Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False or incorrect details given to Gardaí after an accident

Options
  • 14-03-2017 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I was looking for some feedback regarding the following.
    We were involved in an accident where we were rear ended. There was a significant injury so a claim has gone in for damages.
    WE have just received the assessors report from the other insurance company but there seems to be a discrepancy.

The insurance details that are on the assessors report and the details that were given to the Gardaí on the morning of the accident are different.
    the name is the same, but the policy number and the address are completely different.

Should I ring the Guard in question to inform him of this?
    Something is just not right here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

not unheard off. If it was a family car with a named driver for example, The person driving may claim off their own policy instead of the one attached to the car that was been driven.

Ie. I crash the wifes car who i'm a named driver on, but I can claim from my own policy instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭quintus

Skatedude wrote: »
    not unheard off. If it was a family car with a named driver for example, The person driving may claim off their own policy instead of the one attached to the car that was been driven.

Ie. I crash the wifes car who i'm a named driver on, but I can claim from my own policy instead.

There are three different addresses associated with this person. there is the address she gave the Garda just after the accident. There is this Non-existent address in Co Mayo that's at the top of the assessors report and then on the assessors report there is a third address where the car was viewed by the assessor.

One other thing the car that hit us from the rear was not assessed until 8 days after the accident. In the photos provided by the other persons insurance company the car looks immaculate. Clean, NO damage or marks on the bumper. This is not what it looked like after the accident. This is not consistent with the damage to the rear of our car. It has obviously been cleaned up. I would even go as far as to say the front bumper has been replaced In those 8 days with a second hand undamaged bumper.

What is Gardaí procedure when they arrive at the scene and the only witnesses are the drivers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Just ring your insurer and advise them of the discrepancy, they are trained to deal with shenanigans and its why we pay insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mrsbeebee

The car could be assessed at a work place and she could use a parents address for her policy. Once her insurer confirms she/they are accepting liability and that she/the car were covered there shouldn't be an issue. The gardai will only make sure that details are swapped at the scene of a straightforward fender bender like this. They may request she present her certificate of insurance at the station but most if the time don't. The car could have been repaired but an assessor will note that. I assume it's not mentioned? Odd if it's not mentioned and the damage is noticeably different. Are they disputing the level of impact?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭quintus

mrsbeebee wrote: »
    The car could be assessed at a work place and she could use a parents address for her policy. Once her insurer confirms she/they are accepting liability and that she/the car were covered there shouldn't be an issue. The gardai will only make sure that details are swapped at the scene of a straightforward fender bender like this. They may request she present her certificate of insurance at the station but most if the time don't. The car could have been repaired but an assessor will note that. I assume it's not mentioned? Odd if it's not mentioned and the damage is noticeably different. Are they disputing the level of impact?

Yes they are. But their insurance companies assessors report clearly states that their airbags deployed. With a little research I discovered that the airbags only deploy if the car impacts at 40 kpr ( It was likely going faster) and over, on that model of car. This alone disputes the claim that there was just a small impact. With this in mind the assessors photo shows a car that has a front bumper showing ZERO damage. It just doesn't add up. I'm suggesting that a replacement bumper, possibly second hand was put on the car in the lengthy period it took for the assessor to view the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Any chance you took photos of the damage to both cars, yourself, OP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mrsbeebee

Very odd that the airbags deployed and there is no bumper damage. You should be entitled to arrange for an engineer inspect the car yourself specifically asking if there are signs of recent repairs. I think you mentioned in another post that you had a solicitor representing you. You should get them to request this.

Advertisement