Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hydrogenated Oil

Options
  • 15-03-2017 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

Saw a Peanut butter in my local supermarket called Resse and it contained Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil. Wondering the law on this type of processed oil in ingredients now? I thought America banned any food products with this oil maybe not? Its negative effects on health is widely documented now lesser so with Palm oil. https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=292894630

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This tesco soup has it
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=252971040

this hersheys thing has partially hdyrogenated

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=286638482

When I search on tesco most products are saying "no hydrogenated veg oil", so all this would suggest it is legal.

I would have wondered more about the genetically modified stuff.
    Ingredients

Peanuts (89%) Sugar*, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Rapeseed, Cottonseed and Soybean* Oils), Salt, Peanut Oil (1%), Molasses*, Emulsifier: E471, Cornstarch*, *Produced from Genetically Modified Sugar, Corn and Soya Beans

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

It is a difficult area of food labelling and not always understood. Hydrogenation is not a huge issue health wise - TFAs come about due to partial hydrogenation of vegetable oil (in order to keep saturated fatty acid levels down - you generally do not get this issue with full hydrogenation). Full or partial hydrogenation must be labelled.

A lot (but not all) of the issues with palm oil are either overstated, or would not change at all due to substitution to another oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

It is a difficult area of food labelling and not always understood. Hydrogenation is not a huge issue health wise - TFAs come about due to partial hydrogenation of vegetable oil (in order to keep saturated fatty acid levels down - you generally do not get this issue with full hydrogenation). Full or partial hydrogenation must be labelled.

A lot (but not all) of the issues with palm oil are either overstated, or would not change at all due to substitution to another oil.

A cursory web search will list grave health concerns about (partially and fully ) hydrogenated oil.

A big difficulty with labelling is that the consumer cannot be confident that products which include hydrogenated oil are labelled accordingly.

As for palm oil; regardless of the topic of it's possible health concerns the huge increase in palm oil plantations has led to terrible environmental destruction - the loss of forest and habitat, usually by burning. I'd say that a good enough reason to avoid it when possible.

Advertisement