Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The itch for a bike

• 15-03-2017 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi all ,
    OK so I have decided to go into the biking scene. Always something I have wanted to do but never got around to it.
    So I have applied for my theory , and once I get that I will head to the ndls. I know I have to do an ibt also.
    So I'm going to start looking for a bike. Any suggestions ? I was thinking a bandit 600 or along them lines ? Or can I go bigger again and get it restricted ? I'm not sure of any of this.
    Also what's the story with insurance ? Can I get insurance before the ibt so i can do it on my own bike ?
    All info much appreciated.
    Cheers guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

insurance will limit you on your first bike, best bet is to ring someone like principal once you have your IBT done and ask them for quotes on 3-4 different bikes and you'll know from then what you can go for

Assuming you're over 24 you can just get one of the normal starter bikes, fazer, hornet, bandit etc.

you'll have a fair idea after your IBT what bike you want.

You shouldn't do the IBT on your own bike, do it on a school bike. You'd have a bad time buying a bike without having ever sat on one not being able to test ride it to see if its ok

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Egan2012

insurance will limit you on your first bike, best bet is to ring someone like principal once you have your IBT done and ask them for quotes on 3-4 different bikes and you'll know from then what you can go for

Assuming you're over 24 you can just get one of the normal starter bikes, fazer, hornet, bandit etc.

you'll have a fair idea after your IBT what bike you want.

You shouldn't do the IBT on your own bike, do it on a school bike. You'd have a bad time buying a bike without having ever sat on one not being able to test ride it to see if its ok

Thanks for that ,
    I'm 33 years old so it's helps not to have full blown restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Egan2012 wrote: »
    Hi all ,
    OK so I have decided to go into the biking scene. Always something I have wanted to do but never got around to it.
    So I have applied for my theory , and once I get that I will head to the ndls. I know I have to do an ibt also.
    So I'm going to start looking for a bike. Any suggestions ? I was thinking a bandit 600 or along them lines ? Or can I go bigger again and get it restricted ? I'm not sure of any of this.
    Also what's the story with insurance ? Can I get insurance before the ibt so i can do it on my own bike ?
    All info much appreciated.
    Cheers guys.

I got my bike last summer 35, bought an sv650, really nice for learning, the engine breaking on it is reassuring. Insurance was 230 tpft with principle. I did my ibt on y own bike and forwarded the cert when I got it. Im sorry i waited so long to get a bike and its a rush and so much fun. Dont skimp on gear seems to be the universal message though!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Egan2012

cadete wrote: »
    I got my bike last summer 35, bought an sv650, really nice for learning, the engine breaking on it is reassuring. Insurance was 230 tpft with principle. I did my ibt on y own bike and forwarded the cert when I got it. Im sorry i waited so long to get a bike and its a rush and so much fun. Dont skimp on gear seems to be the universal message though!

Thanks for that. I was thinking along the lines of a bandit or sv650.

Advertisement