Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

progress oats v quick oats

• 14-03-2017 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

I've been eating flahavans quick oats with apple and raisins and cinnamon (40g) for the last month or so and am enjoying it and using this as part of diet I've lost 6lbs.

However last week I noticed it had alot of excess sugar compared to regular flahavans progress oats.

So today I prepared regular porridge (40g) and added my own raisins (10g) and cinnamon (1/2 tsp). But using my fitness pal this actually has more calories.

Quick oats: 145kcal, 1.9g fat, 0.3g saturates, 7.8g sugars and <0.02g salt

My Recipe: 178 kcal, 2.3g fat, 0.4g saturates, 6.4g sugar (6g from raisins), and <0.01g salt

So basically what I'm asking is for more calories and fat with less sugar and salt is it work changing to preparing porridge night before and weighing scales etc or could I stick to quick oats and loose weight at same rate?

Sorry for long winded question...I just though diy would be alot healthier but looking at nut info of both I can't see alot of difference for the extra effort

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

The extra calories are because you have added 10g of food! You had a portion of 40g of quick oats, and now you have 40g oats + 10g raisins. So the extra 10g is accounting for the difference. 
    It's 33 calories in the difference, I wouldn't worry about it. What is your daily intake overall? 33kcal is probably almost negligible but it's excellent that you're paying this much attention to the quality of your food intake. It's good to try and accurately measure the calories you take in, but you'll almost never accurately calculate the calories out, so if you're that worried about 33 extra calories, I would walk up and down the stairs a few times or something.
    If you're worried about sugar, then you may also need to wean yourself off raisins, perhaps adding fresh fruit (20g of strawberries or 15g blueberries for example) would have less sugar I think (use MFP to verify this). 
    Also it depends on your own value and goals. Some people just focus on calories in vs calories out. Some people care a great deal about what those calories consist of. Whatever helps you to reach your goal and stay sane is the one you should go with. If you enjoy the sugary one and can still make progress, then why not keep it? I personally try to avoid as much sugar as possible so would opt for the second one, but if you think it's extra effort and not as nice, then is it the right option for you? 

Well done on the weight loss so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Progress oats are just a brand name for quick oats. The oats are the same. The added ingredients to he flavoured one are fairly basic.
    Wholegrain Porridge Oats (79%), Raisins (10%), Sugar, Dried Apple Pieces (2.5%), Cinnamon
    The sugar quantity isn't listed, but its easy to work out that its about 7.5%.

As mentioned above, your recipe was for 50g, compared with an 40g packet. So it's 25% more food. In your recipe, the % of oats didn't really change, you doubled the amount of raisins (20%). Which explains why sugars were almost as high.

If you want to make a version with less sugar, use more oats than and remove the added sugar. Something like 36g/4g plus some cinnamon. You'd probably be better making it in a big batch with 360g oats and 40g raisins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Mellor wrote: »
    Progress oats are just a brand name for quick oats. The oats are the same. The added ingredients to he flavoured one are fairly basic.
    I thought quick oats were more processed and cut smaller/ rolled thinner? Save a whole minute compared to cooking normal oats in the microwave?*

*I'm not advocating cooking oats in the microwave, before the porridge police get on my case!

Progress oats are just their brand name for rolled oats, as opposed to whole oats.
    Quick oats might be cut a bit finer, but they aren't processed in any other way. Nutritionally they are just oats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Regular rolled porridge oats are usually steamed. I guessed as well as being finger quick oats might be steamed at higher temps or for longer.

http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-steel-cut-rolled-and-instant-oats-138355
    Steel-Cut Oats
    Also referred to as Irish or Scottish oats, this variety is made when the whole groat is cut into several pieces, rather than rolled. Steel-cut oats look almost like rice that's been cut into pieces. This variety takes the longest to cook, and has a toothsome, chewy texture that retains much of its shape even after cooking.

In addition to being used for porridge, steel-cut oats can also be used to make meatloaf and savory congee (a nice alternative to rice), or add texture to stuffing.

Because of its toothsome texture, rolled or instant oats don't make a good substitute for steel-cut oats.

Rolled Oats
    Also called old-fashioned or whole oats, rolled oats look like flat, irregularly round, slightly textured discs. When processed, the whole grains of oats are first steamed to make them soft and pliable, then pressed to flatten them.

Rolled oats cook faster than steel-cut oats, absorb more liquid, and hold their shape relatively well during cooking. In addition to be heated for a warm breakfast bowl, rolled oats are commonly used in granola bars, cookies, muffins, and other baked goods.

Instant oats can be used in place of rolled oats, although the cook time will be much less, and the final dish will not have as much texture.

Instant Oats
    Also referred to as quick oats, instant oats are the most processed of the three oat varieties. They are pre-cooked, dried, and then rolled and pressed slightly thinner than rolled oats. They cook more quickly than steel-cut or rolled oats, but retain less of their texture, and often cook up mushy.

Rolled oats can be used in place of instant oats, although it will require more cook time, and the final dish will have more texture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Am I the only one who thinks fixating on such small details is unhelp? It's oats with a little fruit. Keep to roughly the same portion size and the differences are a rounding error.

Zillah wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks fixating on such small details is unhelp? It's oats with a little fruit. Keep to roughly the same portion size and the differences are a rounding error.
    That's pretty much the point everyone was making (imo at least).
    Both the homemade and premade version are oats plus fruit/sugar. Ratios are more or less thevsane so is not really any different.
    I'd be very happy if that was the worst part of my diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Thanks for your opinion people. I though the diy version should be healthier as it's less processed but going by ye there are more or less the same so went back to my single pack quick oats this morning as they are quicker, more convenient and taste nicer. Thanks again

Thanks for your opinion people. I though the diy version should be healthier as it's less processed but going by ye there are more or less the same so went back to my single pack quick oats this morning as they are quicker, more convenient and taste nicer. Thanks again
    It probably is marginally healthier because it's less processed, but in the scheme of things....

My main reason for looking for a swap would be cost tbh, as I'd imagine the pre made is more expensive.

Overnight oats with frozen berries may be another convenient option, particularly coming into the summer when a cold breakfast may hit the mark. I make mine with equal quantities of oats, milk, yogurt and frozen berries (I also add a scoop of whey).

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It probably is marginally healthier because it's less processed, but in the scheme of things....
    Processed in terms of being unhealthy refers to manufactured meats, tinned dinners, pot noodles etc. The "process" of chopping up the oats a bit finer doesn't make them any unhealthier.

I often often chop up rolled outs the the blender.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 117 ✭✭alig123aileen

Rather than add your own raisins etc make a granola topping for your porridge the taste is amazing. In a tray, mix rolled oats with coconut milk until wet and add your choice of (and lots of nuts) add honey or maple syrup if you want and cinnamon (I don't add honey/syrup because this adds to sugar content obviously) and place on low in an oven for about half an hour turning half way through. then add raising your choice of dried fruit dried raisins bananas mangos (LIDL/ALDI) and cook for another ten minutes. when cool store in a airtight container. the smell of this cookig is fab and at least you control the amount of sugar you add to it and its lovely crumbled over your porridge. Also great with natural yougurt when you had a yearning for something sweet. Well done on the weight loss and best of luck.

Mellor wrote: »
    Processed in terms of being unhealthy refers to manufactured meats, tinned dinners, pot noodles etc. The "process" of chopping up the oats a bit finer doesn't make them any unhealthier.

I often often chop up rolled outs the the blender.
    Was really getting at it all being packaged that there's possibly more preservatives, maybe added sugar and salt. Never really investigated "quick oats" so guessing, as I don't see the need given the cooking time differences between them and rolled oats (which I'd also regularly ninja in smoothies or for recipes)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭New Goat

I find its a lot easier to control portions using sachets. So if I need a small meal I might do that. Or use a scoop measure or very small bowl to control the portion of the regular oats.

Otherwise it's a massive bowl full to the brim. Not a bad thing provided your burning the energy...

The Kellogs coco pops porridge and crunchy nut cornflakes porridge sachets are actually quite nice.. Now whether they are healthy I don't know but sugar seems reasonably low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The coco pops porridge is 20% sugar. It's relatively low in the sachet cos there is so little in a sachet.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭New Goat

The coco pops porridge is 20% sugar. It's relatively low in the sachet cos there is so little in a sachet.

Because it is quite tasty I find a sachet of coco pops porridge (180 calories with 155milk which is more milk than it recommends) is a hell of a lot more satisfying than the equivalent calories in regular porridge, or even the equivalent triple amount of calories in regular porridge with milk and honey.

Thats not to say I don't make up for that low calorie amount in that particular serving by eating other food too.

Advertisement