Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG Freesat TV's - Switching Antenna to Sat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

cillo2000 wrote: »
    I got sorted in the end. The 'Anymote' app didn't give me the option for 'In-start' on my oneplus phone. I installed 'Anymote' on my old HTC M8 where I had the option to select 'In-start'. Pressing the blue button in the service menu got me into 'hotel mode' where I disabled the auto update feature. Now I have a cleaned up saorview channel list in the 'freeview' EPG. I also reorganised the freesat channels and deleted the junk channels, its a far better TV experience now. I also signed up to smartydns, now all the UK tv players work with freesat, except all4. I now consider the TV babysitter friendly!

Do you still have to press list and switch to satellite that way? My sisters Panasonic TV has a one button switch from terrestrial to satellite I just assumed all tvs would be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cillo2000

Pangea wrote: »
    Do you still have to press list and switch to satellite that way? My sisters Panasonic TV has a one button switch from terrestrial to satellite I just assumed all tvs would be the same.

Well now it's a one button operation thanks to cbeggan's tip. I've set up the quick keys so a long press on '1' brings me to RTE1 and then i can scroll through the Irish channels. Then a lot press on '2' brings me to BBC1, then i can scroll through the uk channels. Not that webos 3.5 is amazing or anything, but it's better than the firefox OS on the panasonics.

hatchman wrote: »
    I ditched Freesat as no channel 4 hd and set up FTA and set up favourites list. Only use it when sky box is recording two shows.

Why couldn't you get ch4 HD on freesat?

Well now it's a one button operation thanks to cbeggan's tip. I've set up the quick keys so a long press on '1' brings me to RTE1 and then i can scroll through the Irish channels. Then a lot press on '2' brings me to BBC1, then i can scroll through the uk channels. Not that webos 3.5 is amazing or anything, but it's better than the firefox OS on the panasonics.
    Brillant, thanks I somehow missed that post, great tip will try it out.
    I just tried my TV setting the region to UK, freesat working and the freeview section has the Irish channels but they are all in different order with lots of channels in between blank. I must go back and read your posts on cleaning it up.

Why couldn't you get ch4 HD on freesat?

Channel 4 pulled HD due to the higher charges demanded from BBC and ITV (freesat owners), they also pulled the all4 app. C4 is still there in standard definition, its not that big an issue.

• Advertisement

Brillant, thanks I somehow missed that post, great tip will try it out.
    I just tried my TV setting the region to UK, freesat working and the freeview section has the Irish channels but they are all in different order with lots of channels in between blank. I must go back and read your posts on cleaning it up.

You can manually update the freeview/saorview channels using the program manager. The hotel mode chansort takes a little more effort but it's worth it. One side effect, i have lost my voice search for some reason. Not that I used it anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Here is how to combine terrestrial (Saorview ) and Satellite in 20 channels quick access, in case its Astra 19e and Hotbird 13e and the same for Freesat.
    Follow the pictures to set up quick access.
    My tv is LG 43 UHD

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Here is how to combine terrestrial (Saorview ) and Satellite in 20 channels quick access, in case its Astra 19e and Hotbird 13e and the same for Freesat.

Move along the bottom menu till you see my channels and then follow the pictures. That will give you quick access to 20 of your favorite channels

lgs 4 wrote: »

Move along the bottom menu till you see my channels and then follow the pictures. That will give you quick access to 20 of your favorite channels
    Thanks LG very helpful ☺

Does anyone know If you have your region set to UK can you still download and use the Rte player app?

Thanks LG very helpful ☺

Does anyone know If you have your region set to UK can you still download and use the Rte player app?

My tv is set to the UK and the rte player worked fine until i switched on smartydns. I get the BBCi player, itv player etc I'm sure there is a way to get RTE player if i was bothered. Short answer is yes.

• Advertisement

When I go to the EPG of the freesat and flick through the channels it says in the preview box unable to preview, and when I press click to select the channel or on the programmes it doesnt respond. Hope there is some way to fix this.

When I go to the EPG of the freesat and flick through the channels it says in the preview box unable to preview, and when I press click to select the channel or on the programmes it doesnt respond. Hope there is some way to fix this.

Ya it's not great in the freesat EPG, my TV is the same. I haven't really investigated it yet.

Ya it's not great in the freesat EPG, my TV is the same. I haven't really investigated it yet.

These guys seemed to have done a lot of digging but to no avail
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-freesat-epg-channel-preview-issue.2066706/

These guys seemed to have done a lot of digging but to no avail
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-freesat-epg-channel-preview-issue.2066706/

Seem likes the other TV manufacturers have similar issues with the EPG preview. I was going to get my mum an LG for Christmas, but the freesat EPG could be an issue. I don't care about the program preview, its the multiple clicks on the EPG menu to watch a channel is the deal breaker. Any recommendation for an easy to use smart tv with Freesat for the older generations?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,558 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Any recommendation for an easy to use smart tv with Freesat for the older generations?

Walker, Nordmende and some Toshiba models. Terrestrial and FTA satellite in a single list. FTA satellite channels start at 300. Now and next info for the sat channels. Nothing similar with Freesat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

My tv is set to the UK and the rte player worked fine until i switched on smartydns. I get the BBCi player, itv player etc I'm sure there is a way to get RTE player if i was bothered. Short answer is yes.

My LG is set to UK and there's no RTE player. To get it do I have to install it as Ireland then change to UK? Changing location deletes the channel list but nothing else right? Hardly use that app in fairness so might not be worth the bother....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sweathead

Change network location to Ireland and RTE player works

MBSnr wrote: »
    My LG is set to UK and there's no RTE player. To get it do I have to install it as Ireland then change to UK? Changing location deletes the channel list but nothing else right? Hardly use that app in fairness so might not be worth the bother....
    sweathead wrote: »
    Change network location to Ireland and RTE player works

Thanks. I left the broadcast location as UK (to keep the Freesat listing) and changed the LG services location to Ireland. I'd thought it might drop all the UK TV apps, but they remained and the RTE app also appeared. ;)

We got two different LG tvs and both are having the same problem with freesat, the EPG Guide is effectively useless , I could get over not seeing the preview pane but I cant actually select any channel to watch from it. Crazy stuff. Currently weighing up my options, would Currys accept the return? It is a fault so I imagine so. Such a hassle though. That would raise another question in what TV would I then buy with good Freesat integration.
    Might just plug in my old Humax and just use the Saorview on my LG.
    The other Tv was for my parents, I was just going to plug in their old freesat box for handiness but there is no scart on theirs.

Thanks. I left the broadcast location as UK (to keep the Freesat listing) and changed the LG services location to Ireland. I'd thought it might drop all the UK TV apps, but they remained and the RTE app also appeared. ;)

When you select a channel from the Freesat epg, does it open the channel for you?

• Advertisement

When you select a channel from the Freesat epg, does it open the channel for you?

Fairly sure it did but just checking there and it didn't... I did change the LG service location to Ireland. Can't imagine that makes any difference. Now I have to click the three line menu at the end of the program in the EPG and then click Watch. It has worked before though....

Annoying but to be honest, this LG TV isn't our main set and we only watch a few channels which I have added to the My Channels in the home menu or access directly by typing the channel number.

Could see this TV being awkward for others like the parents.

Seem likes the other TV manufacturers have similar issues with the EPG preview. I was going to get my mum an LG for Christmas, but the freesat EPG could be an issue. I don't care about the program preview, its the multiple clicks on the EPG menu to watch a channel is the deal breaker. Any recommendation for an easy to use smart tv with Freesat for the older generations?

My sisters Panasonic Viera 49ES500 works great with Saorview and Freesat, the guy that installed it for her had the Irish channels all in order and one press of home brings it to Freesat

Fairly sure it did but just checking there and it didn't... I did change the LG service location to Ireland. Can't imagine that makes any difference. Now I have to click the three line menu at the end of the program in the EPG and then click Watch. It has worked before though....

Annoying but to be honest, this LG TV isn't our main set and we only watch a few channels which I have added to the My Channels in the home menu or access directly by typing the channel number.

Could see this TV being awkward for others like the parents.

Actually I found using the List mode (shows On Now and Next - press red button repeatedly for next hour / 2nd hour / 3rd hour) to work better in place of the guide. After all, the guide lets you plan ahead and record but not necessarily with a need to change to that channel.

Actually I found using the List mode (shows On Now and Next - press red button repeatedly for next hour / 2nd hour / 3rd hour) to work better in place of the guide. After all, the guide lets you plan ahead and record but not necessarily with a need to change to that channel.

Is it possible to clean up the Irish channels to put them in order?

Is it possible to clean up the Irish channels to put them in order?

In Program Manager you can edit and renumber the channels. Doing that puts then in order. I also hid/skipped the 20 or so other channels found by the DTT search so they don't appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

Anyone have this issue in the EPG for FreeSat? I can usually switch stations using the OK button once, after that if I use the EPG again I have to move right from the channel id to the current program, right once more to highlight the menu entry, select it and then select watch and exit out of the EPG.

tnegun wrote: »
    Anyone have this issue in the EPG for FreeSat? I can usually switch stations using the OK button once, after that if I use the EPG again I have to move right from the channel id to the current program, right once more to highlight the menu entry, select it and then select watch and exit out of the EPG.

Yeah mine does the same. I find the list function much more useful.

LGs reply to me about the issue:

I have had a further look in to this for you and this TV does posse the capabilities to decode satellite signals however, it is not fully optimised for satellite use and this is why the TV will not be able to perform all freesat features. The TV is not marketed by LG directly as having freesat, we have marketed this as satellite but it can have basic features of freesat.

Due to the fact the TV is not fully optimised for freesat there will be certain aspects of this that are not compatible with this unit.

I do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Interesting - what does the epg layout look like. Is it the green colour?

• Advertisement

I bought my mum a new 43" webos 4.0 TV today. Interestingly the preview works when initially switching to freesat, but after selecting a channel and then reopening the EPG the preview doesn't work. So I assume its technically possible but they can be bothered fixing it.

Advertisement