Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly line suggestions

• 14-03-2017 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

I have the pleasure to own a Greys 10' #3 nymphing fly rod, the action of which I find very easy to work with. I purchased it originally for river nymphing, however, increasingly I prefer to use it for lake fishing too. While WF #3 floating lines are easy to obtain I've only ever been able to find 1 or 2 WF 3# Intermediate or sinking lines and the quality of those are, well, not good. The intermediate seems to rely on water soakage while resting on the surface to provide it's sinking factor.

I wondered if anyone could recommend a decent intermediate and/or sinking line for this rod? I'm vaguely aware that I might well be able to use a #4 instead (the AFTM being based on all 30 yards being in the air I've been told) but I would have concerns that on a gusty day this might overload the rod? Opinions and suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Barrio lines. Great value and loved by many. If you message or email Mike he will give you a recommendation of which weight/line to go for.
    He's forum is fishingthefly.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Auldloon wrote: »
    Barrio lines. Great value and loved by many. If you message or email Mike he will give you a recommendation of which weight/line to go for.
    He's forum is fishingthefly.co.uk

I had looked at the Barrio site, they don't seem to do lines as light #3 but I'll mail him an enquiry to check if their #4 lines would be suitable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Take a look at rio aqualux 2 heard one of the boys on about them he is a river man but fishes lakes from time to time he uses the 3weight rod like yours not cheap but good quaility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Evac101 wrote: »
    I have the pleasure to own a Greys 10' #3 nymphing fly rod, the action of which I find very easy to work with. I purchased it originally for river nymphing, however, increasingly I prefer to use it for lake fishing too. While WF #3 floating lines are easy to obtain I've only ever been able to find 1 or 2 WF 3# Intermediate or sinking lines and the quality of those are, well, not good. The intermediate seems to rely on water soakage while resting on the surface to provide it's sinking factor.

I wondered if anyone could recommend a decent intermediate and/or sinking line for this rod? I'm vaguely aware that I might well be able to use a #4 instead (the AFTM being based on all 30 yards being in the air I've been told) but I would have concerns that on a gusty day this might overload the rod? Opinions and suggestions would be appreciated.

Barrio or rio gold for me both great lines I prefer Rio but barrio are cheaper, I would go for the barrio and save a bit of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 evilgannet

Rio are the best lines out there but as has been stated earlier they ain't cheap, Cortland do some decent lines as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Sent Mike in Barrio a mail asking whether he would recommend his WF4 Intermediate for use with my rod and within 20 minutes had received a response along the lines of "I wouldn't be worried about it if it were my rod", so come payday I'll pick one up from him I guess :) I've used his 5 and 7 weight lines for other rods in the past so I'm very happy with the quality/price balance of the Barrio lines :)

Advertisement