Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

17 year old mare

Options
  • 14-03-2017 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I have just looked at a nice 17 year old mare with a view to replacing a horse the young lad had. We just happened to call without warning to a place and the seller was most accommodating and rode the horse and let the young lad ride for20 mins also. He needs a 16/2 as this is. Very calm and able to jump ..he happyenough with it. I asked if she had passport she has. I asked when did the vet last call. Over 12 months ago I was told. We have been invited to come back 2/3/4 times and ride away to be sure we are happy. The present owner has the horse for the last 9 years and the owner of the yard for the previous 8.
    I have to say that I found the owner very open and honest. She said she warms him up a bit ....and then rides her ....with no issues. The young lad rode him and was quite happy....The owner wants to be sure the horse goes to a good home...

Now! is 17 too old for basic inter yard competitions (nothing major just basic jumping from time to time) Is the fact that she is a mare and comes into season every so often a bar to a steady horse ...she hacks ok.. so I'm told...I'm just a bit concerned about the age. I will of course get a vet to do a full check... The horse was very solid and clam when we were there..1500 e is the price sought but is negotiable .....I think this may be a bit on the high side.....I'm just looking for any advice that experienced riders may be able to give me a bit of guidance or things to look out for please ..will be calling again in couple of days to ride her again... thanks Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

17 is old for some horses, and some horses still act young. Some horses only come into their prime in their mid teens. How did she feel? Did she ride like an old horse? I ride a pony in his late teens who has more energy than many 4 year olds. Now with age, you may need more supplements when feeding such as oils and they may need a bit longer to warm up and cool down, even in active horses. Just a few things to bare in mind.

I wouldn't worry about her coming into season. Mares are all different, and although there's a risk she sours when in heat, it wouldn't put me off buying a mare.

Prices of horses are rapidly going up again. A steady, allrounder horse would be worth €1500. Have a look at Done Deal for similar horses, doing similar levels of riding for a gauge of what you should expect to pay for her, knowing what she can and can't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

That's a fantastic reply as I know your experienced in horses. I agree with all you say ...Seller did say she warms her up a bit due to her age ..I was mostly concerned about the being in season thing ..
    Thks a mill...I actually took a couple of videos ..I can't upload them here unfortunately ..Thks.

just someone mentioned to me ..if a horse has spent most of his life in the one stables/livery yard , do you think there would be issue with moving her to a new stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭isaos

just someone mentioned to me ..if a horse has spent most of his life in the one stables/livery yard , do you think there would be issue with moving her to a new stable.

I don't think there would be an issue, as long as she feels comfortable and you feed her the same way at least for a few days.

Regarding her age, I agree with everything that was said earlier, but I would still try finding a younger ride unless you are prepared to deal with her becoming really too old - which is going to happen soon enough. You will end having to decide whether to keep her home until she passes away, or to send her to the factory.. tough.
    Some 17 yo horses can still be seen eventing, this being said!
    Good luck!

Ideally a leasing would be ideal for this year as exams are not too far into the future...But unfortunately it's very hard to get a horse to lease or loan around Enfield /kilcock area where we live ...Advice appreciated thks all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Lucy21

All horses take a while to settle into their new surroundings and can behave differently when they first arrive - but once settled in it will be like they were always there. Always give a new horse time to settle in and be understanding don't rush things and everything will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lyoness

isaos wrote: »
    I don't think there would be an issue, as long as she feels comfortable and you feed her the same way at least for a few days.

Regarding her age, I agree with everything that was said earlier, but I would still try finding a younger ride unless you are prepared to deal with her becoming really too old - which is going to happen soon enough. You will end having to decide whether to keep her home until she passes away, or to send her to the factory.. tough.
    Some 17 yo horses can still be seen eventing, this being said!
    Good luck!

Factory? That's where you send the older horse? Thanks for all those years but your off to the factory now

Can/will you support the horse in retirement OP? As it will be sooner than later. Makes me wonder why someone is offloading an older horse. Because they don't want to support them in retirement.

lyoness wrote:
    Factory? That's where you send the older horse? Thanks for all those years but your off to the factory now

To be fair, it's an option and not the only thing the poster you quoted mentioned. The horse can either be sent to be used for other things, or burnt. Neither of them are particularly pleasant but you can't bury a horse in your field anymore.
    lyoness wrote:
    Can/will you support the horse in retirement OP? As it will be sooner than later. Makes me wonder why someone is offloading an older horse. Because they don't want to support them in retirement.

Or they no longer suit their needs and would go to waste. Or they are selling up completely. Or it's not that they don't want to support them in retirement but can't, and would rather sell them with a few years of active riding in them than try and sell them with none. The horse could have a decade of riding yet.

sup_dude wrote: »
    To be fair, it's an option and not the only thing the poster you quoted mentioned. The horse can either be sent to be used for other things, or burnt. Neither of them are particularly pleasant but you can't bury a horse in your field anymore.

Or they no longer suit their needs and would go to waste. Or they are selling up completely. Or it's not that they don't want to support them in retirement but can't, and would rather sell them with a few years of active riding in them than try and sell them with none. The horse could have a decade of riding yet.

I am not talking about the disposal of the horse rather sending them to the factory to be killed. If Pts is to be done why would you subject the horse to it in the factory? After years of service to you. And sorry but someone selling an older horse is relieving themselves of their responsibility to the animal. If still has riding left then loan or share not sell.

• Advertisement

Wow this post has taken on a life of its own. The seller is a lady who you can see loves the horse. She kept him since she got a replacment as she wanted her to go to a happy home and a caring owner. She now has an 18 year old that she rides in competitions etc. All I am interested is really is getting a calm horse ..That is safe for my kid. That the horse is healthy and can jump at interyard competitions.. I will be getting the vet to check him. As an aside she wasnt actively trying to sell her ...The owner of the place was the previous owner and was happy to have the horse around. We were only passing the place and just rang on spec. For for we want presently it's seem ideal. Having said that I won't be taking it if the vet says she has health issues of any serious sort. The horse was last seen by a vet 12 months ago. It has a passport and it's up to date with all vaccines. In relation to its retirement I havent overly thought of that. I certainly wouldn't be in the financial position to fund it's retirement ...It's a horse for a child that loves horses and likes riding.
    Thats it. its ideal for what it's required for. It seems to have been A very well cared horse ...And has been in competitions most of its life.
    I would never send any animal to the factory ...I would when the day came either sell it on...If suitable or see if I could get it rehomed where it would be cared for.

I would when the day came either sell it on...If suitable or see if I could get it rehomed where it would be cared for.

look Paddy no one will want to buy an older horse off you once you have finished with it as it will be well in it's 20's by then. If you are not in a position to care for it until its natural end (Death) then perhaps this horse is not for you.

Buy a younger well schooled horse for your child, or if schooling is required prepare to invest time/money in getting it schooled correctly and at least that way you will get a lot of years from it and if child gets bored in the meantime you will still have an option to sell it on with many years of riding in it yet.

lyoness wrote: »

LOL... I would never and have never considered that for any of my horses, dating back 50 years... i was just making a point to the initiator of this thread that you have to consider what is ahead when you buy an older horse. Sadly everyone cannot or will not give them a retirement plan...
    Honestly Lyoness, you should read the whole story before sending this kind of reply...

Just keep in mind that the cost of maintaining a horse is the same whether young or old, good or bad. The actual cost of buying a horse is nothing compared to maintenance..
    If your young fellow wants to ride a bit more or compete at higher level - it could happen fast enough! - he might not be able to do so if the horse is too old to take it. Think of the years ahead.. and of the eventuality of broken hearts and broken dreams..
    An older horse is always difficult to rehome, not everybody will offer suitable retirement. When you see how difficult it is for us human beings.. :D
    The easy and cheaper option is not necessarily this one..

isaos wrote: »
    LOL... I would never and have never considered that for any of my horses, dating back 50 years... i was just making a point to the initiator of this thread that you have to consider what is ahead when you buy an older horse. Sadly everyone cannot or will not give them a retirement plan...
    Honestly Lyoness, you should read the whole story before sending this kind of reply...

Ok fair enough just saw factory and saw red! I am the owner of an older horse :)

Lucy21 wrote:
    look Paddy no one will want to buy an older horse off you once you have finished with it as it will be well in it's 20's by then. If you are not in a position to care for it until its natural end (Death) then perhaps this horse is not for you.

To be honest OP, although I was advocating buying the horse based on what you have given before, if you intend to sell it after a few years, Lucy is right, it will be very difficult to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

If you cannot support the horse for the rest of its life and intend to sell in a few years I would advise against buying it. You will find a horse in its 20s very hard to sell.

How is a parent who supports his teenage childs wish to involve themselves in horse riding ...which has very beneficial effects for the teenager.... suppose to be able to support an animal(whatever age) for the rest of its life ? I would have thought that my own personal responsibility to do my best to ensure that the horse is best cared for ....When it's use as regards horse riding is finished ...Is sufficient. I.e. I ensure to the best of my ability... to try re home it or get it into a horse charity or whatever ..If I had a dog and was unable to provide for it I wouldn't be off to the factory ..I would try and look after it as best I could to ensure it lived it life as best it could same as a horse to the end of its natural life...

How is a parent who supports his teenage childs wish to involve themselves in horse riding ...which has very beneficial effects for the teenager.... suppose to be able to support an animal(whatever age) for the rest of its life ? I would have thought that my own personal responsibility to do my best to ensure that the horse is best cared for ....When it's use as regards horse riding is finished ...Is sufficient. I.e. I ensure to the best of my ability... to try re home it or get it into a horse charity or whatever ..If I had a dog and was unable to provide for it I wouldn't be off to the factory ..I would try and look after it as best I could to ensure it lived it life as best it could same as a horse to the end of its natural life...

The thing is though, the best of your ability may not be good enough, and charities are under enough pressure that they probably won't take a horse unless it's at risk. It wouldn't be fair on them. Selling a horse in their twenties is very difficult. It would be a very specific market and not one that has a big demand. It may be that you can't get rid of the horse. Have you thought about what you could do in that case?

Selling horses is not easy at the best of times. Believe me. We have one fantastic little pony who is going completely to waste as I'm nearly 6ft and we just can't get a buyer for her. I have no idea why, there's nothing wrong with her in any way. It's just one of them things. But she has a home regardless until she gets another home.

It's one of the things of buying and selling on horses OP, and something any dealer or young horse trainer will tell you. Sometimes you just can't shift on a horse, even when there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, and you have to be prepared to deal with that.

A 17 year old horse in itself is not too old. In fact, it seems a pretty good age for a young child moving onto horses and not doing huge competition as you need something that's been there and done that, but still has a few years left in it. However, they aren't ideal for moving on again afterwards. You may be lucky and the right person just happens to come along, but it's very unlikely and there's a good chance that your best effort won't actually work and you will then be left with a horse you can't afford. Even if you buy a younger horse, there's a risk you won't be able to sell it if needs be and it's probably best not to buy a horse at all if you can't afford to keep it.

To answer your question OP, I'll tell you a secret. I have never owned a horse. I can't afford one and never could. What I did was got myself into a yard, and I was eventually given sole responsibility for horses and ponies. There's three at the current moment that I decide what they eat, who rides them if anyone (bar the owners), if they get clipped, what way they get clipped, when and if they compete, what tack they wear, if they go out to the field for the night or stay in etc. There's one pony and I don't even have to consult the owner over any decisions regarding him. I essentially have ownership over them without the financial burden. As a result, the owners have a perfectly rideable horse to get on whenever they want, and they can go off and do whatever they want to do. Maybe something like that might suit better?

It's like any animal..cat..dog. You take it on and care for it for the rest of its life or if you can't arrange to do the decent thing and that is not giving it to a horse charity. I have an older horse she will be cared for as long as she needs to be cared for. Whatever she needs vet etc will be done because she is my responsibility. I think a loan or share would suit you more to be honest. Then the future of the horse is still the owners responsibility

• Advertisement

Absolutely agree with all the comments. In an ideal world a loan share or lease ( which I am also actively trying to get /not very successfully) would be better but in the absence of that ...I want my kid to enjoy his teenage years ..It's difficult..Thks for taking time to reply.

.When it's use as regards horse riding is finished ...Is sufficient. I.e. I ensure to the best of my ability... to try re home it or get it into a horse charity or whatever ..If I had a dog and was unable to provide for it I wouldn't be off to the factory .

Honestly I am maddened by this comment. Why would you think it's ok to dispose of a horse by giving it to a charity when your done riding with it. That's not how it works.. Charities are there for the abandoned mistreated animals not the end of usefulness horse.

I don't think you should buy any horse. You sound like you don't have the appropriate funds to look after it regardless of any eventuality.... For instance say you buy a horse and it becomes unrideable for a period of time due to illness. What would you do. What would your son do say if he couldn't ride his horse for 6 months.... 9 months... Etc. Would you be happy to pump money into it while it recovers.

I am an owner of a 25 year old Mare who is ridden daily but in a gentle easy way fit and becoming for her age. And when she doesn't want to be ridden anymore she will still get the same 5 star treatment she has gotten all her life from me. Top quality feed and supplements, oils, farrier, grooming and Clipping, extensive turnout, rugs, etc.. Because to me she's just not an animal that is there to be ridden into the ground and dumped off onto the next person.... She is part of our family and a faithful friend.

So don't buy a horse if your not prepared to see it go through good times and tough times. As you said if you had a dog it wouldn't be off to the factory.... Well the same applies to horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Ok, things have got a little heated in this thread. I'm going to close it briefly while I get a chance to read through it properly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement