Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Push scooters in cycle lanes question

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Chuchote, the Dutch Bike Shop in Goatstown might have a bell loud enough for you. They have a wide range there. The Dutch Ding Dong bell is pretty loud, as far as I recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Parents. You see families going along, and the child on the bike has a helmet and the child on the scooter doesn't.

Ah. I see though you meant on this thread.

You come off a scooter pretty suddenly too, not time to lift the hands and protect the head. Seen some nasty falls off scooters. Its like a skateboard.

Yeah, I see a kid fall off a scooter about once a week as I travel around (maybe a bit less than that). I think they're more popular than bikes right now though, so that might partially account for the high number of falls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Chuchote, the Dutch Bike Shop in Goatstown might have a bell loud enough for you. They have a wide range there. The Dutch Ding Dong bell is pretty loud, as far as I recall.

Thanks, tomasrojo. I got one of those in Amsterdam, but it actually wasn't that good - the 'ding-dong' effect doesn't resonate in the unconscious as ":eek: bicycle :eek:" (And when my bike fell down it cracked; made of some kind of light aluminium spongy stuff, as I found when I picked up the pieces.)

What I'm looking for is the old-fashioned steel brrring-brrring kind.

Chuchote wrote: »
    Thanks, tomasrojo. I got one of those in Amsterdam, but it actually wasn't that good - the 'ding-dong' effect doesn't resonate in the unconscious as ":eek: bicycle :eek:" (And when my bike fell down it cracked; made of some kind of light aluminium spongy stuff, as I found when I picked up the pieces.)

What I'm looking for is the old-fashioned steel brrring-brrring kind.
    Classic Brass Bell?
    http://www.aviewfromthecyclepath.com/2010/11/testing-and-recording-bicycle-bells.html

Recordings and dB comparisons there too, as well as links to an online shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Classic Brass Bell?
    http://www.aviewfromthecyclepath.com/2010/11/testing-and-recording-bicycle-bells.html

Recordings and dB comparisons there too, as well as links to an online shop.

Got one for my birthday. Lovely, but ting-ting, not brrring-brrring!

Nice site!

I actually got a more brrringy one than I'd had, but it weighs as much as the bike (slight exaggeration).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

beauf wrote: »
    Who thinks they are safer?
    I do. Intuitively it makes sense for the reasons described below, and I highly doubt there's any data to suggest otherwise. A push scooter is one of the most simple inventions to use in terms of balance and speed, and takes up very little space when in operation.
    Yeah, I see a kid fall off a scooter about once a week as I travel around (maybe a bit less than that). I think they're more popular than bikes right now though, so that might partially account for the high number of falls.
    If you took a similar sample of kids who ride bicycles, I'm sure the rate of falls would be the same, if not higher. Bicycles are bigger, more difficult to balance at lower speeds, and more dangerous to pedestrians in terms of damage they can incur.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If you took a similar sample of kids who ride bicycles, I'm sure the rate of falls would be the same, if not higher. Bicycles are bigger, more difficult to balance at lower speeds, and more dangerous to pedestrians in terms of damage they can incur.

My n=5 of my own kids and nieces/nephews, scooters seem to incur a far higher rate of falls. This said for either, no head injuries, just knee grazes and bruised hips. All children survived any accidents and most were mobile again within 5 minutes.

I should have made clear that this doesn't mean I think scooters are dangerous (or bikes). As CramCycle says, the injuries are usually trivial anyway.

Advertisement