Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bryan Keane

Options
  • 15-03-2017 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I saw on social media this morning that Bryan has announced his retirement from triathlon. A hugely impressive athlete with great fight and determination. Coming back from his horrific accident to qualify for the Olympics was hugely impressive. I guess at 36 another Olympic cycle wasn't going to happen.

Any insights in to what he'll do next?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

He was in bike racing in Boyne GP on Sunday. Gavin Noble also did a lot of bike racing in 2013 (year after London).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I believe the statement also said he has retired from international competition, I would hope to still see him active on a national level?

Best of luck to him on whatever he decides, some serious commitment and talent to get back to the Olympics after a horrific accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

pgibbo wrote: »
    I saw on social media this morning that Bryan has announced his retirement from triathlon. A hugely impressive athlete with great fight and determination. Coming back from his horrific accident to qualify for the Olympics was hugely impressive. I guess at 36 another Olympic cycle wasn't going to happen.

Any insights in to what he'll do next?

i guess before his accident he would have become a top 70.3 athlete. Unfortunately after the accident he never got to that bike level
    again .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

He was saying at a club talk recently that he might not compete any more in tri. Olympics being the height of the sport, time to move into something new. Like how he moved from bike to tri, now tri to...?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

I gather he is training with some of the guys from A1 Coaching from their podcast/videos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Grassey wrote: »
    He was saying at a club talk recently that he might not compete any more in tri. Olympics being the height of the sport, time to move into something new.  Like how he moved from bike to tri, now tri to...?
    adventure racing like the rest of us!! :D :D 
    I know a team who would happily take him for 72 hours in August...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I see there is a Bryan Keane listed as starting for Aqua Blue in Ras Mumhan in 2 weeks. Is it safe to assume it's the Bryan Keane we're talking about here?

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/start-list-kerry-group-ras-mumhan-185-riders-ready-for-battle/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Seen him out and about around Dublin a few times over the winter on his 'cross bike in full Aquablue kit so I wouldn't be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Warming up on the Paris Roubaix sportive yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I assume he'll be doing the Rás also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Has been doing a bit of cycle training with the lads from A1 coaching recently. Is on the Aqua blue Irish team so reckon he will concentrate on that for a while.

Advertisement