Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

efibre not "supporting" VPN

Options
  • 14-03-2017 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello,

We ordered Eir efibre for one of our remote site.
    All worked fine,internet access ok BUT any atempts in getting our Sonicwall vpn client to connect it has failed so far.

Found this link here:
    https://community.eir.ie/broadband-25/vpn-over-new-fibre-broadband-61272
    Can you confirm that on a business efibre broadband acount... you are blocking VPN traffic,please !?
    I dont expect you to "support" my internal VPN link but why or how is it blocked from your side ?l
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

I'm interested to know this also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

We changed the broadband supplier without any issues been under a business contract with Eir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭eir: Leanne

rolion wrote: »
    Hello,

We ordered Eir efibre for one of our remote site.
    All worked fine,internet access ok BUT any atempts in getting our Sonicwall vpn client to connect it has failed so far.

Found this link here:
    https://community.eir.ie/broadband-25/vpn-over-new-fibre-broadband-61272
    Can you confirm that on a business efibre broadband acount... you are blocking VPN traffic,please !?
    I dont expect you to "support" my internal VPN link but why or how is it blocked from your side ?l
    Thanks.
    Hi rolion,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. I'm afraid I would be unable to offer support on this at is it is an external issue. However, I can confirm that we do not block VPN traffic. 

I would recommend that you query this with your IT support for further assistance. 

Thanks, 
    Leanne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thanks.

I'm the IT support guy.

VPN works fine from same site AND same PCs  over 4G,from home,from college and if i'm paid i can demonstarte is working from a nice beach abroad ! :)
    Customer Service on the phone said traffic may be blocked from Eir.

There is a major difference betwee been "supported" and been "blocked" / "restricted" ! ??

Anyway,thanks,too late...

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

Hi rolion,

I do apologise we couldn't assist you further from here.

Thanks,
    Anna

• Advertisement

However, I can confirm that we do not block VPN traffic. 

Thanks, 
    Leanne.
    Good to know... thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

gerryk wrote: »
     However, I can confirm that we do not block VPN traffic. 

Thanks, 
    Leanne.
    Good to know... thanks
    No Problem gerryk,

I will be happy to forward this feedback on to Leanne.

-Anna

rolion wrote: »
    Thanks.

I'm the IT support guy.

VPN works fine from same site AND same PCs  over 4G,from home,from college and if i'm paid i can demonstarte is working from a nice beach abroad ! :)
    Customer Service on the phone said traffic may be blocked from Eir.

There is a major difference betwee been "supported" and been "blocked" / "restricted" ! ??

Anyway,thanks,too late...

Regards
    I'm curious what ports & protocols your VPN utilises, and what difference you are seeing between one modem and another.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Is it because of dslite or whatever? This is a problem on virgin but I hadn't heard of eir using it. 

Basically it's a gimped version of ipv6, and not all vpn software supports it. My company uses pulse secure and it works fine, other vpn products have problems tho. 

So, they may not be blocking vpn - but your software may not support the connection type.

Check to see if you have an ipv6 address.

Sorry for the bump but I believe the issue is down to the F1000 modem. Replacing it with the F2000 resolves the Sonicwall Global VPN issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

I could not get my VPN's working with the F1000 in bridge mode using a Zyxel ZyWall. Had a few software VPN's also I couldn't get to work. Was really frustrated with it. No support from eircom as they were at the time.

Had to put the F1000 back in routing mode and build the VPN using the F1000. Not ideal, but got me out of the **** at the time.

Advertisement