Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alfine 8 speed - OK for hills?

Options
  • 15-03-2017 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I'm tempted by a Cube Hyde Race City Bike 2017 with an 8 speed Alfine hub to use for commuting in and out of Dublin city centre. However, the ride home involves the lower part of Stocking Lane, up as far as the first roundabout at the nursing home. Is the gearing on the Alfine hub suitable for this without killing me :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

The overall range of the Shimano 8-speed hubs is 307%, and the steps in gears are a bit uneven:

Ratio 0.527 0.644 0.748 0.851 1.000 1.223 1.419 1.615
    Step 22.3% 16.0% 13.9% 17.5% 22.3% 16.0% 13.9%

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nexus8.shtml

Calculate your current gear range for comparison here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

beazee wrote: »
    The overall range of the Shimano 8-speed hubs is 307%, and the steps in gears are a bit uneven:

Ratio 0.527 0.644 0.748 0.851 1.000 1.223 1.419 1.615
    Step 22.3% 16.0% 13.9% 17.5% 22.3% 16.0% 13.9%

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nexus8.shtml

Calculate your current gear range for comparison here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

Thanks Beazee, it'd help if I knew how to interpret these numbers :eek:

My current bike is a Specialized Sirrus Pro 2012 with a SRAM Apex, 10-speed, 11-32t cassette and FSA Omega compact 50/344 crankset. I know the Alfine hub will have bigger steps between gears given that I currently have a 20 speed, but will the overall range be similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

quenching wrote: »
    Thanks Beazee, it'd help if I knew how to interpret these numbers :eek:

My current bike is a Specialized Sirrus Pro 2012 with a SRAM Apex, 10-speed, 11-32t cassette and FSA Omega compact 50/344 crankset. I know the Alfine hub will have bigger steps between gears given that I currently have a 20 speed, but will the overall range be similar?

The range on your current bike is very large, 427 %. So the alfine won't match that but what really matters is the lowest gear. How often do you use the top gears on your commute? As an experiment, do your whole commute in the small chain ring.

Remember you can shift all the gears up or down on a hub gear by buying a different sized sprocket.

The range on your current bike is very large, 427 %. So the alfine won't match that but what really matters is the lowest gear. How often do you use the top gears on your commute? As an experiment, do your whole commute in the small chain ring.

Remember you can shift all the gears up or down on a hub gear by buying a different sized sprocket.

Thanks, and thats the trouble with hills, low gears needed for up and high for down. But you make a good point, I'll try the commute in both directions using the small chainring and see how it goes. Cube also sell an 11 speed Alfine hub bike, the Editor, but I'd imagine its not much different, just smaller steps between gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

quenching wrote: »
    Thanks, and thats the trouble with hills, low gears needed for up and high for down. But you make a good point, I'll try the commute in both directions using the small chainring and see how it goes. Cube also sell an 11 speed Alfine hub bike, the Editor, but I'd imagine its not much different, just smaller steps between gears.

No, the 11 speed has quite a bit more range, 409 %. This is much bigger than the range on most double chainring setups - your current bike has a massive range really with such a wide cassette and compact double chainset.

• Advertisement

No, the 11 speed has quite a bit more range, 409 %. This is much bigger than the range on most double chainring setups - your current bike has a massive range really with such a wide cassette and compact double chainset.

Good to know, I'll aim for an 11 speed. Many thanks for your advice, its very much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I cycled up Howth Hill on a 25kg+ cargo bike and a 30kg child in it with an Alfine 8. You'll be fine on hills.

Does that count as a humble brag or just a brag?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Only if your front ring was 53t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Alfine 8 with 38T ring and 18t sprocket will have low gear equivalent to 34/30 on a road bike. Which should be plenty for Stocking lane:

http://gear-calculator.com/?GR=SNI8&KB=38&RZ=18&UF=2185&TF=90&SL=2.6&UN=KMH&GR2=DERS&KB2=34,50&RZ2=12,13,14,15,17,19,21,24,27,30&UF2=2185

Advertisement