Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Online Supplier for Laptop

Options
  • 14-03-2017 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭

Buying a Laptop for my Daughter later this month. Looking for suggestions in regards to suppliers.

Budget is around €800 with a little bit of wriggle room :)

Hoping to get a reliable option with 256 SSD and Full HD Screen.

Any comments welcomed

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Macker1 wrote: »
    Buying a Laptop for my Daughter later this month. Looking for suggestions in regards to suppliers.

Budget is around €800 with a little bit of wriggle room :)

Hoping to get a reliable option with 256 SSD and Full HD Screen.

Any comments welcomed

Thanks

Had a bad experience with laptopsdirect.ie recently so wouldn't recommend them even though they've competitive pricing. I'd recommend a unit with removable battery if it is an option as it makes replacement a possibility in the event of failure and it seems a fair number of reliability issues on laptops surround power. Also check independent reviews on how good the sellers after care service is and avoid anyone in any way sketchy. Same goes for the laptop itself, where certain high spec low cost options seem to have a very high failure rate when you start searching. Look for long term reviews if available.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

I bought my wife this one a few months back.
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/lenovo-ideapad-510s-14-laptop-silver/332176/396.0.0

It's not bad but the screen backlight died so we had to get it serviced (for free under warranty). I found there weren't a lot of options for reasonably priced laptops with and SSD, even though SSDs are pretty cheap at this point. With Dell I think you have to be spending 1500+ to get a laptop with an SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Luck100 wrote: »
    Dell I think you have to be spending 1500+ to get a laptop with an SSD.
    Dell literally have an option on their site :pac:
    How much storage do you need?
    [ ] 500GB
    [ ] 1TB+
    [x] I want a solid state drive
    http://www.dell.com/ie/p/laptops?c=ie&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn#!facets=70205~0~462573&p=1

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Yeah, they must have added that after I bought. Only the XPS thin and light ones had an SSD option at the time. Too bad because I really would have preferred a Dell over the Lenovo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Macker1

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Dell literally have an option on their site

Are Dell Laptops decent quality.....

Bargains to be had buying from Outlet. Are refurbished laptops like new????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Refurbished should be like new. Buy 3 or 4 of the same laptop and pick the best out of them and return the others. It's often not until you have 3 or 4 identical laptops side by side that you notice the worst and best of the bunch.

In the end I went with the following model from Dell.

http://www.dell.com/ie/p/inspiron-15-5578-2-in-1-laptop/pd?oc=cn53801&model_id=inspiron-15-5578-2-in-1-laptop

Nice Laptop with decent specs at a reasonable price

Advertised as €849 but completed deal online with their chat support and got a reduced price of €748

Happy enough and daughter will be delighted with her 21st present. :)

Advertisement