Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best phone deal

• 14-03-2017 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭

Hi there, just wondering if anyone can offer me any advice. What do you find the best value mobile phone package is in the UK?

I have been here a number of years and have had a pay as you go O2 phone, which is more than adequate, especially as I have some type of international add on which gives me 1p calls to Irish landlines and 5p calls to mobiles.

However, since I have upgraded my phone to 4G the bloody thing is milking the data allowance, meaning I am consuming £20 / £25 per month. I really want to get it back down to £12-£15 if I can.

I have looked at o2 / Virgin / Talk mobile but their international calls are up on 60p per min, which is a no go really. I know I can call on whatsapp etc for free but the parents arent fully up to speed with that and the west of ireland coverage isnt the best!!
    Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Do you want to stick on pay and go or are you willing to switch to contract at all? If you are an existing BT customer their price plans are pretty competitive as you get £5/month off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

No i am easy as to whether I have PAYG or a Sim only bill / monthly contract.

Unfortunately I just cut my BT broadband out for Sky last month because they had a much better deal for me as a new customer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Pretty good deal here: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ee-simo-deal-20gb-4g-data-ultd-min-texts-plus-100-amazon-voucher-19-99pm-ee-total-2634840

For international calls I've always used Skype with a skypetogo number for my folks. You call a UK landline number which calls your designated Irish landline (i.e. your parents house). Pay by the minute (£0.018) or by the month (£2.42)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Thanks for that enda1. That deal sure looks impressive!

I wasn't aware of the skypetogo number thing, its a bit more faff than I would have liked to have done, but it looks like a good workable solution to what I need to do! Pretty sweet that you can set up 30 numbers too.
    If i set up 5 I would reckon I would be sorted!!

I assume the quality of the phone calls is ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

No problem prada. ;)

It's only faff to set up, not to use, but a lot less faff than changing phone operator! Using it is facile as you simply call the number as if it was your parents home number and that's it - the redirection is done automatically. So you tend to forget it is even in the middle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement