Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry or Geography for Leaving Cert?

Options
  • 15-03-2017 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I'm picking Physics and Economics. What should be my last subject? Chemistry or Geography? I like them both. I like learning essays and I like the topics learned in Chemistry. Which one is more useful? I want to do engineering or computer science when I finish school (Hopefully)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Chemistry - you may not mind learning essays at Junior Cert level but when you have a gazillion 20, 30 and 80 markers to learn for Geography you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

naxmax9 wrote: »
    I'm picking Physics and Economics. What should be my last subject? Chemistry or Geography? I like them both. I like learning essays and I like the topics learned in Chemistry. Which one is more useful? I want to do engineering or computer science when I finish school (Hopefully)

I would say chemistry. From what I know about DCU's General entry engineering course you do a bit of chemistry before dividing into specific streams of chemistry eg. biomedical engineering, mechanical engineering and electronic engineering. I'd say it's like that as well in other colleges where they have a general entry engineering course because you'd have to cover the basics.
    I just chose my subjects a few weeks ago and am in TY myself. I chose chemistry because of the different pathways it opens up.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Ya go with chemistry, nice experiments, relatively short syllabus (22 chapters) and no project involved. Plus it's interesting stuff. There's a bit of maths involved though, I remember my chemistry teacher telling me that although not 100% necessary, it helps if you got a C or better in HL Maths in the JC.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daretodream

Ya go with chemistry, nice experiments, relatively short syllabus (22 chapters) and no project involved. Plus it's interesting stuff. There's a bit of maths involved though, I remember my chemistry teacher telling me that although not 100% necessary, it helps if you got a C or better in HL Maths in the JC.

So pleased to read this. I picked German/Physics/Applied Maths/Accounting and as AP is an extra subject had to pick another so chose Chemistry over Geography. Relieved at all the positive comments over Chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DogBun

Seeing as you're leaning more towards sciences for third level, I'd recommend chemistry.

Particularly if you end up doing engineering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement