Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled to child support from parents divorce?

Options
  • 14-03-2017 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I'm fairly sure I'm not, but I'm wondering if I'm entitled to any of the child support (not the maintenance to my mother) that my dad paid her for me?

Basically I have no relationship with either of them. I haven't seen my dad since I was a teenager and lost touch with my mother this year. I'm 25 now, and just discovered my dad was paying my mother over €550 per month until I was 20, which she lied about as she said he stopped paying when I was 18. I wasn't living with her when I was 18 so I'm fairly sure she shouldn't have been keeping that money. Does anyone know am I entitled to the money she got from my dad for those 2 years (age 18-20)?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MamaBee92 wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure I'm not, but I'm wondering if I'm entitled to any of the child support (not the maintenance to my mother) that my dad paid her for me?

Basically I have no relationship with either of them. I haven't seen my dad since I was a teenager and lost touch with my mother this year. I'm 25 now, and just discovered my dad was paying my mother over €550 per month until I was 20, which she lied about as she said he stopped paying when I was 18. I wasn't living with her when I was 18 so I'm fairly sure she shouldn't have been keeping that money. Does anyone know am I entitled to the money she got from my dad for those 2 years (age 18-20)?

Short answer No.

Your mother would be entitled to it after 18 if you were in full time education etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MamaBee92

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Short answer No.

Your mother would be entitled to it after 18 if you were in full time education etc.

Thanks for that. Does it make any difference that she wasnt paying for my education? I was getting grants

• Administrators Posts: 14,034 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

It would be up to your dad to claim back money he had given that wasn't used to support you past the age of 18. Past 18 if you were no longer living at home, and your mother was not contributing in any way to your finances (was she contributing to rent, spending money, clothes, food?) you could have maybe come to an arrangement with your Dad to pay some money to you directly, if you needed it.

But at 25 you can't claim you needed money at 18 that wasn't given to you. Your dad on the other hand, if he so wished, could take your mother to court to get the money back from her. Probably not worth it though with legal costs and the likelihood of him not actually getting a penny from her in the end.

Move on, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MamaBee92

It would be up to your dad to claim back money he had given that wasn't used to support you past the age of 18. Past 18 if you were no longer living at home, and your mother was not contributing in any way to your finances you could have maybe come to an arrangement with your Dad to pay some money to you directly, if you needed it.

But at 25 you can't claim you needed money at 18 that wasn't given to you. Your dad on the other hand, if he so wished, could take your mother to court to get the money back from her. Probably not worth it though with legal costs and the likelihood of him not actually getting a penny from her in the end.

Move on, I'd say.

Was a long shot anyway, thanks for your help

Advertisement