Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very late Solicitors fees

Options
  • 15-03-2017 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I recently received a letter from the solicitor's office who dealt with the sale of our old house and purchase and build of our current house.It claims that on a recheck of our file in their office an amount of around €700 is outstanding. This was in the year 2001 - 2002. Another amount is outstanding of around €400 in relation to a remortgage we did in 2008.
    In relation to the two bits of business there were fees paid but these amounts appear to have been overlooked by this office. My query is - have the solicitors the right after 15 years and 9 years respectively to now come looking for a bill that clearly should have been included in the fees paid at the time of concluding each bit of business? to me it appears to be unreasonable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

You would have to wonder what was going on in that office to cause them to go thru accounts from 15 years ago.
    It does seem very unreasonable.
    Legally I dont know if you are still liable though, or if there is a real bill to pay. I would be inclined to tell them to get lost and see if they want to pursue it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭samsx

I agree Winterlong, its a bit much to now expect 'additional' payment. I believe the amounts arose as the solicitor dealing with these files was retiring last year but significant monies were paid at the time for business conducted. Ive no problem telling them to get lost but really don't want them to then decide to chase me for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

The Statute of Limitations for contract matters is 6 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

OP just ignore, my guess is they know they cant force payment but are hoping some people will (assuming it affect more than you)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

You could contact the Law Society of Ireland about the solicitor's actions. As solicitors, they would be fully aware that the contract has exceeded its limitations, and this kind of behavior could be deemed unacceptable. It would probably be worth letting them know and seeing what they have to say anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

You could contact the Law Society of Ireland about the solicitor's actions. As solicitors, they would be fully aware that the contract has exceeded its limitations, and this kind of behavior could be deemed unacceptable. It would probably be worth letting them know and seeing what they have to say anyway.
    The Statute of Limitations does not preclude a person asking for payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Agreed. Unless OP is misleading us (which I don't think likely) I think the chances of enforcement are nil.

The point I was making was in response to stronglikebull's suggestion that there was something wrong in which the Law Society might take an interest.

Advertisement