Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Trainee August 2017 intake

• 15-03-2017 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

Might as well get this one heated up seen as the offers have come out on the other thread.

This is mainly just for chat and questions I imagine.

Some common questions from the other thread...

What are the intakes for 2017?

August and November

What stage do you get called to station to meet super / sergeant?

You can meet them at any stage after the interview

Is meeting them part of vetting?

Meeting the sergeant and super is part of the vetting process.

Can I defer?

Yes, but you need a good reason! Heading away for two weeks is not one. Also be aware, you are not guaranteed a place after deferring.

OOM, Order Of Merit

Seemingly this looks to be done quite oddly, the only one you 'see' is the one from PAS, but once handed to AGS, you are placed into an OOM with them based on all campaigns from 15' and 16'. From reading on here, I would take your OOM with a pinch of salt and go with which stages you've completed first then go back to your OOM to see how you stack up.

Do you pay for meals in the college

Set meals by the college, NO you don't pay. Things like snacks, soft drinks ,beer etc.. you will have to pay for down there. There's a shop and pub on site. A Lidl up the road and your about a 10 min walk outside of the town, there's a pub across the road also.

I rang the appointments office and was told x, but x on here said something different?

The truth is, HRM nor anyone on here really knows. You'll always get different answers from who you speak to in HRM or on here, again just try stay sane and when you get an offer believe that, until then believe nothing, unless its a PCT date or Medical date!

I am entering the college with a degree, what happens now?

Nothing during training or probation unfortunately for you. Once you complete probation, fortunately you'll jump three points on the pay scale.

Garda Trainee Information Day?

This is a day or open day to run you over the PCT exam in a training mode so to speak, you do the course/machine once, up to level 4 on beep and as many push ups or sit-ups as you like on the day.

You don't need to attend nor do you need an invitation to go an open day

It's up to you if you want to go, but if it's not to far out for you or putting you out I would say it's good to go get a feel for the place, get a feel for the college etc..

I have everything done now, what happens now?

Your full application will go to the commissioner, who will decide to approve or decline your application.

Ok that's all for now. I may add more in.

Hope this helps ! :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Persieway11

great advise above I'm early oom 800s January 16 campaign everything fine and advised last week vetting still outstanding so that was may gone down drain but here hoping for Aug 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 7 giggsey

Hi TallGlass,

Great Summary - but can you clarify about not guaranteed a place after deferring.

>Can I defer?
    >Yes, but you need a good reason! Heading away for two weeks is not one. Also be aware, you are not guaranteed a place after deferring.

I'm Sept 2016 campaign, waiting for physical.
    If all goes well, say I'm accepted for Nov Intake.....I'll be in final year college then. Could I choose to deter place until I finish degree. Agree to start in the Aug 2018 intake - would I be guaranteed place in that scenario?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭BobbyDaisy

I'll park myself in here I highly doubt I'll receive an offer next week roll on August haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

s
    giggsey wrote: »
    Hi TallGlass,

Great Summary - but can you clarify about not guaranteed a place after deferring.

>Can I defer?
    >Yes, but you need a good reason! Heading away for two weeks is not one. Also be aware, you are not guaranteed a place after deferring.

I'm Sept 2016 campaign, waiting for physical.
    If all goes well, say I'm accepted for Nov Intake.....I'll be in final year college then. Could I choose to deter place until I finish degree. Agree to start in the Aug 2018 intake - would I be guaranteed place in that scenario?

Thanks.

Seemingly thats what your advised by HRM. It imagine it's just to cover themselves if something comes up. You can double check with them, again as mentioned also. Don't take anything as set in stone until you've signed the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

TallGlass wrote: »
    Might as well get this one heated up seen as the offers have come out on the other thread.

This is mainly just for chat and questions I imagine.

Some common questions from the other thread...

What are the intakes for 2017?

August and November

What stage do you get called to station to meet super / sergeant?

You can meet them at any stage after the interview

Is meeting them part of vetting?

Meeting the sergeant and super is part of the vetting process.

Can I defer?

Yes, but you need a good reason! Heading away for two weeks is not one. Also be aware, you are not guaranteed a place after deferring.

OOM, Order Of Merit

Seemingly this looks to be done quite oddly, the only one you 'see' is the one from PAS, but once handed to AGS, you are placed into an OOM with them based on all campaigns from 15' and 16'. From reading on here, I would take your OOM with a pinch of salt and go with which stages you've completed first then go back to your OOM to see how you stack up.

Do you pay for meals in the college

Set meals by the college, NO you don't pay. Things like snacks, soft drinks ,beer etc.. you will have to pay for down there. There's a shop and pub on site. A Lidl up the road and your about a 10 min walk outside of the town, there's a pub across the road also.

I rang the appointments office and was told x, but x on here said something different?

The truth is, HRM nor anyone on here really knows. You'll always get different answers from who you speak to in HRM or on here, again just try stay sane and when you get an offer believe that, until then believe nothing, unless its a PCT date or Medical date!

I am entering the college with a degree, what happens now?

Nothing during training or probation unfortunately for you. Once you complete probation, fortunately you'll jump three points on the pay scale.

Garda Trainee Information Day?

This is a day or open day to run you over the PCT exam in a training mode so to speak, you do the course/machine once, up to level 4 on beep and as many push ups or sit-ups as you like on the day.

You don't need to attend nor do you need an invitation to go an open day

It's up to you if you want to go, but if it's not to far out for you or putting you out I would say it's good to go get a feel for the place, get a feel for the college etc..

I have everything done now, what happens now?

Your full application will go to the commissioner, who will decide to approve or decline your application.

Ok that's all for now. I may add more in.

Hope this helps ! :cool:
    Thanks for taking the time to do this, great idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Great advice TallGlass. Thanks for doing that. I'm hoping for August myself! Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭ArifI

well put and best of luck to everyone for August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Good idea for a thread although November is my most realistic intake hope
    Good luck all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Fair play very informative post. Still hoping on a May offer myself 🙈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

I'll throw my hat in the ring but happy enough with November.

Oom ~200

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Gnr_Iver

Best of luck lads with the vetting issues, I hope ye get an offer soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Persieway11

Gnr_Iver wrote: »
    Best of luck lads with the vetting issues, I hope ye get an offer soon :)

thanks hopefully I'll make August if vetting comes through the very best of luck for u in may delighted for u 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Gnr_Iver

thanks hopefully I'll make August if vetting comes through the very best of luck for u in may delighted for u 😀

Cheers bud :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Gerrard2121

Hi everyone. I've been waiting almost 2 months for a physical date and still nothing. Everything else is done and vetting cleared. If I pass my physical in the next month or so should I nearly be guaranteed a place in august as I will have no outstanding stages left?

Hi everyone. I've been waiting almost 2 months for a physical date and still nothing. Everything else is done and vetting cleared. If I pass my physical in the next month or so should I nearly be guaranteed a place in august as I will have no outstanding stages left?

There are no guarantees so don't make any major decisions on that basis.

But if if your oom is sufficiently low enough then you have a good chance to be called, again nobody can really tell you much more than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

I d ring them up and ask if there are any slots available for you to take at short notice worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wax100

Here's hoping for August!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 cjgblm

Top 100 OOM from sept everything done with 5 weeks just waiting on vetting and all but 1 of my family live in the same town as me so hopeing it shouldn't take much longer , hoping for August in the back of my mind was hoping for May but knew it wasn't fully realistic , nice to have the summer to myself I suppose only way to keep sane with all the waiting is to keep busy ha

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭DE1991

Only did my medical last week, had done my interview early december and in low 100's.. PAS were very slow at passing my name on to guards dunno what the hold up was! I know its a speculative question, but considering the stage im at and i lived abroad for a year so vetting may take longer, anyone any opinion on whether August is realistic for me? (Obviously providing i pass the physical and super interview)

DE1991 wrote: »
    Only did my medical last week, had done my interview early december and in low 100's.. PAS were very slow at passing my name on to guards dunno what the hold up was! I know its a speculative question, but considering the stage im at and i lived abroad for a year so vetting may take longer, anyone any opinion on whether August is realistic for me? (Obviously providing i pass the physical and super interview)

Really hard to tell I think once you get to that stage it all really depends on who's desk you file ends up on from reading older forums over the past few intakes and some from before the freeze there doesn't seem to be any garuntee based on OOM just the highest OOMs who's files are complete the day offers go out
    (Hard to tell , nobody can say ect. Are gonna be the most popular sentences on this forum I think 😂)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kielmanator

Was vaguely hoping for May myself but reading the May Class thread I would say that has bummed out.

Anyone else in here for April 4th PCT? And how are ye set for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭DE1991

What was anyone asked when they met the sergeant?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭IrelandDylan

Everything done since February for the Sept 2016 campaign, hopefully called in August now! Be a long few months

Everything done since February for the Sept 2016 campaign, hopefully called in August now! Be a long few months

Only PCT to do myself, oom of ~200 so hoping desperately for august.

I'm literally counting down the days.
    102 days until July first and we'll hopefully know by then.
    getting paid monthly helps me rationalize it as 5 more pay days :D

Same as myself just waiting on vetting called two weeks ago and it was still underway afraid to call now ha
    Tryna keep busy till August so I don't go crazy , aware of the tiny chance of an offer this week for 2nd rounds but not looking at it realistically , hopeing for August gonna break it up by going on a holiday for a week for the summer have 3 weeks holidays to use up from work which is also helpful :)
    Hopeing this board will become more active once the 2nd round goes out for May

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Only PCT to do myself, oom of ~200 so hoping desperately for august.

I'm literally counting down the days.
    102 days until July first and we'll hopefully know by then.
    getting paid monthly helps me rationalize it as 5 more pay days :D

102 days makes it feel so far away :o

cjgblm wrote:
    102 days makes it feel so far away

We'll get there don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 JN94

I was talking to someone in HRM and they were saying it will be the end of August or the start of September intake as opposed to the end of July to the start of August intake. My prediction is that we attend the induction week in the end of August and we start in the college in September.

JN94 wrote: »
    I was talking to someone in HRM and they were saying it will be the end of August or the start of September intake as opposed to the end of July to the start of August intake. My prediction is that we attend the induction week in the end of August and we start in the college in September.

We'll get there eventually. This may be of interest to you;

I am informed by the Garda Commissioner that there will be four intakes of 200 trainee Garda in 2017 scheduled for 13 February, 2 May, 8 August and 6 November giving a total intake of 800 trainee Garda.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2016-11-15a.35

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 C0693

I've had all stages cleard since December and even had to go as far as meeting the chief superintendent in early January only to be told my vetting is still ongoing up until last week.

I've spoken quite a lot with HRM about my vetting and at this stage feel like an expert on the topic so I'll pass on what I know about the vetting process.

It can take up to 18 months to complete and begins after your interview. They will NEVER tell you what exactly is outstanding so could be anything or any number of things. They cannot say when its due back only that it can take 18 months. In my own personal situation I know exactly what the hold up is but can't imagine it being the same for majority.

As for meeting the local gardai my meeting with the chief is not something others should expect, you should only really expect a meeting with the sergeant and super in your local station.

Best thing I can say about vetting is that its not in your control and although it can be hard to hear its not finished its not really anyone's fault. Just sit tight and trust in the system working in your favour and check in with HRM every so often for an update just so you know for yourself and keep sane.

Also they do not contact you to let you know your vetting is complete. You will only hear from them when your offer is made so in my case for example my vetting could be complete right now and I'm none the wiser unless I contact them.

Advertisement