Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kickboxing - Sore hips

Options
  • 14-03-2017 12:49pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I started kickboxing last week and I've found my hips, my right hip more so, does hurt somewhat after training. I haven't done any sparring, so it's mainly bag work. I'm wondering is there anything I should do, such as additional or specific stretching or evening weight training.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    I started kickboxing last week and I've found my hips, my right hip more so, does hurt somewhat after training. I haven't done any sparring, so it's mainly bag work. I'm wondering is there anything I should do, such as additional or specific stretching or evening weight training.

It probably means you are doing something technically wrong with your kicking or your stance.

It could be a need for more muscular strength or flexibility however its more likely to be technical. Talk to your instructor regarding this. He is in the best position to isolate the issue.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Thanks Ciaran for the advice. I'm back in Wednesday night, so I shall ask then.

Thanks Ciaran for the advice. I'm back in Wednesday night, so I shall ask then.

Let us know if you get useful feedback tonight.

If not come back here and ask for help finding a new club.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Let us know if you get useful feedback tonight.

If not come back here and ask for help finding a new club.

A new club? That's a bit OTT for a beginner who has a sore hip.

OP what muscle is it?
    It's not uncommon for people new to an activity to get aches and moany muscles.
    If your instructor can't help, I would definitely seek the advice of a physiotherapist for peace of mind.

No need to change clubs just yet!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

It was the glut and hip itself. We went through a range of stretching to alleviate the pain. It was much better tonight.

• Advertisement

It was the glut and hip itself. We went through a range of stretching to alleviate the pain. It was much better tonight.

Wonderful glad your instructor was able to help.
    yomchi wrote: »
    A new club? That's a bit OTT for a beginner who has a sore hip.
    It's a personal thing but basic movement shouldn't be sore unless there is an underlying condition but that wasn't mentioned. It's very easy to damage things and to do things wrong in a martial art. If an instructor wasn't able to say look you are doing this wrong and it's making things sore I personally would see it as either a sign there's an underlying condition or a sign the instructor doesn't know the anatomy of the techniques.

I should have mentioned technique and worked on it with the instructor myself. I have trained in martial arts before, so I should known better. I only ask in case there maybe other ways to alleviate it.

On saying that, there was no pain after training and since in was my 5th night back, I've become more aware of turning and pivoting on supporting legs with striking kicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

On saying that, there was no pain after training and since in was my 5th night back, I've become more aware of turning and pivoting on supporting legs with striking kicks.

Is it mainly the roundhouse kick?. In my experience most beginners have a problem with flexibility particularly on the roundhouse kick. If that's the case, and I'm assuming it is. Then pivoting on the ball of your supporting leg and turning that heel to face your target should sort out that problem.

I'd also suggest you start kicking low on the kick shield or bag and as your technique and flexibility improve so will the height of your kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's a personal thing but basic movement shouldn't be sore unless there is an underlying condition but that wasn't mentioned. It's very easy to damage things and to do things wrong in a martial art. If an instructor wasn't able to say look you are doing this wrong and it's making things sore I personally would see it as either a sign there's an underlying condition or a sign the instructor doesn't know the anatomy of the techniques.
    That's only really true if the beginner is starting with a normal level of mobility and flexibility. Which isn't going to be the case in a lot of the time.

In addition to that, somebody could be doing the moved perfectly, but due to a long period of inactivity, experience DOMS the next day. Perfectly normal response the first time doing anything.

Its a very big logical jump to assume the instructor is at fault imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Keep in mind that hip structure varies more than almost any other anatomical feature amongst our species - the study below is a good example of that. There are people who simply can't go through certain ranges of motion regardless of flexibility/mobility due to physical geometrical limitations.

http://njirm.pbworks.com/f/4femoral_neck_antiversion.pdf

• Advertisement

Thanks lads for the input. It is primarily my flexibility. I'm working on it with assistance of the instructor. It's been a while since I put in any proper training since I started last week. Turning on the ball of my foot helped and improving technique is paramount, but I need to work on my personal flexibility and core/physical strength.

I found that adequately stretching last Wednesday helped and alleviated pain, a lot to the extent where it wasn't an issue.

Thanks again for the input.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

Thanks lads for the input. It is primarily my flexibility. I'm working on it with assistance of the instructor. It's been a while since I put in any proper training since I started last week. Turning on the ball of my foot helped and improving technique is paramount, but I need to work on my personal flexibility and core/physical strength.

I found that adequately stretching last Wednesday helped and alleviated pain, a lot to the extent where it wasn't an issue.

Thanks again for the input.

Welcome back to the martial arts. Enjoy the journey and listen to your body ;)

Some great videos on youtube about hip mobility that may help. These days it's less about flexibility and more about mobility.

Best of luck.

yomchi wrote: »
    Welcome back to the martial arts. Enjoy the journey and listen to your body ;)

Some great videos on youtube about hip mobility that may help. These days it's less about flexibility and more about mobility.

Best of luck.

Thanks for yomchi, I shall be listening to the body and I never thought of using Youtube.

Advertisement