Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Trainee August 2017 intake

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Keeper34

I can't see it being a problem. You said you're leaving the job to work at home? So it's not like you left to go on the dole.

As long as you can give a good reason for leaving (and you have a pretty good one) I'd say you're golden. Add to that the advice of your local sergeant too and you've no worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭DonegalMan0544

Keeper34 wrote: »
    I can't see it being a problem. You said you're leaving the job to work at home? So it's not like you left to go on the dole.

As long as you can give a good reason for leaving (and you have a pretty good one) I'd say you're golden. Add to that the advice of your local sergeant too and you've no worries.

Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 SouthernBoy

Hi guys

In relation to the increments due to having a degree, does that apply to both holders of level 7 & 8 degrees or is it just for level 8 degree holders?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 micjo123

Hi guys

In relation to the increments due to having a degree, does that apply to both holders of level 7 & 8 degrees or is it just for level 8 degree holders?

Think it's just level 8 and has to be full time not part time. I did my degree part time so unfortunately I won't get any extra increments!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

micjo123 wrote: »
    Think it's just level 8 and has to be full time not part time. I did my degree part time so unfortunately I won't get any extra increments!

This seems very unfair, Why would they pay you for full time and not part time? If part time it would have cost you from your own pocket to get the qualification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 SouthernBoy

micjo123 wrote: »

Is there anywhere to get official information on this? I have a level 7 i did it full time. Also I too can't see why it should matter whether the degree was done full or part time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Grysa

Hey guys, i was hoping to get into it for august but got a letter saying I'm "generally unsuitable". Pretty disappointed after passing everything. Had an issue with driving with no insurance at one stage but the case got thrown out and i didn't get convicted, i think it had to be because of that..

• Registered Users Posts: 45 micjo123

carzony wrote: »
    This seems very unfair, Why would they pay you for full time and not part time? If part time it would have cost you from your own pocket to get the qualification.

Yep! I paid for the degree myself - I couldn't do full time because I'm working. It's a level 8 degree in psychology and you definitely don't get a higher increment if you studied part time. I saw it on the GRA website a few months ago. Now if they have changed it since then I'll be delighted! I have a few Garda friends who also said the same to me - they said it was very unfair - a degree is a degree! Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭BobbyDaisy

Grysa wrote: »
    Hey guys, i was hoping to get into it for august but got a letter saying I'm "generally unsuitable". Pretty disappointed after passing everything. Had an issue with driving with no insurance at one stage but the case got thrown out and i didn't get convicted, i think it had to be because of that..

Sorry to hear that. When did you recieve the letter?

Got it over 2 weeks ago. I applied for informal review, going to try and see the exact reason why they didn't accept me. I would understand if i was convicted for not having insurance on the day but i wasn't convicted and the sergeant and superintendent were happy enough with it to recommend me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Sorry, probably shouldn't have asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Marksy8429

Sorry to hear must be so frustrating after coming that far, strange that the suoer didn't give you any indication, definitely ask for a review. Did pas send you the letter or Gardaí?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lmcc98

does anyone know if you are allowed to have a guest stay overnight in your room at the weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Leeroy162

Lmcc98 wrote: »
    does anyone know if you are allowed to have a guest stay overnight in your room at the weekends?

Don't think you stay over at the weekends I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Vitaliy

Do people that are in Garda college, get a parking spot or do they have to get a lift over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Lmcc98 wrote:

No. You have to apply for special permission to stay there at the weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭mutter_man

Got it over 2 weeks ago. I applied for informal review, going to try and see the exact reason why they didn't accept me. I would understand if i was convicted for not having insurance on the day but i wasn't convicted and the sergeant and superintendent were happy enough with it to recommend me.

Sorry to hear that, its a crappy line to read, try and keep the chin up best you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭mutter_man

Vitaliy wrote: »
    Do people that are in Garda college, get a parking spot or do they have to get a lift over?

I would have assumed there is student parking same as numerous other Police colleges but that's a good question, anyone have a better answer than guessing please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sd82

Hey, I bought the Loughborough Multi stage fitness test CD, does anyone know if this is the same one as they use in Templemore on the day of your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sd82

Hey, I bought the Loughborough Multi stage fitness test CD, does anyone know if this is the same one as they use in Templemore on the day of your test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mabf

As far as I know you have to park at the tennis club across from the college as you would have done for any open days or your PCT.

Marksy8429 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear must be so frustrating after coming that far, strange that the suoer didn't give you any indication, definitely ask for a review. Did pas send you the letter or Gardaí?

Ya its quite disappointing to find this out after passing all exams, interview fitness...and waiting for sooo long. It was a letter from HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Crombiiiie991

Still waiting on vetting clearance and I'm from the January 16 campaign..how long does it take! worried about not getting a place for the August intake now :/

Still waiting on vetting clearance and I'm from the January 16 campaign..how long does it take! worried about not getting a place for the August intake now :/

It's different for everybody. I'm from the January 2016 campaign as well and only got clearance a week ago there really is no timeline on it

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pip92

BobbyDaisy wrote: »
    It's different for everybody. I'm from the January 2016 campaign as well and only got clearance a week ago there really is no timeline on it

How did you hear you got clearance. I'm January 2016 aswell

I'm from January 16 and would be lucky if my vetting even began a week ago ... :(

Pip92 wrote: »
    How did you hear you got clearance. I'm January 2016 aswell

I contacted them by email and they confirmed that my application was complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pip92

I contacted them by email and they confirmed that my application was complete.

Oh grand, Id be to afraid to email in case I don't like the answer :p fingers crossed for you for August

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Crombiiiie991

Pip92 wrote: »
    Oh grand, Id be to afraid to email in case I don't like the answer :p fingers crossed for you for August

Would any of ye consider re applying again for the 2017 campaign incase the worst case scenario arose and we didn't get august?

• Advertisement

Would any of ye consider re applying again for the 2017 campaign incase the worst case scenario arose and we didn't get august?

Just cause there's a new campaign doesn't mean that your application will be scrapped.

If you've everything passed there's no reason to reapply

Advertisement