Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat 6 cable

• 13-03-2017 10:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

Im renovating my old family home and I'm upgrading a lot of things like heating , insulation and now I'm looking for run Cat 6 cable while the ceiling are down and I have access to the differant rooms etc. I seen this on adverts and just wondering if is up to spec. 100 meters will do for the runs that I require.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭rugrat69

cca crap stay away not copper copper. pay low pay twice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

rugrat69 wrote: »
    cca crap stay away not copper copper. pay low pay twice

If 100m is going to do all that is required => multiple short runs <= then there should be no problem with CCA cable.
    Pure copper would be required for longer runs.

In fact I see no advantage in Cat6 over Cat5e in such situations, but would be open to being persuaded otherwise. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

I appreciate your situation and with lots of works going on then trying to keep a tight budget is a priority, but ask yourself these questions before deciding what to spend on this particular job...

1. When is the next time you're going to have the ceilings dropped and have this type of access to all rooms etc.
    2. If you did try and buy cheap (and it didn't work out) what next?

..for the extra few quid I personally would buy the best I could, and future proof myself as best i could.
    Look I appreciate nothing is forever when it comes to this sort of technology.

Also try and think about other cable runs you may want:
    • CCTV
    • WIRELESS AP's

I completed a similar project couple of years ago and also ran different cable types (some are still redundant but at least i know they're there (eg) Shotgun coax to all rooms. Speaker cable etc etc.

again;when you have the ceilings down it makes sense and doesn't really add any major time to the job, expense yes, time no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Payton

Thanks for the input guys. Where would one buy good Cat6 cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I bought cable here
    http://www.freetv.ie/networking/

Use discount code ... boards

7.5% discount I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Payton

I'm thinking this would be ok to use. Or what would you use yourself
    http://www.freetv.ie/cat6-cable-100m/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

If 100m is going to do all that is required => multiple short runs <= then there should be no problem with CCA cable.
    Pure copper would be required for longer runs.

In fact I see no advantage in Cat6 over Cat5e in such situations, but would be open to being persuaded otherwise. ;)

Don't, it may handle gigabit Ethernet transfer but you definitely shouldn't use it for Power over Ethernet POE

Advertisement