Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swapping 9 speed cassette for 10 speed

Options
  • 14-03-2017 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

I am going to swap out a 9 speed Sora groupset for a 10 speed 105 which is 2nd hand but seen very little use. Will the cassette fit straight on to the existing hub or will I need a new one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I am going to swap out a 9 speed Sora groupset for a 10 speed 105 which is 2nd hand but seen very little use. Will the cassette fit straight on to the existing hub or will I need a new one?

What kind of wheel? Is there a spacer on the existing cassette? If so this would suggest it will take a 10 speed cassette

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Pinch Flat wrote:
    What kind of wheel? Is there a spacer on the existing cassette? If so this would suggest it will take a 10 speed cassette

It's a stock Bontrager wheel that came with the bike (Trek 1.2). It doesn't look like there is a spacer on the existing cassette.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

It's a stock Bontrager wheel that came with the bike (Trek 1.2). It doesn't look like there is a spacer on the existing cassette.

Do you have the tools / know how to pop off the existing cassette? No spacer would suggest it would only take a 9 speed, although a lot of newer bikes should take 10 speed at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Pinch Flat wrote:
    Do you have the tools / know how to pop off the existing cassette? No spacer would suggest it would only take a 9 speed, although a lot of newer bikes should take 10 speed at least.

Unfortunately I don't have the tools to pop it off. I guess I'll have to check with the Lbs although as you say if there is no spacer it would suggest it won't take the 10 speed. Does that mean a wheel rebuild with a new hub then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

If it has a 9 speed on it now then it will take a 10 speed, freehub sizes didn't change from 9-10 speed, gaps on cassette just became narrower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭tonytiger81

10spd may well fit because, as mentioned above, the cassette is narrower. I bought some cosmic elites about 2 years ago and fitted a 9spd ultegra cassette that did not need spacers though a spacer was provided for fitting 10 spd cassettes. So your wheels might be ok as 10 spd chains/cassettes are narrower vs 9 spds

Advertisement