Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

re-cycling tank

Options
  • 15-03-2017 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I have a Nano tank that previously held Minnows. They died a couple of weeks ago and I'm planning on stocking the tank with shrimp next. Since the minnows died I've been adding small bits of fish food to the tank to keep it right but should I start the cycling process over again for the shrimp and get new filter material or just test the water and go from there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Kar_M

Hi,
    Any ideas why the minnows died? If you think their might be a little nasty something living in the filter I would get new media and start from scratch, but that is just me.

If you think it might be a water parameter/equipment issue I'd be inclined to keep adding a little bit of flake and keeping monitoring Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH and temp (maybe check gh/kh...just in case something funky happened with your supply). Oh, I would also check that all testing solutions are in date and have not expired

If you think it might be none of those things maybe get 1 or 2 shrimp and see how they get on?

That would be my train of thought...but maybe others on here have better ideas

Good luck!

Advertisement