Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Push scooters in cycle lanes question

Options
  • 14-03-2017 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

So I've been thinking of getting a push scooter to help me speed up my commute to work, mainly to get down the canal quicker than walking. However, my original intent was to use the cycle lane seeing as I've seen others use it, they seem to keep up ok, plus is by far the smoothest/best surface available!

With that said, are there any rules, laws, or just general 'social cycle/scooter best practice' that restricts use of the cycle lane? Don't want to go invest in one of these if I'll be stuck battling cars on bumpy streets for such a short commute, but at the same time not looking to break any rules (written or otherwise) of the road.

Did some reading around other sites and cycling blogs but couldn't find any official regulations.

Not sure if this is best placed in Cycling or Commuting, so apologies in advance if it needs to be moved.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What do you mean by a 'push scooter'? A motorised version of one of those yokes you stand on with one foot and push along with the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭blapabrew22

Exactly Eamonnator. Not motorized, although I wouldn't be against one, however figured it's cheaper to try the manual version first.

Would you not just get a second hand bicycle - it would be much quicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

A scooter? Good god, the indignity of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Would you not just get a second hand bicycle - it would be much quicker?

That sums up the difficulty with alternative forms of transport in busy cycling lanes. Their speed doesn't tend to match that of cyclists. Skaters are particularly problematic; not only are they a lot slower, but the side to side motion of skating makes overtaking difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Scooters are becoming more popular and are a pain when in the cycle track and always seem to hinder cyclists. Please note the name of the tarmac you plan to use contains the word 'cycle'. It's bit of a give away. Get yourself a cheap bike and you'll get to where you're going in a third the time of a push scooter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Please don't use your scooter on a cycle track. Had one of these on my route today, the path beside the cycle track was completely clear, the 'rider' or whatever you call scooter folks was going the same direction as me so couldn't see that I was coming up behind him, had to let a shout for him to move :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

... so couldn't see that I was coming up behind him, had to let a shout for him to move :rolleyes:
    Not the wisest thing to do as you could have startled him causing you both to collide. You say the path beside him was clear - why not use it to manoeuvre around?

• Advertisement

Not the wisest thing to do as you could have startled him causing you both to collide. You say the path beside him was clear - why not use it to manoeuvre around?

It's illegal for me to be on a footpath, I didn't wait until the last sec to let him know and I had slowed right down. How did I end up in the wrong here?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,537 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's illegal for me to be on a footpath, I didn't wait until the last sec to let him know and I had slowed right down. How did I end up in the wrong here?

As you we're keeping within the law, why did you ring your legally required bell?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Zen0 wrote: »
    That sums up the difficulty with alternative forms of transport in busy cycling lanes. Their speed doesn't tend to match that of cyclists. Skaters are particularly problematic; not only are they a lot slower, but the side to side motion of skating makes overtaking difficult.
    Scooters are becoming more popular and are a pain when in the cycle track and always seem to hinder cyclists. Please note the name of the tarmac you plan to use contains the word 'cycle'. It's bit of a give away. Get yourself a cheap bike and you'll get to where you're going in a third the time of a push scooter.
    Please don't use your scooter on a cycle track. Had one of these on my route today, the path beside the cycle track was completely clear, the 'rider' or whatever you call scooter folks was going the same direction as me so couldn't see that I was coming up behind him, had to let a shout for him to move :rolleyes:

I'd swear I've heard similar mouthed by motorists about cyclists. Interesting :confused:

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'd swear I've heard similar mouthed by motorists about cyclists. Interesting :confused:

Difference is that a cycle track is exclusively for cycling. Roads are for all traffic including bikes.

Difference is that a cycle track is exclusively for cycling. Roads are for all traffic including bikes.

Hmm not necessarily always the case to be honest.

Also lets be honest we have little to no specific cycle tracks over here it's basically always the road.

Hmm not necessarily always the case to be honest.

Also lets be honest we have little to no specific cycle tracks over here it's basically always the road.

:confused:

The OP was talking about the canal which is a cycle track.

:confused:

The OP was talking about the canal which is a cycle track.

Ah I thought he meant along the cycle lane on the road next to the canal.

I don't know the canal cycle track but if it were a bicycle only an no cars then i'd have no issue with a scooter on it. Buy a bell how many of them can there realistically be.

My original post about double standards is now even more apt imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Exactly Eamonnator. Not motorized, although I wouldn't be against one, however figured it's cheaper to try the manual version first.

And a motorised one would count as a vehicle that could never be road legal as far as I understand the law.

... How did I end up in the wrong here?
    I didn't say you were wrong - I said it wasn't the wisest thing to do. We are often required to adapt to the behaviours displayed by others for our safety and theirs.

ted1 wrote: »
    As you we're keeping within the law, why did you ring your legally required bell?

I have a road bike, bells are not a legal requirement on a racing bike but thanks for your input.

• Advertisement

.... bells are not a legal requirement on a racing bike....
    Only if travelling to or from a race! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I have a confession to make; since I got the cargo bike, which came with a bell, I now like bells. Mostly just for a mild advance warning to pedestrians or other cyclists coming around blind corners, and I don't regard them as anything even approaching essential (whatever the law says), but for the first time in many years, my bikes are now fully compliant with that particular dead-letter law.

EDIT: The terrible evidence in a terrible photograph:
    411879.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭SteM

Picked one of these up for my cyclocross that I use for my commute https://triggerbell.com.

It fits well on drop handlebars.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

SteM wrote: »
    Picked one of these up for my cyclocross that I use for my commute https://triggerbell.com.

It fits well on drop handlebars.

I've had two of these, both broke quickly. The first was replaced for free, when the second broke I gave up. The striker spring over extends and stops ringing. Neither lasted more than a 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My commuter has a bell. Shout is still the only real hope of being heard with headphones tbh.

If you want to use cycle lanes, don't even get a bike, get a proper scooter and you can use mandatory cycle lanes at your convenience in my experience....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My original post about double standards is now even more apt imo.
    It's not really. Never seen it argued that cyclists are entitled, safe or should use motorways, which would have more equivalence imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Only if travelling to or from a race! ;)

Not quite ;)

93. (1) Every pedal cycle (other than a cycle constructed or adapted for use as a racing cycle) while used in a public place shall be fitted with an audible warning device consisting of a bell capable of being heard at a reasonable distance, and no other type of audible warning instrument shall be fitted to a pedal cycle while used in a public place.

So more to do with construction than usage at the time of being checked.

cython wrote: »
    Not quite ;)...
    I'm pretty sure a Boardsie posted a link a while back showing more updated legislation regarding going to or travelling from a race.

(Prior to that I had presumed it wasn't required on a 'racing' bike).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I'm pretty sure a Boardsie posted a link a while back showing more updated legislation regarding going to or travelling from a race.

(Prior to that I had presumed it wasn't required on a 'racing' bike).

Out there... it's *all* a race!

Advertisement