9000 is too as it has an external tuner but anyway I don't really see the point of using E2 for FTA stuff.
    Actually any of the boxes like the old Ferguson Ariva 120 can be configured to arrange the channel list with a combination of sat/terrestrial.
    I know most of the solutions m8, was just agreeing with the op that if the likes of LG put a little effort into their software, it would be a nice clean boxless solution.

What I din't know until this thread was that it appears that Walker or Hisense can do this although until now, they were brands I would ignore.

The Vu Duo 2 and Et9000 are twin sat boxes. Adding a USB to a box might make it a combo box but they are not sold with more stable on board NIMMs.

Ferguson (like a lot of the closed software) boxes are Ali based chips. There are tools for editing but are not for end user. You also need to know what you are doing. Not many can fully disassemble an ALI firmware !

The point was that a basic e2 box with actual hardware sat and terrestrial tuners is a good basis for starting and then switching off stuff that confuses people and they are customisable unlike closed source boxes.

Not many manufacturers have implemented cross tuner mixing in their channel lists outside a few Vestel manufactured TVs. You should be able to create a fav list outside the tuner module selected and let the software do the switching but the guy at Chansort couldnt do it and probably knows more than the techs in these companies about the binary files embedded within the TLL files that control the channel lists on LG, Samsungs etc. I have used the software and the fav lists do not operate outsde the tuner module from what I can see, but I'd have to look more into hotel mode.

• Advertisement

The Vu Duo 2 and Et9000 are twin sat boxes. Adding a USB to a box might make it a combo box but they are not sold with more stable on board NIMMs.

Like I said my Vu+Duo2 was and is a combi box, I am watching it right now, it has built in twin sat and DvbT/C tuner, because that's how I bought it. It is not an external tuner.
    Ferguson (like a lot of the closed software) boxes are Ali based chips. There are tools for editing but are not for end user. You also need to know what you are doing.

There was a full thread here somewhere on the Ferguson Arive 120, was a piece of cake to use, I guess someone had done the hard work for us.

There was a full thread here somewhere on the Ferguson Arive 120, was a piece of cake to use, I guess someone had done the hard work for us.

This one ? Yeah its now over six and a half years since I started that thread.

In that time Ferguson have updated a few chips here and there and upped the processor. They've had the 150/250/153/253 since but nothing much has changed. Still ALI based. Closed source. Theres lots of stuff I would love to do within the maincode, but its locked down. ferguson are moving into ARM and android based stuff anyway.

Again a sub 100euro locked down E2 box is a better starting point.

This one ?

That's the one m8, worked a treat back then with an old Sony 32" crt. :D
    That's the point I'm trying to make, it's impossible to make a twin tuner tv to behave similar to that dirt cheap little combo box from years ago.

Or I wish LG or whoever would fix it, because I'm too lazy. :pac:

Thats my Vu+Duo2 setup, all built in.

r8s9kx.jpg

That's the one m8, worked a treat back then with an old Sony 32" crt. :D
    That's the point I'm trying to make, it's impossible to make a twin tuner tv to behave similar to that dirt cheap little combo box from years ago.

Well the thing about the little cheap boxes is that they are limited by the software. Take the fergusons or other ALI chip boxes. Their downfall was that they have to be retuned when a station moved. Hence I have lost this channel, or this channel isnt working posts etc.

The Autobouquets python plugin exists on E2 platform. No more re-tune problems. A good starting point for what you want to do. Now go into the menus and turn all the menus off and reconfig the RCU mapping! You have a box that non tech folk can use.

Now lets take your VuoDuo2 (with the 3rd NIM installed). That cost you €400+. You can now buy a similarily configed 3 tuner 1.3ghz MIPS E2 box for £89. So if you were thinking I am not going to spend €400+ to do something like this headcase on boards is suggesting, ask yourself would you do it with a sub €100 box ????

Well the thing about the little cheap boxes is that they are limited by the software. Take the fergusons or other ALI chip boxes. Their downfall was that they have to be retuned when a station moved. Hence I have lost this channel, or this channel isnt working posts etc.

The Autobouquets python plugin exists on E2 platform. No more re-tune problems. A good starting point for what you want to do. Now go into the menus and turn all the menus off and reconfig the RCU mapping! You have a box that non tech folk can use.

Now lets take your VuoDuo2 (with the 3rd NIM installed). That cost you €400+. You can now buy a similarily configed 3 tuner 1.3ghz MIPS E2 box for £89. So if you were thinking I am not going to spend €400+ to do something like this headcase on boards is suggesting, ask yourself would you do it with a sub €100 box ????

I know what you are saying m8, I have spent zillions of hours back in the day on my knees prodding and poking at season interfaces, back when Elvis was a programmer not a singer. Money isn't even an issue, if it's available I'll get it.

The problem in my case, is there is not a solution which can be bought for what seems like an simple problem.
    It's probably unique to older Irish people. The parents grew up with analog tv, where you put up a "BBC" aerial and you tuned them on your ancient tv, and presto they appeared one after another Rte1, Rte2, BBC1, BBC2, UTV etc.
    No boxes, no menus, no nothing, just worked albeit with some snow.They don't want Sky, they don't want TV guides, they don't want to record, time shift, nothing only flick through the channels.

eg, the auld fella wants to watch the 9:00 pm news on Rte and then wants to get the 10:00pm news on BBC1

I have tried boxes from sky, freesat to E2 etc all "kinda" solutions but none as simple as it could be.

Because of bad eyesight, won't put on the glasses, the remote pointing the wrong way, the couch in the way of the box, someone has pressed the menu button on the box, or the radio button etc etc blah blah, the phone call comes "the BBC's won't work. - Aarrgh

I am not talking your average customer here, I'm talking a niche market and I'm reluctant to use elderly or get the aegist brigade going again.

I just think it's weird, that I have a house full of boxes, ranging form the new Vu+ to the Nvidia Shield Tv and everything in-between from Iptv to Xboxes and yet I can't get what he once had.

Or to cut out all the chat, this is the sum total of what he wants. and if anyone knows the best way of achieving that, then that's all I need. Occasional retuning of channels is not an issue, I can sort that, if and when it happens.

One Tv with One remote.

Press 1 = Rte1
    Press 2 = Rte2
    Press 3 = Tv 3
    Press 4 = Tg4
    Press 5 = BBC 1
    Press 6 = BBC 2
    Press 7 = ITV
    Press 8 = Ch4
    Press 9 = Sky News

Vol Up
    Vol Down

On/Off

Maybe according to this thread, the Walker or Hisense tv's can do this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Zimmerframe, I dont know much about the Hisense TV's but from what your saying the closest TV to what your looking for for your father is the Walker and Nordmende saorview/satellite TV. All the channels are on the same screen, 1 remote and its button up or button down to move through the channels. Brilliant solution for non techies and for older people. As i said to a elderly gentleman the other day while i was setting up his new walker TV, Doro make the phones simple, Walker/Nordmende make the TV's simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I know what you are saying m8, I have spent zillions of hours back in the day on my knees prodding and poking at season interfaces, back when Elvis was a programmer not a singer. Money isn't even an issue, if it's available I'll get it.

The problem in my case, is there is not a solution which can be bought for what seems like an simple problem.
    It's probably unique to older Irish people. The parents grew up with analog tv, where you put up a "BBC" aerial and you tuned them on your ancient tv, and presto they appeared one after another Rte1, Rte2, BBC1, BBC2, UTV etc.
    No boxes, no menus, no nothing, just worked albeit with some snow.They don't want Sky, they don't want TV guides, they don't want to record, time shift, nothing only flick through the channels.

eg, the auld fella wants to watch the 9:00 pm news on Rte and then wants to get the 10:00pm news on BBC1

I have tried boxes from sky, freesat to E2 etc all "kinda" solutions but none as simple as it could be.

Because of bad eyesight, won't put on the glasses, the remote pointing the wrong way, the couch in the way of the box, someone has pressed the menu button on the box, or the radio button etc etc blah blah, the phone call comes "the BBC's won't work. - Aarrgh

I am not talking your average customer here, I'm talking a niche market and I'm reluctant to use elderly or get the aegist brigade going again.

I just think it's weird, that I have a house full of boxes, ranging form the new Vu+ to the Nvidia Shield Tv and everything in-between from Iptv to Xboxes and yet I can't get what he once had.

Or to cut out all the chat, this is the sum total of what he wants. and if anyone knows the best way of achieving that, then that's all I need. Occasional retuning of channels is not an issue, I can sort that, if and when it happens.

One Tv with One remote.

Press 1 = Rte1
    Press 2 = Rte2
    Press 3 = Tv 3
    Press 4 = Tg4
    Press 5 = BBC 1
    Press 6 = BBC 2
    Press 7 = ITV
    Press 8 = Ch4
    Press 9 = Sky News

Vol Up
    Vol Down

On/Off

Maybe according to this thread, the Walker or Hisense tv's can do this.

Based on that I would say a cheap combi STB set up with only those channels tuned and listed.
    I have no idea when any of those channels last moved to warrant a retune, so that is not a problem.

Get a Dora (or other) simple remote for daily use with the STB.
    Keep the original STB remote safely so it is available if required.

Did I miss something important?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

hatchman wrote: »
    On LG press List --> red button --> use arrow to go between antenna and satellite its not perfect but quick enough when u get used to it.

Just switched on the TV....it took 8 keypresses to change from Sat to Antenna...well at least it's better than 14....

Navarre wrote: »
    the closest TV to what your looking for for your father is the Walker and Nordmende saorview/satellite TV. All the channels are on the same screen, 1 remote and its button up or button down to move through the channels. Brilliant solution for non techies and for older people. As i said to a elderly gentleman the other day while i was setting up his new walker TV, Doro make the phones simple, Walker/Nordmende make the TV's simple.

Thats exactly what I'm looking for m8. I'll be checking them in the sales.

It's weird being a "techie", trying to be a technophobe. :D

One more question, is there decent sound from those tv's, as in can they go pretty loud like the LG.

exaisle wrote: »
    Just switched on the TV....it took 8 keypresses to change from Sat to Antenna...well at least it's better than 14....

So I edited my channel list from the LG using Chansort by downloading the channel list via USB Cloning mode.

I added all the the channels I need and added a fav list(A) and have started the sat list at "9" and flased it back to the box. Fav Lists do not seem to work outside their respective tuners which is worse than useless. So you can have fav lists just not ones that mix from both sources. Massive issue.

I see the latest version that have web OS 3 apparently handle all this better, but LG wont be offering this to legacy TV's.

I wonder could I remap the radio button to read the DTV Sat list. Theres a Button Remapper for android but I havent looked into it yet.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Thats exactly what I'm looking for m8. I'll be checking them in the sales.

It's weird being a "techie", trying to be a technophobe. :D

One more question, is there decent sound from those tv's, as in can they go pretty loud like the LG.

Here is a thread about them and i have some pics included on my post on it.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102918981

As i have been saying these TVs are a big improvement on other satellite and saorview TV's. all the channels can be setup on the same screen. Brilliant for elderly people. 1 remote and no boxes. The sound is a bit down but there is an option in settings to switch on hard of hearing which gives the sound a boost.

Navarre wrote: »
    As i have been saying.

Cheers m8, didn't actually see that thread at all, just spotted the LG thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

So I edited my channel list from the LG using Chansort by downloading the channel list via USB Cloning mode.

I added all the the channels I need and added a fav list(A) and have started the sat list at "9" and flased it back to the box. Fav Lists do not seem to work outside their respective tuners which is worse than useless. So you can have fav lists just not ones that mix from both sources. Massive issue.

I see the latest version that have web OS 3 apparently handle all this better, but LG wont be offering this to legacy TV's.

I wonder could I remap the radio button to read the DTV Sat list. Theres a Button Remapper for android but I havent looked into it yet.

Care to share your edited channel list?

SeamusFX wrote: »
    Care to share your edited channel list?

No you cant do that. They are not interchangable between models. You have to enter the Hotel mode/USB Cloning mode on your own TV get your channel list and edit it in chansort save it and flasj it back.

Here, read Page 4 in this thread. Posts 42, 47 and 49 tell you how you do it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057497083&page=4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cojobt

Can anyone tell me if the LG magic remote (AN-MR650A) improves the situation re antenna/satellite switching? How well does the voice command function work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

the latest Panasonics seem to have it sorted . Ive bought and set up a couple for elderly clients and they have no issues at all.

They have proper Freesat, and can toggle between Freesat and terrestrial simply by pressing the TV button on the top right of the remote. 3 presses I think and just 2 buttons .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cojobt

Rippy wrote: »
    the latest Panasonics seem to have it sorted . Ive bought and set up a couple for elderly clients and they have no issues at all.

They have proper Freesat, and can toggle between Freesat and terrestrial simply by pressing the TV button on the top right of the remote. 3 presses I think and just 2 buttons .

Can you recall the model number?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The easiest way I have found of doing this on my LG TV is to add one Sat and one Terrestrial channel to the "My Channels" list. So say, RTE One, and BBC One.

Then all you have to do is hit the "HOME" key on the remote, click left to My Channels, then select which one you want. Voila, simple changing between Sat and Terrestrial...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 belkotie

it is possible so seamlessly switch between aerial and sat channels via application. it may be a bit of pain to start the app every time you start TV (but with "recent" button it is reasonably fast process). have another TV now but i think i was using "SS IPTV" application. Had a playlist with freeview and soarview channels and was switching with "OK" button. SS IPTV will sort out your EPG as well cos navie epg support in LG is sh.t

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cbeggan

If your LG tv is running Webos 3.5 (e.g. a recent model 2017 onwards ) you can set Quick Access favourites onto buttons 1 to 9 on the remote. Set RTE1 onto button 1 and BBC 1 in button 2.

Now a long-press on 1 brings you to RTE1 (and the saorview epg) and a long press on 2 brings you to BBC1 and the Freesat epg. If you have the magic remote with voice command you can also say "change channel to BBC1 " etc and you will switch between epgs. Google "webOS-3-5-quick-access" for instructions

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cillo2000

cbeggan wrote: »
    If your LG tv is running Webos 3.5 (e.g. a recent model 2017 onwards ) you can set Quick Access favourites onto buttons 1 to 9 on the remote. Set RTE1 onto button 1 and BBC 1 in button 2.

Now a long-press on 1 brings you to RTE1 (and the saorview epg) and a long press on 2 brings you to BBC1 and the Freesat epg. If you have the magic remote with voice command you can also say "change channel to BBC1 " etc and you will switch between epgs. Google "webOS-3-5-quick-access" for instructions

Great tip, thanks a lot. I tried to chansort my freesat channels to get rid of the junk and put the channels into a logical order. It works for a few seconds, but then the tv auto updates and screws it up. Apparently you can disable the auto update in hotel mode, but I can't seem to access HM on my 2017 oled panel. I tried long pressing the settings button and the home button, neither of them worked. The auto update can be disabled on the standard menu, but the tv keeps asking to switch it back on. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

cillo2000 wrote: »
    Great tip, thanks a lot. I tried to chansort my freesat channels to get rid of the junk and put the channels into a logical order. It works for a few seconds, but then the tv auto updates and screws it up. Apparently you can disable the auto update in hotel mode, but I can't seem to access HM on my 2017 oled panel. I tried long pressing the settings button and the home button, neither of them worked. The auto update can be disabled on the standard menu, but the tv keeps asking to switch it back on. Any ideas?

Factory reset maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just bought this tv https://www.currys.ie/ieen/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/lg-32lk6100-32-smart-hdr-led-tv-10178870-pdt.html

and after setting it up here I am!
    I set the tv region to 'Ireland' but the satellite search is 'free to air' and even if I want to use that it looks like a hassle to switch over to satellite mode from terrestrial. I'm guessing the only way to get Freesat EPG is to set the TV as region Uk? thus losing Saorview? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

Pangea wrote:
    and after setting it up here I am! I set the tv region to 'Ireland' but the satellite search is 'free to air' and even if I want to use that it looks like a hassle to switch over to satellite mode from terrestrial. I'm guessing the only way to get Freesat EPG is to set the TV as region Uk? thus losing Saorview?

You won't lose saorview if u have Freesat setup. There is a thread on how to best set up it up you will have search for it tho. It's not that bad to switch from one to other there is a few short cuts and it becomes second nature. I ditched Freesat as no channel 4 hd and set up FTA and set up favourites list. Only use it when sky box is recording two shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cillo2000

I got sorted in the end. The 'Anymote' app didn't give me the option for 'In-start' on my oneplus phone. I installed 'Anymote' on my old HTC M8 where I had the option to select 'In-start'. Pressing the blue button in the service menu got me into 'hotel mode' where I disabled the auto update feature. Now I have a cleaned up saorview channel list in the 'freeview' EPG. I also reorganised the freesat channels and deleted the junk channels, its a far better TV experience now. I also signed up to smartydns, now all the UK tv players work with freesat, except all4. I now consider the TV babysitter friendly!

Advertisement