Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU licence switch for Irish document, insurer trying the scam?

Options
  • 14-03-2017 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just spoke to a friend who's exchanging his EU driving license for an Irish document; He's had this license for 18 years. The interesting fact, he's also renewing his insurance and the folks from the company told him that, once he has the new document, he should enter "less than a year" as the length of time he's had the license. This sounds utterly wrong to me - he's just changing documents, not resitting the exam or getting a new license; It's the very same one he sat his exam(s) nearly 20 years ago.

Is this common amongst insurers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just spoke to a friend who's exchanging his EU driving license for an Irish document; He's had this license for 18 years. The interesting fact, he's also renewing his insurance and the folks from the company told him that, once he has the new document, he should enter "less than a year" as the length of time he's had the license. This sounds utterly wrong to me - he's just changing documents, not resitting the exam or getting a new license; It's the very same one he sat his exam(s) nearly 20 years ago.

They just told him wrong. When asked how long have he had his licence he should answer 18 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Not necessarily. I've seen online quotes which ask; EU Licence, obtained in Ireland and EU Licence obtained elsewhere

I know we are all a cosy EU Republic, but someone whose driving experience was extensively obtained on Irish roads is distinct to a driver from another country, from a risk assessment point of view.

Fact that someone had Irish licence for X amount of years, doesn't mean that such person was getting experience on Irish roads.
    That person could have not even lived in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Hi guys,

I swapped my Irish licence for a UK licence a couple of years ago. Before I did, I made a point of asking the guy from the DVLA on the phone about the length of issue considered and was informed that it is seen as a continuation of the existing licence. Sure enough, upon receipt of the UK licence card, the original Irish issue date is printed on it. As far as any insurer is concerned, that's how long I've held my current licence, not when the DVLA issued me a UK licence.

That's the UK, but there will be agreements in place between varying EU nations as to which national licences constitutes a straight like-for-like swap and which contain additional criteria/restrictions, and then those that are simply not recognised. Check the fine-print for Irish licence swaps. It'll all come down to which nationalities Ireland recognises and/or accepts licence swaps for without having to go out and do a driving test for a newly minted Irish licence.

So at face value, the insurance representative was possibly misinformed.

CiniO wrote: »
    Fact that someone had Irish licence for X amount of years, doesn't mean that such person was getting experience on Irish roads.
    That person could have not even lived in Ireland.

There's more of a chance that a driver with an Irish EU Licence has experience on Irish roads, than someone with a licence issued elsewhere. That's all an insurer can go by. It's a rating factor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Surely they tell the insurer whatever is printed on the new license....

As they may have to send a copy in.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cogotazo

I know we are all a cosy EU Republic, but someone whose driving experience was extensively obtained on Irish roads is distinct to a driver from another country, from a risk assessment point of view.

Out of curiosity, how different is that risk you refer to from driving in another country, let's say for example, Italy?

cogotazo wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how different is that risk you refer to from driving in another country, let's say for example, Italy?

Driving customs, road conditions, courtesy from fellow motorists, markings, signage etc are different in every country. It is logical to assume that if your experience is in your native country, it is an advantage (less risk) than a foreign driver

• Registered Users Posts: 27 cogotazo

Sincerely, I don't see any of those conditions as special from any other country. I've been driving in Ireland, England, Scotland, Asia, USA, Spain, Italy, France... And never ever had a single problem with the local conditions. I'm sure you wouldn't have any problem either. I'm not a gifted driver.
    It is true that I'm a experienced driver (18 years with driving license, and driving most of the days) and for me it is, literally, an insult to have the same insurance price as a beginner (with all my respects, we all have been there).
    And that's what should be taken into consideration, the experience. What makes the difference.
    Just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

You have an EU licence, put down the date you were issued with it first. I.e, date you got a full EU licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Driving customs, road conditions, courtesy from fellow motorists, markings, signage etc are different in every country. It is logical to assume that if your experience is in your native country, it is an advantage (less risk) than a foreign driver

Based on personal experience (i.e. as passenger while my Irish-licence-holding family members and friends drive me around) I would rate just about any foreign driver as a better insurance risk ... :cool:

I had an Irish-issued licence, swapped it for a UK licence after adding a C entitlement, then to a French one to maintain same. In all cases, it's the date of my Irish test that's on the licence, and that's the only one that's ever mattered to any insurance company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Based on personal experience (i.e. as passenger while my Irish-licence-holding family members and friends drive me around) I would rate just about any foreign driver as a better insurance risk ... :cool:

I had an Irish-issued licence, swapped it for a UK licence after adding a C entitlement, then to a French one to maintain same. In all cases, it's the date of my Irish test that's on the licence, and that's the only one that's ever mattered to any insurance company.

I know for a fact this is incorrect.

The company I work for charge higher for EU licence holders.

An eu licence holder brought a discrimination case against them saying that the fact they charged more due to their licence was unlawful.

The case went before a hearing in the workplace relations commission.

We were able to provide proof, actual claims data etc that illustrated that statistically, EU licence holders that were on our books were involved in more accidents and claims than those that held Irish licences.

The case was thrown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Hi guys,

Happened to me with 123.ie

They gave me qoute for 800eu online, then I called them to seal the deal and it went up to 1500eu.
    I was like wtf?!
    So your man said that I switched my license to irish one from eu 5 years ago, they see me having license only for 5 years and not 12... ironically with 8ncb... I guess I got 3 ncb with no driving license at all.
    Even more stupid, I asked him to do a qoute if I would still had eu license and never shanged, jist for ****s and giggles. Well turned out I would go down to 1200eu...
    Insirance companies were the ones forcing us to swap to irish driving license and now they penalising us for it.

Haven't had any issies with othwe companies and when I mentioned what happened to some other companies even they went:wtf?!

I wonder how can licence change date be proved or ever checked by insurance company.
    I changed mine around May 2008, but I only know that because I have good memory to such things.
    I never got any documents stating the date I changed my licence from EU to Irish.
    It's not written on my licence anywhere.

I don't think licence swap date can be traced anyhow.

And if my insurance company asks me when I swapped it, I can always say I can't remember. In the end of the day, there's no obligation to remember things like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement