Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hartmanns

Options
  • 15-03-2017 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Travelling down this weekend to look at an engagement ring in Hartmanns Galway

Ive been told by people i can haggle the price , which is something i wouldnt be used to doing

before i go into the store , is this the type of place i can haggle?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

You should be able to haggle in any independent business, especially with high-value items.

It's mostly in the chains you're less likely to have success as the staff don't have authority or the "computer says no".

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

MS291988 wrote: »

Ive been told by people i can haggle the price , which is something i wouldnt be used to doing

thanks

Absolutely you can haggle, be very clear on what you're purchasing (the 4 Cs)
    I would recommend blue nile. Pick a style you like and order it from blue nile. Will be half the price with very high quality diamonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

thanks
    Maybe.
    But I wouldn't bring the fiancee, if you're planning on haggling.
    Could be the shortest engagement in history.

Don't reveal your budget from the start. "I've €4k to spend on a ring, can I see your selection..."). Start around the lower end of what you expect to pay and move up from there. If you see one you like, ask what's the best price (followed by a pained expression...). ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭MS291988

Maybe.
    But I wouldn't bring the fiancee, if you're planning on haggling.
    Could be the shortest engagement in history.

haha as i said i wouldnt be one to haggle just was given advice , she wont be there and i think ill be spending enough to be keeping her happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

haha as i said i wouldnt be one to haggle just was given advice , she wont be there and i think ill be spending enough to be keeping her happy

Oh make sure she picks it or at least that you know exactly what she wants if she's not there!

Id much rather marry a good haggler than have a ring I was only so so about.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭MS291988

Oh make sure she picks it or at least that you know exactly what she wants if she's not there!

Id much rather marry a good haggler than have a ring I was only so so about.

she picked out the ring years ago and ive bene keepin an eye on it since

Well definitely don't let them know you're already set on a specific ring!

Also, hi to everyone in Hartmanns reading this. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

she picked out the ring years ago and ive bene keepin an eye on it since

Well that is just lovely!
    I really hope that they give you a good deal! If not take photos and see if you can get it recreated elsewhere. A lot of people seem to be doing that and are happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

You should also consider a diamond dealer rather than a high street jewellers. You can get a lot more bang for your buck. It's a lot of money so do a bit of research.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

I bought my now wife's engagement ring off a diamond dealer in Antwerp just over two years ago. I got it valued when I got back to Galway for insurance purposes in one of the main jewellers and they came back with a valuation of 2 and a half times more than what I paid for it.

Much better value to be had abroad in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭thebackbar

Ludikrus wrote: »
    You should also consider a diamond dealer rather than a high street jewellers. You can get a lot more bang for your buck. It's a lot of money so do a bit of research.
    Also worth inquiring about the guarantee that will come with the ring! i.e. if a stone falls out of the ring sixteen months after you buying it will they replace the stone or will they expect you to pay for it!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 stabiloboss25

When it comes to jewellery or anything of high value, I think it's safe to haggle. Most family run businesses will negotiate prices but for high street or franchise jewellers, forget about it.

Advertisement