Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Social life/ drinking culture at Trinity College Dublin?

• 14-03-2017 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I'm from England and have applied to study at TCD (on a gap year so already have my grades but feeling like they won't be enough for the points this year lol fml).  I was just wondering if TCD is considered a social uni and if clubbing is common?  In the UK freshers week is known for drinking and going to clubs, and that's deffo what I'm looking for.  Haven't been accepted or applied for accommodation yet but if I did I assume I'd be in Trinity Hall (no idea if I'd be the modern or older building), which looks quite good for community atmosphere, especially the bits with flats of 6 people.
    I feel like I'm going to get accepted to UCD because I have the points for the course I applied to there, but have been researching and it seems to be known as a 'commuter's school', and doesn't feel like the traditional uni experience :/

Comments

efemel wrote: »
    Hi, I'm from England and have applied to study at TCD (on a gap year so already have my grades but feeling like they won't be enough for the points this year lol fml).  I was just wondering if TCD is considered a social uni and if clubbing is common?  In the UK freshers week is known for drinking and going to clubs, and that's deffo what I'm looking for.  Haven't been accepted or applied for accommodation yet but if I did I assume I'd be in Trinity Hall (no idea if I'd be the modern or older building), which looks quite good for community atmosphere, especially the bits with flats of 6 people.
    I feel like I'm going to get accepted to UCD because I have the points for the course I applied to there, but have been researching and it seems to be known as a 'commuter's school', and doesn't feel like the traditional uni experience :/
    Dublin is tiny, all its universities have a healthy nightlife scene you'll be fine!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 efemel

Dublin is tiny, all its universities have a healthy nightlife scene you'll be fine!!

Ah thank you!!  Just a bit worried because I watched a Q + A of a girl at UCD on youtube, and she said she wish she'd been told it was a commuter school as she found herself suffering from a lot of loneliness. 
    She seemed like a quite a charasmatic/ confident person as well, so that scared me because I'm quite shy around new people, which is why I rely on blending into a group and having a few drinks until I get to know individuals more and I'm more comfortable to be myself.  Also - having a solid friend group in uni to explore the city with would just be nice haha!

efemel wrote: »
    Ah thank you!!  Just a bit worried because I watched a Q + A of a girl at UCD on youtube, and she said she wish she'd been told it was a commuter school as she found herself suffering from a lot of loneliness. 
    She seemed like a quite a charasmatic/ confident person as well, so that scared me because I'm quite shy around new people, which is why I rely on blending into a group and having a few drinks until I get to know individuals more and I'm more comfortable to be myself.  Also - having a solid friend group in uni to explore the city with would just be nice haha!

I didn't go to UCD but it's only about 20 minutes from the city centre by bus so it's not like you'd be isolated! Try get involved in societies etc if you're worried about not making friends because depending on what course in UCD you choose there may be hundreds of people on your course and it can be difficult to make friends. But definitely UCD students party as much as anyone else!

Advertisement