Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal PRSA

• 14-03-2017 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey guys,

Moved to a new job who do not offer a employer contributions so set up a PRSA.

I was told i could claim tax relief for this online via revenues website. Is this correct or do I have to wait until the end of the year to claim it back?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

Your employer should have a designated PRSA provider, and should have offered to deduct your contribution from your salary at source, giving you the tax relief immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PaddyOTG

Your employer should have a designated PRSA provider, and should have offered to deduct your contribution from your salary at source, giving you the tax relief immediately.

Thanks for your reply so to confirm if I do not go through my employer I will have to wait until the end of the year?

The issue is my pension provider advise I could log in to revenue to claim relief immediately. I was looking around and everything points to claiming it back at the end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Curious, can you link where it states the employer must provide a deduction from your salary.

I understood all they had to do was give you details of a pensions provider.

Curious, can you link where it states the employer must provide a deduction from your salary.

I understood all they had to do was give you details of a pensions provider.

They must facilitate deductions: http://www.pensionsauthority.ie/en/LifeCycle/Joining_a_plan/Employers_obligations_to_provide_access/

PaddyOTG wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply so to confirm if I do not go through my employer I will have to wait until the end of the year?

The issue is my pension provider advise I could log in to revenue to claim relief immediately. I was looking around and everything points to claiming it back at the end of the year.

I'm not sure, but my understanding is that you would have to wait until after year end when you can prove your annual income (and therefore calculate the correct tax relief).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm not sure, but my understanding is that you would have to wait until after year end when you can prove your annual income (and therefore calculate the correct tax relief).

...and show that you've actually made the contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PaddyOTG

Thanks for all the replies guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sibeen99

When I set up my PRSA I was provided with documentation to submit to revenue and the credits were applied immediately. No need to wait to claim it back. This was several years ago, not sure if it's changed since then.

Advertisement