Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight Refund

Options
  • 14-03-2017 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

Due to an uncontrollable change in circumstances I can no longer travel on my long haul flight. I have contacted the airline and they have told me the fare is non refundable. I have been told by a friend however that I can claim back the tax on the ticket. Does anyone have any information on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

I think you can claim back the airport tax, but itd be quite a small amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ireland has no departures tax, unlikely most countries and hence this massively cuts the amount reclaimable. Airlines usually charge a fee to recover also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

some airlines will allow you to use the credit towards a flight to be taken within 1 year of original date but without details of airline and destination, it's hard to advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Do you have travel insurance? That might cover

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kulekat

Was your flight to the us? If so you can change your flight to a new destination thats also longhaul for a fee. You wouldnt get a refund of course but at least you could use the 'credit' that you already paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it possible they will allow you rebook at another date at a discount instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

You write to airline to request refund of taxes charged on your ticket and any fuel surcharges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭wandererz

I did it last week for 2 tickets booked via Aerlingus for flights with Aerlingus & BA. Dub-Lon-SA

Called up Aerlingus and gave them the details and within a few days was refunded €120 x 2.

Total price of original flights was €900+.
    So €240 back was better than nothing.
    They will have an admin charge for each leg though.

Advertisement