Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Iphone Unlocked...but being told new SIM will lock it to that network??

Options
  • 14-03-2017 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭

I am arranging with Eir/ Emobile to unlock an old Iphone I had with them (a 6) that I upgraded to a 7.

Below is the reply:
    above IMEI is remotely unlocked using the apple software, in order for the phone to be unlocked completely it should be synced with the iTunes, please advise customer to follow the below steps
    1. Place the NEW SIM card of the new operator you wish to use into the iPhone.
    2. The iPhone will then 'Brick' (a security feature) and will require a connection to iTunes to perform a 'Customer Restore'. Please connect the iPhone with iTunes.
    3. iTunes will detect the IMEI of the device and search for updates (Note: This is normal and is performed every time the iPhone is connected to iTunes).
    4. iTunes will detect the new SIM card and that the 'Unlock Key' is available. It will then deploy the Unlock Key to the device.
    5. From here (still connected to iTunes), the iPhone will perform the standard un-brick process which includes:
    · Check for latest Software update
    · Perform a customer restore (SYNC)
    During this process, your iPhone will detect the SIM of a new network operator and iTunes will deploy the necessary 'Carrier Bundle' to the phone. This contains the correct settings for the new network operator, which also includes the operators' 'Network Lock'.
    'Network Lock' means that iPhone will then become locked to the new network.
    Once the syncing is complete, iPhone is now ready for use with another network operator.
    We would like to advise that if you need to unlock your iPhone again, you will need to contact the network operator the phone is now locked to. You can find this information by going to your iPhone Settings > General > About and beside 'Carrier' the network operator will be displayed.

My worry is the BOLD above. Its locks itself to the next network .... is that true???

Any work-around....???

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Despite being told 63 million times, they still feed people the same rubbish. No, it doesn't lock to the new provider. I've had at least 3 unlocked with no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

whiterebel wrote: »
    Despite being told 63 million times, they still feed people the same rubbish. No, it doesn't lock to the new provider. I've had at least 3 unlocked with no problem.

Yeah, absolute tripe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nonsense.
    It's a copy paste from the network.

It will be unlocked for future generations to enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

cool...... we'll work ahead and throw in a SIM and ignore the above then!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Masala wrote: »
    cool...... we'll work ahead and throw in a SIM and ignore the above then!!!

I got mine unlocked just a few days ago, and can confirm that it is working fine with both the original sim (Three) and the new one (Meteor) which I have swapped around several times in the past 48 hours to do speed tests on the two networks in various locations. It has not become locked to the Meteor network.

• Advertisement
Advertisement