Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New EU regulations, how to plan ahead of them?

Options
  • 14-03-2017 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi all, due to the new restrictions coming in, especially with regards to the 10ml limit on e-juice, what are people’s plans?

Seems like it’s going to be very hard to avoid a huge cost increase.
    Are people planning on mixing their own juice? Can you order from outside of the EU legally? Do people have any other suggestions / ideas?

Maybe this thread can be used to share what legal options will be available to us.

I’m ordering gypsy juice 120ml bottles at euro20 a pop. I’m genuinely worried as to how to maintain a decent standard of high VG juice without massive cost increases.
    What are you all planning / thinking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Dr Bill V1.5

I've been mixing my own juice for the past 14 months or so and have been stocking up on 72%nicotine for the past 6 months or thereabouts. Currently I have enough to give me 9000ml of 3mg juice which is about 2 years vaping for me.
    The other base ingredients probably won't be affected to any great extent by the tpd and should be still available plentifully.
    The other unknown elephant in the kitchen is Brexit, this could also affect supplies coming in to Ireland and of course Customs will be a lot sharper when everything falls into place,so all in all it's a pretty bleak outlook at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Menoetius wrote: »

Hi all, due to the new restrictions coming in, especially with regards to the 10ml limit on e-juice, what are people’s plans?

Seems like it’s going to be very hard to avoid a huge cost increase.
    Are people planning on mixing their own juice? Can you order from outside of the EU legally? Do people have any other suggestions / ideas?

Maybe this thread can be used to share what legal options will be available to us.

I’m ordering gypsy juice 120ml bottles at euro20 a pop. I’m genuinely worried as to how to maintain a decent standard of high VG juice without massive cost increases.
    What are you all planning / thinking?

There shouldn't be much change in the hardware except for the max 2ml tanks & they have found the loophole for that,they supply a spare 5 or 10ml glass tank:D:D
    Eliquid should be ok in any size bottle as long as it doesn't have nicotine in it,you will have to buy,I think it's 10ml bottles of 20mg max of nic & mix it in with the bottles of eliquid yourself.
    Concentrates/PG/VG will still be available,I have freezed about 2 litres of 72 Nic & have a few litres of PG/VG,I am already mixing,so no big deal.
    I would recommend buying some Nic before May,no more bulk buying after May,except for the black market:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

Iv had it in my head it was march 20th lol guess i still have plenty of time to stock up.

I expect a lot of sales to sell off stock like RoV have started so i will prob stock up through various sales. I have done some mixing so i might invest in a bottle if nic but my understanding is that "shake'n'vape" will most likely become the norm to get around the regs.

Im wondering what shops plan to do tho, few vape shops around that just seem to be ignoring the fact that that date is getting very close and seem to have no intentions of trying to move along their current stock or still dont have any tdp compliant stock in. Can see a lot of closures in the coming months.

lankz92 wrote:
    Im wondering what shops plan to do tho, few vape shops around that just seem to be ignoring the fact that that date is getting very close and seem to have no intentions of trying to move along their current stock or still dont have any tdp compliant stock in. Can see a lot of closures in the coming months.

After the tpd comes into effect vendors will have a time period to get rid off all their current stock,some have begun that process already,others will probably wait and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

After the tpd comes into effect vendors will have a time period to get rid off all their current stock,some have begun that process already,others will probably wait and see what happens.

So the sell through period is still on? I thought that was ongoing since october/november and finished in march. Maybe iv just been reading it wrong the whole time haha

• Advertisement

lankz92 wrote: »
    So the sell through period is still on? I thought that was ongoing since october/november and finished in march. Maybe iv just been reading it wrong the whole time haha

https://www.getyourkix.com/pages/tpd-info

The cut-off appears to be May 19th 2017 for vendors to have their old stock gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭chipfox

I have 8 litres of 72mg/ml nicotine in a freezer. That's my preparation.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

https://www.getyourkix.com/pages/tpd-info

The cut-off appears to be May 19th 2017 for vendors to have their old stock gone.

Yes, Bill is correct! After May 20th anything not compliant will be binned.

As for all this doom and gloom crap, it's really stupid...
    The market isn't changing much, and prices will stay relatively the same.

10ML prices are coming in around 5 euros, with high of 6, Multipack's of 30ML and 60ML will retail just about the same also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

As for all this doom and gloom crap, it's really stupid...
    The market isn't changing much, and prices will stay relatively the same.

I'm interested in whatt way the DIY market will change for anyone new trying it, a lot of the people already doing DIY have stock piled .

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭chipfox

10ml for a 5er is criminal. You'd nearly be better taking up the fags to save money

• Advertisement

chipfox wrote: »
    10ml for a 5er is criminal. You'd nearly be better taking up the fags to save money

Excuse me but....How is that criminal?

I'm talking about "premium" UK & US lines.

The normal price for a 60ML up until very recently was €30, now they are averaging around €25.

So if you are buying single bottles, a 60ml will cost you on average for most lines €30, exactly the same as it was.

Multipacks will also be pretty much exactly the same, in most cases cheaper than buying the single bottles.

So what you are calling criminal was actually the norm for quite a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭nomnomnom

The normal price for a 60ML up until very recently was €30, now they are averaging around €25.

So if you are buying single bottles, a 60ml will cost you on average for most lines €30, exactly the same as it was.

Multipacks will also be pretty much exactly the same, in most cases cheaper than buying the single bottles.

Yep, also with a 60ml the manufacturer only had to pay for one bottle, one label etc. Add in the cost of not just TPD testing but the continual cost of testing and quality control, market information required by TPD (who is buying it, what age, what gender, what location etc) and the cost of paying the fee to each country you want to be able to import into plus the cost of having multiple labels in multiple languages and so on and so. To get a 10ml at a fiver will be OK, many will cost much more.

It's far from a perfect situation but it's really not all doom and gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭PraxisPete

If people are sub ohming which I'd guess a lot of people are now the price of liquid needs to come down or its likely to be just as expensive if not more expensive than smoking.

DIY is the only reason I'm still vaping. I'm stocked up on nicotine which should last me the guts of 8 years. Obviously new vapers are unlikely to jump straight in to DIY but spending €30 quid every few days isn't sustainable for most. The prices haven't come down enough to reflect the change in trends.

jonski wrote: »
    I'm interested in whatt way the DIY market will change for anyone new trying it, a lot of the people already doing DIY have stock piled .

Nothing will really change, darkstar are already doing an 18 x 10ml multipack, that's 180ml for of nic 15.99 pounds.

Now I understand the dilution ratio will change and it will end up being slightly more expensive, but the TPD isn't going to hinder anyone's access to nicotine or flavour bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭nomnomnom

PraxisPete wrote: »
    If people are sub ohming which I'd guess a lot of people are now the price of liquid needs to come down or its likely to be just as expensive if not more expensive than smoking.

DIY is the only reason I'm still vaping. I'm stocked up on nicotine which should last me the guts of 8 years. Obviously new vapers are unlikely to jump straight in to DIY but spending €30 quid every few days isn't sustainable for most. The prices haven't come down enough to reflect the change in trends.

Aye. Totally agree. If systems can be put into place to make the process easier, prices could drop but right now, especially for small to medium size manufacturers, it's very costly.
    What can happen is that over the next year or two the larger brands will be bought out by tobacco companies, with smaller companies becoming more 'local' brands.
    Eventually tobacco companies will buy everything and charge whatever the feck they like...
    We hope this won't happen so DIY and toppers are important but also supporting the vape companies who are being fair, ie fiver a 10ml and not 8euro a 10ml.
    But look this is just my opinion and may be incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

The TPD suits established vendors quite well and only those that have grown pre-TPD and have a war chest from their heavily overpriced and hyped juices will survive. The TPD creates a nice barrier to entry and will monopolise the market for them.

As for DIY there is always 10ml x 20mg so no worries right? Even the example of a 18 x 10ml multipack increases the cost 10 times - 1000 percent.

At the moment 1000ml of 72mg nic is £29.99 of Darkstar - equivalent to 3.6 litres of 20 mg liquid. At 20mg this makes 3600ml or 360 10ml bottles.

* In fairness you need into account the cost of 2.6 litres extra PG too and all 320 of those wee 10ml bottles in this... jeez this is even a win for the bottle makers. Pity the poor environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

So no more 100ml bottles for 15 euros. Thats a balls ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭london.irish

I have enough nic stored for a couple of years, which should be plenty to keep me going until the whole EU crap experiment breaks up, and people come to theur senses again, or I will just order from Nude in the USA and ship to the UK and parcel motel the last leg.

Advertisement